Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Gnosticism and Freemasonry
Posted: 18 November 2016 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2016-08-25

It’s not a secret, that in order to become a freemason, one has to believe in a “Supreme being”. By stating so, and inheriting the gnostic philosophy of Kabbalah, do freemasons also inherit a gnostic dualism of a ‘bad’ material world and ‘good’ world of spirit? And do they have similar dual understanding of Demiurgh, as gnostics do, when there is an ‘evil’ Creator-God and ‘good’ observing-God from beyond, outside the wall of this world, as ancient god Ptah?

Posted: 18 November 2016 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2012-09-18

Some may study these lines but for the most part, most do not.
It all depends on the individuals thirst for knowledge about more than he grew up with.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 18 November 2016 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2328
Joined  2011-01-20
Gleb - 18 November 2016 03:01 AM

It’s not a secret, that in order to become a freemason, one has to believe in a “Supreme being”. By stating so, and inheriting the gnostic philosophy of Kabbalah, do freemasons also inherit a gnostic dualism of a ‘bad’ material world and ‘good’ world of spirit? And do they have similar dual understanding of Demiurgh, as gnostics do, when there is an ‘evil’ Creator-God and ‘good’ observing-God from beyond, outside the wall of this world, as ancient god Ptah?

Huh?

We don’t even talk about religion in lodge. That was one hell of a logical leap there.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 November 2016 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
Brother John - 18 November 2016 07:28 AM

Huh?

We don’t even talk about religion in lodge. That was one hell of a logical leap there.

Did I mention any re-ligion? Is it not a logical substitution of notions? ;)

if religion happens everywhere Supreme being and philosophy are mentioned - you were right.

Posted: 18 November 2016 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  430
Joined  2014-03-28

Gleb,

You seem to have an interest in linking Freemasonry to, or at least getting us to admit Freemasonry contains elements of, a very wide range of very curious beliefs and religions - first it was Isis and Ashtaroth, then witchcraft and now Gnosticism, the Kabbalah, opposing gods and such.

So, 1) yes, you have consistently mentioned religions and 2) I think you are overthinking this.

Freemasonry is not - not - a religion. We do not - not - tell our members that they should believe in any given religion, nor has Freemasonry taken little chunks of various religious beliefs and puréed them, nor is Freemasonry based on any particular religion. What a Mason believes in terms of theology is 100% up to him.

To the extent that Masonry is religious, it would have to be in those things shared by all major religions, things like the belief that a man will have to answer for his deeds here on earth, that it is our responsibility to behave well towards our fellow creatures, etc. Note that that does not mean that we teach or say just how or to Whom we will have to answer, etc, just general tenets of virtually every faith.

It Is true that Freemasonry utilizes some JudeoChristian Biblical figures in teaching allegories, but that’s all that they are, teaching aids. Nobody I have met actually believes they are historical fact.

So while there may be a few individual Freemasons who are interested in gnosticism or Isis or the Kabbalah or such, they are interested as individuals, not as Masons. Freemasonry does not borrow from, utilize, represent or lean towards - or away from - any faith.

So feel free to keep the questions coming, but you’re going to keep getting the same sort of response.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 19 November 2016 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2014-06-03

Discussion of religion in the lodge is forbidden. Yes, one must believe in a supreme being, but that’s about as far as any discussion about it goes. The supreme being is often referred to as the Grand Architect. Any other mention of religious beliefs or even Dogma is not allowed.

Also, as already mentioned by brother Lark, freemasonry is NOT a religion. It is first and foremost a Fraternity.

Rituals, teachings, and ceremonies may seem Judeo-Christian in nature, but that doesn’t make freemasonry Judeo-Christian. I personally am not a member of any of the Judeo-Christian faiths, even though a majority of brothers in my lodge are, and we all get along just fine.

Posted: 20 November 2016 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25

thanks a lot for that precise and fine answers. But again and again - I was not trying to even mix religion discussion to this question. I just wondered if there is or there is not a connection to such a philosophical (not religious) branch as Gnosticism.
One way of trying to understand something is comparison. If am not able to understand something, my mind will be helplessly looking for any similarity among paradigms it already knows, so that it can label that unknown something with ‘yes, it is something of this kind’.
Thank you and other brothers that help me and my mind to avoid doing so (labeling things).

Xarcell - 19 November 2016 06:25 PM

I personally am not a member of any of the Judeo-Christian faiths, even though a majority of brothers in my lodge are, and we all get along just fine.

when I first learned of the Freemasonry, I already got deep into modern hinduism and was seriously thinking that if I am to join and to take any oaths I would do that on the Bhagavad-Gita ) now I am back to Orthodox Christianity, which I was baptised to in childhood.

Additional question then, if polishing one’s character and work within to become a better man is unlike anything else in the world, what is brotherhood generally about then? Is it just about deepening the ways of helping each other and charity work?

Posted: 21 November 2016 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2012-09-18

It is that and also helping each other to understand how to become “better” by showing the way or illuminating a another nearby path.
Each man will take his own path but the light from those nearby can help to prevent stumbles in the dark.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 21 November 2016 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
W Br Gleason - 21 November 2016 02:25 AM

It is that and also helping each other to understand how to become “better” by showing the way or illuminating a another nearby path.
Each man will take his own path but the light from those nearby can help to prevent stumbles in the dark.

beautiful answer, thank you.

speaking of path as an allegory. Although sometimes it may not look wise for one person to start swimming across a river, and then just somewhere in the middle to change his mind and turn back, still in life such situations are very often. But if he would have sworn to cross the river of darkness and still did not manage to do so, stumbled and turned back - is there a way back for such a person?

Posted: 22 November 2016 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1244
Joined  2011-11-10

If you are asking if someone has committed a crime or misdemeanour, then the answer is that it depends on the nature of the failure and how long ago it happened. For example (using extremes), speeding tickets… He may have to wait a couple of years and show that he has stopped breaking the law (or getting caught anyway). Murder… He could forget ever being accepted.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 22 November 2016 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
Richard George - 22 November 2016 01:43 AM

If you are asking if someone has committed a crime or misdemeanour

No, I was asking of a simpler situation, when like in “War and Peace”, one can join the brotherhood, but then think “Emmm, no, this is not my way”. Is there a way back for such a person?

Posted: 22 November 2016 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1244
Joined  2011-11-10

Yup. He just resigns. He is however, expected to keep his word with regard to what he has learned. Not all do, but that’s between them and their conscience.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3650 seconds.