Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

In Lodge
Posted: 16 October 2016 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2016-01-21

Regarding what happened in lodge, if a Br∴ didn’t come to a meeting and he asks what happened is it allowed to tell him or he just missed it by not being there.

I’m curious to know how is it done elsewhere, down here he just missed it and that´s it.

Signature 

José Bonilla
EA∴ at M∴R∴L∴S∴ Miguel Paz Baraona #2
Honduras
Central America
Entered February 15th 2016

Posted: 16 October 2016 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1256
Joined  2011-11-10

That’s what the minutes are for ...

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 16 October 2016 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4054
Joined  2007-09-27

Exactly, we keep minutes as a “true and perfect” account of what transpires during a meeting so that members who are not present will know exactly what they missed, also to ensure a lodge record for posterity.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 16 October 2016 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2014-06-15

In our jurisdiction, IF we know the man to be a brother AND member of our lodge then we are allowed to discuss the business that occurred during the meeting, but we are not bound to discuss and may elect to decline. However, may not discuss a vote except to say whether it passed or not. Any other discussion of details must be made in person in open lodge.

My personal opinion is that we are safe to skim the surface of the happenings of lodge business but when it starts to get into “deep discussion” it needs to stop and be taken up in lodge.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 16 October 2016 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2014-04-16

Don’t see a problem in telling a Brother what happened in Lodge when it comes to certain stuff.

But, I personally never had a Brother ask me about a Lodge meet… every meeting our Secretary has the minute’s from the previous meetings for the Brethren.

Signature 

Bro. Torres

United Brethren Lodge A.F. & A.M. Marlborough, MA
Houghton Royal Arch Chapter, Marlborough, MA
Eureka Royal Arch Chapter, Worcester, MA
Hiram Council (R&S.M.), Worcester, MA
Aletheia Grotto, West Boylston, MA
Massasoit Forest #91 (Tall Cedars of Lebanon), Glocester, RI
Worcester County Commandery No.5, Worcester, MA

Posted: 17 October 2016 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
Jorge E. Torres - 16 October 2016 09:35 PM

Don’t see a problem in telling a Brother what happened in Lodge when it comes to certain stuff.

But, I personally never had a Brother ask me about a Lodge meet… every meeting our Secretary has the minute’s from the previous meetings for the Brethren.

Assuming of course, that they come to the next meeting to hear those minutes read. ;)

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 17 October 2016 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2014-04-16
Bro DHoward - 17 October 2016 08:20 AM
Jorge E. Torres - 16 October 2016 09:35 PM

Assuming of course, that they come to the next meeting to hear those minutes read. ;)

You’re absolutely right. Haha

Signature 

Bro. Torres

United Brethren Lodge A.F. & A.M. Marlborough, MA
Houghton Royal Arch Chapter, Marlborough, MA
Eureka Royal Arch Chapter, Worcester, MA
Hiram Council (R&S.M.), Worcester, MA
Aletheia Grotto, West Boylston, MA
Massasoit Forest #91 (Tall Cedars of Lebanon), Glocester, RI
Worcester County Commandery No.5, Worcester, MA

Posted: 17 October 2016 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Here’s a question for you; what about those members who are perhaps too ill or too frail to attend any more? Don’t they still deserve to know what goes on in their lodge? How many US lodges circulate copies of the minutes to their members? It’s become (or becoming) the norm over here.

Signature 

Richard
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 17 October 2016 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4054
Joined  2007-09-27
Richard George - 17 October 2016 10:38 AM

Here’s a question for you; what about those members who are perhaps too ill or too frail to attend any more? Don’t they still deserve to know what goes on in their lodge? How many US lodges circulate copies of the minutes to their members? It’s become (or becoming) the norm over here.

In my lodges, the communication notice that goes out each month includes information about what the lodge is up to.  There’s usually a brief mention of what we did last month, and a bit more detail about what is coming up.  So, members who live elsewhere or cannot make it are still apprised of the lodge activity.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 17 October 2016 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
Richard George - 17 October 2016 10:38 AM

Our lodge sends emails out to all of the members who have provided us with a working email, and briefly mentions upcoming events, recent events, any lodge business that needs to be taken care of or has been taken care of, etc… But specifics will never be mailed or emailed.

We only send out two mailings a year and that is for anything Grand Lodge related in the fall and our end of year communications (dues, bylaw changes, etc). We can and do occasionally send out other special mailings if there is an important/urgent item that needs to be handled, but again no specifics. Specifics and details are only officially discussed in lodge. However, there is no rule against a brother/friend relaying information as needed.

We also have a website and Facebook page with some information.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 17 October 2016 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2016-01-21

thank you all Br∴ for your responses it has been really enlightening.

down here we all know each other (sort of) it’s only about 300 of us countrywide.

Signature 

José Bonilla
EA∴ at M∴R∴L∴S∴ Miguel Paz Baraona #2
Honduras
Central America
Entered February 15th 2016

Posted: 18 October 2016 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Interesting.  As a rule, I’ve noticed that -locally anyway- the resignations from older members started to fall once lodges started sending copies of the minutes with the summons.  Tends to suggest to me that they felt more involved -even if unable to attend- by being a party to what happened at the previous meeting.  I don’t personally see any difficulty in sending minutes round as there’s nothing in them that can’t be shown .. how much was donated to charity, who proposed X, who seconded it, who sent apologies, who delivered the Charge after Initiation etc.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 18 October 2016 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2014-03-28

I see no reason not to tell a member of my own lodge what happened in a meeting. From a brother of my own rank, I have no Masonic secrets.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 18 March 2017 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2014-08-22
Lark - 18 October 2016 04:42 PM

I see no reason not to tell a member of my own lodge what happened in a meeting. From a brother of my own rank, I have no Masonic secrets.

Sounds right to me.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

‹‹ Help with a festive board      Inherited ring ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4914 seconds.