Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Why is masonic architecture commonly found among our homes?
Posted: 12 October 2016 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2016-03-28

Hello I have a question, most commonly I notice the royal arch of heaven along with the all seeing eye and rising sun windows incorporated into many domestic homes, it is obvious the humans who designed these buildings must be aware they are spiritually/masonically discerned and it makes me wonder if it has anything to do with freemasonry.

Why do so many mid upper class homes and buildings feature masonic architecture? there aren’t THAT many freemasons around for it to add up.. Do any other more common spiritual things in society refer to the royal arch…...? tarot? Rosicrucianism? the big buildings don’t puzzle me as much, but the homes! how come so many common homes have masonic architecture? are all modern tradesman still freemasons? last I checked that wasn’t the case, are more people masonic than I think?? what gives? I know some people decorate their homes with a Buddha, but this almost seems as if the world holds a hidden masonic religion.

Below I am going to post some small and medium scale architecture and I would appreciate if you checked it out..

Small scale

(Mid upper class home) featuring the royal arch/“rising sun” light window which is also incorporated into the garage door skylight. The rounded part between the slanting roofs is reminicent of the all seeing eye, this design is regularly incorporated into cathedrals in stained glass, the arch/sun windows are seen on many many homes throughout the west in much bolder examples also.

- https://s22.postimg.org/bqfpnp3mp/housess.jpg

(Bathroom tile from my own home) This is one of three identical tiles within my old bathroom, we see the square, the compass/pyramid and the light rising forth.

- https://s21.postimg.org/idsxd9edj/WP_20151106_003_1.jpg

Medium scale

(Myer shopping centre chain) The logo for this shopping corporation is the risng sun, here you can see an entrance to the building featuring the royal arch with its hard to see keystone cement design above.

- https://s16.postimg.org/cozahfz5h/themyercentre_queenstreetmall_20150810_wide.jpg

(Marriot hotel) owned by mormons this is just one of many marriot hotels across the globe, apart from the obvious royal arch checkered floor foyer, the top of the building is sealed with the “dome” of heaven and the exterior is decorated with the sun cross windows derived from Helios on his chariot, in each room draw is placed the book of mormon. (not going into masonic/mormon connection in this post none the less)

- https://s17.postimg.org/puvlyabsf/masonic_marriot_hotel_brisbane.jpg

Posted: 12 October 2016 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4036
Joined  2007-09-27

The simple answer is….there is no such thing as Masonic architecture.  Masonry utilizes existing architecture column types in its ritual.  We didn’t invent architecture.  I think what you are doing is seeing things that to you look SIMILAR to SYMBOLS that you associate with Masonry, and are automatically making the conclusion that Freemasonry was the influence here.

I would say that would be a false conclusion.  Your bathroom tile image…I really think that is just a coincidence that there appears to be a square on the bottom of it.  I don’t see any compasses.  If it were actually Masonic symbolism, why go half way? 

As for the rising sun thing…..I’m sure it isn’t news to you that the rising sun is MUCH older than Freemasonry, and has influence mankind long before our fraternity came along, so it isn’t a surprise to find it incorporated into a logo or building design.

Checkered floors….supposedly were incorporated into Solomon’s temple, and I’ve seen those patterns in ancient Greek and Roman ruins…so nothing Masonic there either.

Believe me, I’m keen to find examples of ACTUAL Masonic influence in buildings.  None of your examples appear to be that to me.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 12 October 2016 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4036
Joined  2007-09-27

Put another way…there are actually a pretty finite number of symbols and designs that have continually been recycled throughout history.  That the Freemasons borrow some of these symbols doesn’t mean that they are then “Masonic”.  Humans recycle ideas and motifs.  They do it in religion, they do it in architecture, they do just about everywhere.  I would say let common sense dictate your conclusions here.  And remember, being “reminiscent of” something doesn’t mean it is equal to something.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 12 October 2016 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1448
Joined  2010-11-01
User112 - 12 October 2016 09:56 AM

Hello I have a question, most commonly I notice the royal arch of heaven along with the all seeing eye and rising sun windows incorporated into many domestic homes, it is obvious the humans who designed these buildings must be aware they are spiritually/masonically discerned and it makes me wonder if it has anything to do with freemasonry.

More likely, the designers of the materials used in the structures, simply liked the design…..Coupled with the architectural fact that arcs are indeed stronger.  In the images you provided I find no actual Freemasonic symbols.  The one of your bathroom tile is close, in that I do see a square, however that is it.  What many folks do not want to realize is that symbols can and more often do, have multiple meanings.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 12 October 2016 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-03-28
PDH825 - 12 October 2016 10:43 AM
User112 - 12 October 2016 09:56 AM

More likely, the designers of the materials used in the structures, simply liked the design…..Coupled with the architectural fact that arcs are indeed stronger.  In the images you provided I find no actual Freemasonic symbols.  The on of your bathroom tile is close, in that I do see a square, however that is it.

Let me think for a moment..  say it wasn’t sourced purely from Freemasons themselves, how did you think these designs managed to get on houses, is it relevent in Greek/Latin world or something, the reason I wonder this is because there aren’t enough freemasons for the amount of architecture, I have a theory….

Masons have always been master medieval builders and the tradition was carried down by architects around the Western world, till the current “modern age”

Posted: 12 October 2016 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-03-28

Actually guys notice at the top of the page that window Benjamin Franklin is standing next to? that is like the exact thing I mean, I bet that window has an arch at the top with the “sun beam” supports through the glass.. what is this white picket fence world?

Posted: 12 October 2016 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-01

There is no such thing as Masonic Architecture, regardless of what you want to believe.  Also, the all seeing eye, aka the Eye of providence, is not strictly masonic.  It is far older than that as is the depiction of the rays of sun. 

The 6 orders of architecture mentioned anywhere in our ritual are the Doric, Ionic and Corinthian which were invented by the ancient Greeks.  The Tuscan and Composite were both Created by the Romans and then there is the Gothic which was from the mid to late medieval period and originated in France in the 12th century.  All much older than our Fraternity.

Signature 

St. Georges Lodge #6

Scribe

Jr. Warden

Schenectady NY

Posted: 12 October 2016 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-01
User112 - 12 October 2016 11:14 AM

Actually guys notice at the top of the page that window Benjamin Franklin is standing next to? that is like the exact thing I mean, I bet that window has an arch at the top with the “sun beam” supports through the glass.. what is this white picket fence world?

Actually, the window Franklin is standing in front of was more than likely intended to be Independence Hall in Philadelphia and the only windows he could have stood in front of were all rectangular in shape.  I have physically been there and seen the building inside and out so I have first hand knowledge of the building.

Signature 

St. Georges Lodge #6

Scribe

Jr. Warden

Schenectady NY

Posted: 12 October 2016 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-01
User112 - 12 October 2016 11:01 AM

Let me think for a moment..  say it wasn’t sourced purely from Freemasons themselves, how did you think these designs managed to get on houses, is it relevent in Greek/Latin world or something, the reason I wonder this is because there aren’t enough freemasons for the amount of architecture, I have a theory….

Masons have always been master medieval builders and the tradition was carried down by architects around the Western world, till the current “modern age”

The designs got onto houses as you say, because they were designed by architects who studied the theory and concepts behind the physics of building.  The builder simply transfers those 2D designs on paper into a 3D object using the designs and specs laid out by the architect.

Signature 

St. Georges Lodge #6

Scribe

Jr. Warden

Schenectady NY

Posted: 12 October 2016 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2328
Joined  2011-01-20

When I first became a Mason, I saw symbols everywhere. I noticed columns in front of buildings and said to myself, “Those are part of our symbols!” Now, I notice the roof the columns are holding up and realize they have a practical application. Architecture has many classic forms. My house, for example is known as a “Cape”. Some of these forms were used by our ancient brothers mainly for the same reason they are today: that’s what the customer wanted.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 November 2016 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2016-08-25

I don’t think this argument is very strong, when we say that something (like the eye of providence or chequered tiles of Solomon’s temple) is not strictly masonic. It is absolutely correct that those symbols are not only used by freemasons, but for me sometimes it sounds like if you said that cross or fish is not strictly symbol for christianity, and half-moon is not strictly a symbol for islam, and there are millions of hindus out there trying to argue if the Star of David is a Jewish symbol. Yes and no. Because we all know that each of the abovementioned groups utilizes and mentiones corresponding universal symbols more than any of others.
Now what for the architecture - neither I could find anything masonic in the pictures attached to the question, but there are much more examples if you walk down central streets somewhere in London, or even in Saint Petersburgh or Moscow. Universal and architectual symbols, but ones that were intentionally incorporated by many famous architect freemasons.

Posted: 18 November 2016 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2328
Joined  2011-01-20

Ok, let’s turn this question around. What if you intentionally wanted to build a building that had no symbols. I contend that it couldn’t be done. Even a yurt is a circle, a symbol used by many.  When we see any object it is our nature to attach symbolism to it. This is the reason we use the tools of operative masons as our symbols. A square has no morality but we use the Square to remind us to be virtuous. Of course another group may attach a different meaning to it. I think that’s what may be going on here.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 November 2016 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2016-08-25
Brother John - 18 November 2016 07:42 AM

Ok, let’s turn this question around. What if you intentionally wanted to build a building that had no symbols. I contend that it couldn’t be done. Even a yurt is a circle, a symbol used by many.  When we see any object it is our nature to attach symbolism to it. This is the reason we use the tools of operative masons as our symbols. A square has no morality but we use the Square to remind us to be virtuous. Of course another group may attach a different meaning to it. I think that’s what may be going on here.

cannot disagree here with you, being a linguist

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4170 seconds.