Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
Introduction from a recent Mason in the UK
Posted: 06 October 2016 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2016-10-06

Hello

I am new in this forum, so I wanted just to post this first message to say hello and introduce myself.

I live in Reading, Berkshire, UK. I was initiated last year and I will be passed to FC next month. I am looking forward to it.

My lodge is part of the UGLE (United Grand Lodge of England [it seems they more or less manage/approve all the lodges in the country]). So far I am enjoying being a Mason. The brethren are friendly and supportive. Btw, I didn’t know that an excellent memory is a big plus in Freemasonry!!!

To be honest, I don’t understand everything at this stage. I still feel in the dark. I am participating in something bigger than me for sure. During certain works, I leave the lodge, so I don’t see everything.

Well, happy to meet!

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom
Currently: MM, Steward - Lodge: 8362

Posted: 06 October 2016 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2011-01-20

Welcome to the forum, brother.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 07 October 2016 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1247
Joined  2011-11-10

Welcome to the forum.  UGLE actually runs [regular] Freemasonry only in England and Wales; the sister Grand Lodges of Scotland and Ireland run Masonry in their respective countries.

BTW - your signature should read something like;

EA (FC when you get there..), [under the] Provincial Grand Lodge of Berkshire, UGLE

:)

(list your mother lodge in your profile .. might already be there; haven’t checked)

- Under our ‘rules’, you don’t become a member of the ‘Provincial Grand Lodge of Berkshire’ until you become master of your lodge .. at the mo’ you’re a member of a lodge under the PGL .. it’ll just clear things up for non-EC members who are not completely up on how we’re set up and avoid questions that you’re not likely to be in a position to answer ATM.  Check my profile and you’ll see what I mean.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 07 October 2016 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-10-06

Thank you :)

I just edited my signature. I am not totally confident with the structure of the Freemasonry as yet. I will ask my mentor next time I see him.

I belong to Lodge 8362 (Sons of Kendrick). It was founded in 1971.

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom

Posted: 07 October 2016 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10
mystic-tie - 07 October 2016 03:19 AM

Thank you :)

I am not totally confident with the structure of the Freemasonry as yet.

You’re not expected to be :)  Unsure of anything just ask; there are a couple of us here that will be able to answer (even if it’s to say ‘speak to someone’ if it’s not something that can be answered in an open forum).

Signature 

Richard
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 07 October 2016 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2011-03-20

Welcome to the Forum.

A couple of us here are actually from England.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 07 October 2016 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-10-06

Oh, good to know Mike :)

My feeling is that most of the Brethren in here are US-based but I am happy to know that there are some from England.

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom

Posted: 07 October 2016 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
mystic-tie - 07 October 2016 08:18 AM

My feeling is that most of the Brethren in here are US-based but I am happy to know that there are some from England.

You’re feeling is correct. This site is owned by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts and the moderators are all Massachusetts Masons. We score pretty high on Google, though so we do tend to attract a diverse group of posters. We are always happy to help no matter where you’re from. There are members here from all over the world proving once again the universality of Freemasonry. 

The presiding Master and Wardens are voting members of Grand Lodge here in Massachusetts (US) so when my term as Master of my lodge runs out next June I will no longer be a voting member of Grand Lodge. I can attend the meetings but I will not have a vote. Are Past Masters (I know, I’m a Past Master as soon as I open Lodge from the East. I mean after your term ends) voting members of the GL in England?

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 07 October 2016 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-10-06
Brother John - 07 October 2016 08:41 AM

Are Past Masters (I know, I’m a Past Master as soon as I open Lodge from the East. I mean after your term ends) voting members of the GL in England?

I don’t know if they can vote. As an EA for almost a year now, I am unable to tell who can vote in the GL.

However, our IPM and other PMs don’t open the lodge at all. It’s opened by the WM.

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom

Posted: 07 October 2016 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
mystic-tie - 07 October 2016 08:55 AM
Brother John - 07 October 2016 08:41 AM

Are Past Masters (I know, I’m a Past Master as soon as I open Lodge from the East. I mean after your term ends) voting members of the GL in England?

I don’t know if they can vote. As an EA for almost a year now, I am unable to tell who can vote in the GL.

However, our IPM and other PMs don’t open the lodge at all. It’s opened by the WM.

Sorry about the confusion. In my jurisdiction, the presiding Master is considered a “Past Master” as soon as he has completed the opening of his lodge for the first time. I have been the Worshipful Master of my lodge for a little over fifteen months now (I was re-elected after my first year in the East). I was installed as Worshipful Master in June of last year. I opened lodge for the first time in July 2015 and became a “Past Master” immediately after that opening ceremony. So, even though I’m still the presiding Worshipful Master, I’m also a Past Master if nothing else, in title.

When my term in the East ends, I will lose my privilege of voting in Grand Lodge.

One of the members of this forum used to be the Postal Worker who delivered mail to my company’s office. Our offices at the time were in an old Masonic building that was sold to a private party. We rented space there. One day, I heard someone walking around the hallways and went to investigate. It was the Postman. He was admiring the building and we struck up a conversation. When I gave him my card he read, “Worshipful Master, Ancient York Lodge” and started calling me “Worshipful”. A couple of weeks later, he was nice enough to bring our mail up to the office rather than leaving it in the front hallway. I happened to be in the office and he greeted me with, “Hi Worshipful !” Every head in the room snapped around, looking at me. I told my co-workers that they could address me as “Worshipful” if they would like to as well. :)

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 07 October 2016 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2011-03-20
mystic-tie - 07 October 2016 08:18 AM

There’s no harm in being a member of an american forum but just remember that the US form of Freemasonry is not the same as ours and can lead you astray. If you do want to discuss and or ask questions about Freemasonry under the “Home Grand Lodges” (England, Ireland and Scotland) you can always join the Forum linked in my signature file below.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 09 October 2016 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Under the EC (English Constitution), Masters, Past Masters and current Wardens are members of Grand Lodge (and Provincial Grand Lodge) and can attend and vote.  Past Masters are only considered/named as such after the complete their term of office (and once they have installed their successor).

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 13 October 2016 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-10-06
mystic-tie - 06 October 2016 12:28 PM

To be honest, I don’t understand everything at this stage. I still feel in the dark. I am participating in something bigger than me for sure. During certain works, I leave the lodge, so I don’t see everything.

The great thing Brother is once you have been “Raised” to the sublime degree of Master Mason you will have been able to receive even further “Light” and won’t feel as “in the dark” :)

Keep working with your mentors and as any Master Mason will attest to even ones whom have been Masters for quite a period of time.  There is always more to learn in the craft and willing Brothers to share their knowledge.

Signature 

Brother Muze

F&AM; Grayling Lodge #356 Michigan

Posted: 13 October 2016 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4043
Joined  2007-09-27

Welcome!  Shouldn’t your profile say “FC” if you are a Fellow Craft?
So much “stuff” to learn, isn’t there?  It’ll all make sense after about 10 years ;)

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 14 October 2016 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-10-06

I will be passed next month :) Very nervous about it. I know my part very well but I don’t know what to expect. It seems to me like my initiation is not finished yet. When it happens, I will remove EA from my signature and write FC.

Here, we are slow with degrees. The reason is that the lodge meets 4 times a year. One of these meetings is the installation. This leaves only 3 meetings for everything else.

Brother Muze / I am looking forward to be raised. That would be mid or late 2017 :)

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom

Posted: 14 October 2016 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

You need to remove the word ‘regular’ from the section of your profile talking about your membership . It’s important. There was/is a so-called Regular Grand Lodge of England that most definitely wasn’t! You most certainly DO NOT want to be associated with them. The correct terminology is “Provincial Grand Lodge of Berkshire, UGLE”

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3949 seconds.