2 of 2
Masonic Prejudice
Posted: 12 December 2016 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  367
Joined  2012-03-05
Brother John - 23 November 2016 01:53 PM
ChapterFour - 23 November 2016 12:43 PM

I am a member of a southern lodge, and I am struggling with the idea of not allowing black men into our lodges. I have heard a brother specifically tell me that he would not let a black man join the lodge as long as he was there. I hate this, and my understanding is that Masonry is meant to be a brotherhood, and that we are meant to regard all men equally. I honestly have felt like leaving the craft over this issue, and if any of my brothers saw me speak of this, I could be suspended or expelled. What can I do?

I’m troubled by your statement saying “I honestly have felt like leaving the craft over this issue, and if any of my brothers saw me speak of this, I could be suspended or expelled.” In my opinion, it would not be a masonic offence to speak up about this issue so you would not be in danger of suspension or expulsion by your Grand Lodge. The issue appears, from what you are saying, to be in your lodge. The Craft has been around a very long time and has seen most issues and has ways to navigate them. In a similar situation, I would be emailing my District Deputy Grand Master. This puts your issue on the record but, if you so request, keeps your name out of it in your lodge. The DDGM can then investigate the issue and come to some sort of conclusion.

In all honesty, though, you are bringing a knife to a gun fight. It would be a Masonic Offence to ask a man how he voted on a candidate or for a brother to reveal his vote. As a result, those who are poisoned with prejudice can continue their bigotry by simply keeping their mouths shut as they toss black balls into the voting box for no other reason than the color of a man’s skin. Unless and until either the bigots change their minds or pass on, there is little you could practically do.

On the other hand, time will heal this, too. As these bigoted men age and can no longer attend lodge you could be in the officer line gaining knowledge and experience for the time you sit in the East and can make the changes you want. Working within the Craft, all things are possible. You just need to develop the strength of character to stand when others would simply leave.

John, I know you mean well but you really need to update yourself on what’s going on in places like Arkansas. If he’s in a jurisdiction like that, yeah, he’d be suspended or expelled just for even bringing it up. The racism is coming from the top down in some jurisdictions and anybody who speaks out is punished.

And please stop saying things will change when the racists die off. Masons have been saying that for decades and it doesn’t appear to be any closer to coming true.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 12 December 2016 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  367
Joined  2012-03-05
Bro DHoward - 24 November 2016 11:16 PM
ChapterFour - 24 November 2016 08:41 PM

Im glad to hear that from a brother in the GL of Alabama. I grew up in Alabama, and my family still lives in Saraland, AL and am very proud to see that you feel the same as I do.

I can tell you that the GL’s official stance on the matter is that IF it is found out that a man is turned away because of his ethnicity then they will take measures to withdraw the offending lodge’s charter. However, we both know that votes are secret and it is actually a masonic offense to disclose the reason for the vote. So it is highly unlikely that the GL would find out the reason. And since it only takes 1 negative vote in our jurisdiction then it is a simple matter for a prejudiced man to block a petitioner.

Or maybe the Grand Lodge will do the exact opposite and try to take the charter of a lodge that dares to admit a black man, like Georgia did to Gate City #2.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 12 December 2016 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2015-11-25
DB32 - 12 December 2016 11:59 AM

And please stop saying things will change when the racists die off. Masons have been saying that for decades and it doesn’t appear to be any closer to coming true.

Having spent 35 years in MS and LA, I can say racism IS dying out. It is slow but it is happening. OR it’s being bred out. So many people have mixed families now. If your son has a baby with a black woman (or vice versa) you now have to ask yourself “do you have you own grandchild? Do you hate your own family?” Sometimes the answer is still yes they do. But it is changing more and more.

I think it cant change soon enough. Starting form the top down (my opinion) the UGLE needs to work towards seeing that all PH lodges are made blue lodges all on the same sheet of music. All US state lodges must accept PH lodges and blue lodges, blue lodges have to conform to this status or loose their blue lodge recognition. And additionally any lodge that refuses and man passed on race (hard to prove) also looses blue lodge recognition.

I’m sure it’s not that simple and I am sure some of you will punch my thoughts there full of holes starting with why UGLE cant don’t, wont do it, whatever.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 02 March 2017 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2014-08-22

I am a member of a southern lodge, and I am struggling with the idea of not allowing black men into our lodges. I have heard a brother specifically tell me that he would not let a black man join the lodge as long as he was there. I hate this, and my understanding is that Masonry is meant to be a brotherhood, and that we are meant to regard all men equally. I honestly have felt like leaving the craft over this issue, and if any of my brothers saw me speak of this, I could be suspended or expelled. What can I do?

I’m troubled by your statement saying “I honestly have felt like leaving the craft over this issue, and if any of my brothers saw me speak of this, I could be suspended or expelled.” In my opinion, it would not be a masonic offence to speak up about this issue so you would not be in danger of suspension or expulsion by your Grand Lodge. The issue appears, from what you are saying, to be in your lodge. The Craft has been around a very long time and has seen most issues and has ways to navigate them. In a similar situation, I would be emailing my District Deputy Grand Master. This puts your issue on the record but, if you so request, keeps your name out of it in your lodge. The DDGM can then investigate the issue and come to some sort of conclusion.

In all honesty, though, you are bringing a knife to a gun fight. It would be a Masonic Offence to ask a man how he voted on a candidate or for a brother to reveal his vote. As a result, those who are poisoned with prejudice can continue their bigotry by simply keeping their mouths shut as they toss black balls into the voting box for no other reason than the color of a man’s skin. Unless and until either the bigots change their minds or pass on, there is little you could practically do.

On the other hand, time will heal this, too. As these bigoted men age and can no longer attend lodge you could be in the officer line gaining knowledge and experience for the time you sit in the East and can make the changes you want. Working within the Craft, all things are possible. You just need to develop the strength of character to stand when others would simply leave.

Great answer!

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.6186 seconds.