Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Investigating a new candidate
Posted: 12 September 2016 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-08-30

Ok if this is in the wrong place or if it has been addressed before let me know…

I have an awkward situation. I have been charged as chair on an investative committee to interview a possible candidate he just turn 21 and my Worshipful Master was one of the ones to vouch for him on his petition. This is my first year as a mason and this is my forst time chairing s committee Just interviewing him and his fiancé, I see no reason to no recommend him, but having talk to a few people who know him say that he is immature and have some trust issues with him. One fellowcraft that knows him has gone far enough to say that freemasonry is not safe with him.

What should I do?...

Posted: 12 September 2016 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2010-06-07

I suspect there’s a better place for this thread, and one of the moderators will move it accordingly.

If it were me in your position, I’d sit down with the WM over a cup of coffee and have an informal discussion with him privately about what you’ve found so far. He may not have known him as well as he thought when he signed the petition for him. This might just be a case where the first and second line signers would like to have a discussion with the potential candidate and discuss some of these findings with him informally; the petition might just be withdrawn at that point instead of having to deliver an unfavorable report in open lodge.

Your duty is to report your findings accurately - you can do nothing else as a committee chair. If the petition is withdrawn before you deliver the report in lodge because of your discussion with the WM you have still guarded the West gate well, my Brother. 

Good luck.

Posted: 12 September 2016 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-08-30

Thanks a lot… I believe I will sit down with him and have a little chat.

Posted: 19 September 2016 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-08-30

Just to give a little update. I had a chit chat with my WM and though he said he did vouch for him, he trusts my judgment and that I should talk with my JW, who gave me some really good advice.

He said as chair of the committee I am to simply report all my findings both good and bad and to let the brothers vote their conscience.

Posted: 27 September 2016 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-09-26
Gkpmaster - 19 September 2016 01:14 AM

Just to give a little update. I had a chit chat with my WM and though he said he did vouch for him, he trusts my judgment and that I should talk with my JW, who gave me some really good advice.

He said as chair of the committee I am to simply report all my findings both good and bad and to let the brothers vote their conscience.

I agree with the word of your JW here. Report all findings good or bad to your brothers and let due process take its course.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3430 seconds.