Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
Introduction from a recent Mason in the UK
Posted: 14 October 2016 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2016-10-06

Thank you my brother. I removed all these references. I belong to a craft lodge. This lodge is under the Provincial Grand Lodge of Berkshire. But myself, I am not a member of the Provincial Grand Lodge. I think all Masons in that lodge are JW, SW or WM of craft lodges. The whole thing is then under the UGLE.

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom
Currently: FC, Steward - Lodge: 8362

Posted: 14 October 2016 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2011-11-10

I think you’ve completely misunderstood, so to clarify…

There is a ‘body’ that calls itself “The Regular Grand Lodge of England”.  It is not regular - it, doesn’t actually exist except in the minds of one or two eluded ex-masons, one of whom may actually have died as we’ve not heard from him in a while.  The problem is they have a web presence so can be found online and misconstrued to be representative of Freemasonry.  You don’t therefore use the term ‘regular’ (certainly with a capital ‘R’!) when talking about UGLE or your Province to avoid that confusion.  We are ‘regular’ (description), but not ‘Regular’ (title/noun).  Masons will understand what you mean just by using ‘UGLE’.

You on the other hand, are a member of the Sons of Kendrick No. 8362 which has 31 subscribing members, and is in the Province of Berkshire.  Whilst you personally are not a member of the Provincial Grand LODGE of Berkshire, you ARE a member of the PROVINCE of Berkshire.  You become a member of the Provincial Grand LODGE of Berkshire when you (eventually) get appointed to Provincial Grand Rank.

As a for instance.  I’m a member of 3 lodges that meet in the Province of Cambridgeshire; that makes me a member of the Province. I’m ALSO a member of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Cambridgeshire as I’ve been appointed to Provincial Grand Rank and have held office and positions within both the Provincial Grand Lodge and the ORGANISATION of the Province.  I’m a member of United Grand Lodge of England by virtue of being a Past Master of a lodge - NOT by virtue of being a Provincial Grand Officer.  Why? Because Master Masons can be appointed to Provincial Grand Rank - but that doesn’t entitle them to vote in Grand Lodge, only in PROVINCIAL Grand Lodge.

What all this means is that you can quite happily say that you are a member of 8362, the Province of Berkshire and UGLE.  You are not yet(!) a member of the Provincial Grand LODGE of Berkshire or Grand Lodge - (that is to say a VOTING member of UGLE)

BTW - I think it unlikely that all your members are WM, SW, or JWs - there will be one WM, one SW, one JW, Grand and Provincial Grand Officers, PMs, and the rest Master Masons, although they may well be members of other lodges. 

Does that make things clearer?

Oh, and unlike the US, you are entitled to vote in ballots etc within your own lodge.  You, unlike many in the US, pay subscriptions when you join - unlike the US where they pay subs when they become a Master Mason.  You therefore, have a say in who becomes Master of your lodge, whereas your opposite number (EA/FC) in the US doesn’t.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 14 October 2016 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4003
Joined  2007-09-27

Well….I found that VERY enlightening.  I learned something new today!  Thanks, Brother Richard!

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 14 October 2016 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-10-06

Thank you Richard. I am going to print your post and attach it to my blue book. It gives me perspective of where I am and how FM is organised.

I will be more careful with the use of the word “regular”. There is a certain emphasis on it in the Q&As; I learnt for FC. That’s why I used it so liberally.

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom

Posted: 14 October 2016 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Quite often, the difficulty is getting the head round the concept of being the member of an organisation with a particular name, and that of being a member of the entity of the same name. UGLE and a Province as examples - the organisations and the entities.

Signature 

Richard
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 14 October 2016 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-10-06

Oh, question: how do you know how many members are in my lodge?

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom

Posted: 14 October 2016 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  928
Joined  2011-03-20
mystic-tie - 14 October 2016 08:51 AM

Now there’s a mystery for you :)

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 15 October 2016 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Now that would be telling!
It’s one of those Masonic secrets :)

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 16 November 2016 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2015-11-25
mystic-tie - 06 October 2016 12:28 PM

Hello

I am new in this forum, so I wanted just to post this first message to say hello and introduce myself.

I live in Reading, Berkshire, UK. I was initiated last year and I will be passed to FC next month. I am looking forward to it.

My lodge is part of the UGLE (United Grand Lodge of England [it seems they more or less manage/approve all the lodges in the country]). So far I am enjoying being a Mason. The brethren are friendly and supportive. Btw, I didn’t know that an excellent memory is a big plus in Freemasonry!!!

To be honest, I don’t understand everything at this stage. I still feel in the dark. I am participating in something bigger than me for sure. During certain works, I leave the lodge, so I don’t see everything.

Well, happy to meet!

Hello from an Entered Apprentice in Colorado USA.

I am also in the dark seeking light. I came to Freemasonry not knowing a single thing about it, and not knowing a single mason. The first mason I met was at the door of the lodge when I went to introduce myself.

If my understanding is correct, the only thing you are missing when you leave the lodge, is the ritual work of the degrees you have not done yet. As you progress you will participate in those rituals and then there will be no need for you to leave.

There are multiple good reasons for making a man wait to see and experience those rituals for himself. Probably the best reason being that by experiencing it for yourself the first time you get to take in the full effect for your own benefit…...

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 21 March 2017 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10
mystic-tie - 14 October 2016 08:51 AM

Forgot to follow up with the answer.  I have access to the GL database and one of the things I can do is see how many members there are in a lodge - I can’t see any details of those members unless the lodge belongs to my own Province (before you ask about data protection!)

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3245 seconds.