Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 3
How does one advance in the Scottish rite?
Posted: 13 September 2016 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2012-09-18

Since there are residency requirements to join a “Blue Lodge”, you could not just travel to the US to get the three Degrees.
Once you are a Master Mason and a member of Scottish Rite, you could then aquire any of the additional Degrees as a visitor once you have been verified as legit.
So, as you can see, it will not be a fast process either here or there.
So my advice is to petition a Lodge and become a MM and then decide if you really want to join any of the appendent bodies.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 13 September 2016 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2016-03-28
W Br Gleason - 13 September 2016 06:38 PM

Since there are residency requirements to join a “Blue Lodge”, you could not just travel to the US to get the three Degrees.
Once you are a Master Mason and a member of Scottish Rite, you could then aquire any of the additional Degrees as a visitor once you have been verified as legit.
So my advice is to petition a Lodge and become a MM and then decide if you really want to join any of the appendent bodies.

Okay so we have residency requirements to join a US blue lodge, I must complete the craft lodge degrees here, then if I decide to move into the Scottish rite I can complete them there as a visitor, well thanks I have sent an email to the grand lodge of Pennsylvania inquiring about it.

This thread is actually a huge success, once again I thank all that come to my aid.

Posted: 14 September 2016 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  2010-11-01
User112 - 13 September 2016 04:06 PM

Well thanks for clearing that up brother Howard, I fully understand what the honourary 33rd degree is all about now.

For the time being I would like some advise on attending the US masonic courses, freemasonry here in Australia is very slow moving, I am single with no family and am an aspiring masonic enthusiast, I would definitely make the trip to participate in the US courses however I am unsure of the following things..

I do not require respect from ‘some’ others and would most appreciate it if anyone could chime in on this subject, or if you have any leads, contacts or advice I can keep trying to find out myself also.

As you can see I have ignored those who meant to hinder and dismay me and am working for positive outcome, this is for myself and no other although you may one day call me brother, and I may just be one to you.

Since it is me that you are choosing to ignore, although I do speak the truth but it does not fit your agenda, you probably will not see this anyway but…
You cannot join an Australian Lodge then come to the US simply to try and speed up the process.  It does not work that way.  It is clear that you have no desire to do the actual work of becoming a Mason nor do you have an understanding of what Masonry is.  I do wish you well on your life’s journey, wherever it may take you.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 14 September 2016 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1257
Joined  2011-11-10

And me apparently - for suggesting he read the Scottish Rite pages for the Australian Supreme Council.  I wonder if the US Councils would ask why he chooses not to join in his home Jurisdiction.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 14 September 2016 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-03-28
PDH825 - 14 September 2016 06:56 AM

Well thanks for clearing that up brother Howard, I fully understand what the honourary 33rd degree is all about now.

For the time being I would like some advise on attending the US masonic courses, freemasonry here in Australia is very slow moving, I am single with no family and am an aspiring masonic enthusiast, I would definitely make the trip to participate in the US courses however I am unsure of the following things..

I do not require respect from ‘some’ others and would most appreciate it if anyone could chime in on this subject, or if you have any leads, contacts or advice I can keep trying to find out myself also.

As you can see I have ignored those who meant to hinder and dismay me and am working for positive outcome, this is for myself and no other although you may one day call me brother, and I may just be one to you.

Since it is me that you are choosing to ignore, although I do speak the truth but it does not fit your agenda, you probably will not see this anyway but…
You cannot join an Australian Lodge then come to the US simply to try and speed up the process.  It does not work that way.  It is clear that you have no desire to do the actual work of becoming a Mason nor do you have an understanding of what Masonry is.  I do wish you well on your life’s journey, wherever it may take you.

@Richard George, not you at all.

@PDH825, it is not so much you I am ignoring but rather your hypocrisy, you tell me to slowly advance through the degrees yet you took the Scottish rite day class yourself. ever notive the abundance of 32nd’s on this forum, it is indeed rather hysterically hilarious.

Regardless I wish you well also, good day.

Posted: 14 September 2016 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-01
User112 - 14 September 2016 07:07 PM
PDH825 - 14 September 2016 06:56 AM

@Richard George, not you at all.

@PDH825, it is not so much you I am ignoring but rather your hypocrisy, you tell me to slowly advance through the degrees yet you took the Scottish rite day class yourself. ever notive the abundance of 32nd’s on this forum, it is indeed rather hysterically hilarious.

Again, you do not understand the way it works. There is no hypocrisy. In the US, in the Northern Jurisdiction, you become a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason at what is called a Reunion and it is done over a weekend.  They are also not a progression as you refuse to understand. What you need to progress slowly through is the 3 craft degrees of Regular Masonry. By slowly,  I refer to the amount of time AFTER you are raised to Master Mason where you discover that it is not the end, but rather the beginning. But, if all you want is the title since you are dead set on believing it is a status symbol, submit your petition the same day you are raised.  It is not your ignorance of the fraternity that is the problem, it is your inability to comprehend sound advice being given to you.

And, for your information, the time between me becoming a Master Mason and then joining my Scottish Rite Valley, was 18 months so again, no Hypocrisy.  Before you go around throwing accusations, I suggest you get FACTS, first.

Signature 

Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

Scribe

Jr. Warden

Posted: 15 September 2016 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

FWIW, I’m a 30th degree. Why? Because the system works differently under the English Constitution. I’m only that because I’ve been through the chair of my Rose Croix chapter. If I’d not done that I’d still be 18th - exactly the same as the day I joined the order.

Signature 

Richard
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 15 September 2016 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-09-27
User112 - 14 September 2016 07:07 PM

Again you are confusing degrees of scottish rite with some sort of rank.  Of course there are plenty of 32nd degree Scottish Rite members here…you can become a 32nd degree Mason in one day in the US.  However, that doesn’t mean that they’ve done all of the degrees yet.  Seeing all the degrees DOES take time.  32nd degree Scottish Rite Masons means you’re a member of Consistory, which confers that degree.

No hypocrisy, no deceit.  We’re telling you how it works.  You’ll find no more direct source to this information than actual members, but if you accuse them of deceit in their answers, you’ll soon find you stop getting answers, so please try to remember we have better things to do with our lives than lie to you about Freemasonry.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 15 September 2016 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2015-11-09
User112 - 13 September 2016 07:33 PM
W Br Gleason - 13 September 2016 06:38 PM

Okay so we have residency requirements to join a US blue lodge, I must complete the craft lodge degrees here, then if I decide to move into the Scottish rite I can complete them there as a visitor, well thanks I have sent an email to the grand lodge of Pennsylvania inquiring about it.

This thread is actually a huge success, once again I thank all that come to my aid.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean here? In order for one to join the Scottish Rite, one must first be raised a Master Mason. As you say you live in Australia, you would need to petition a lodge local to you, and proceed that route. Once you are raised (I have no idea how long the process is in Australia), THEN, I am assuming, you can petition for the Scottish Rite.
Writing to the GL of PA, when you arent a Mason, is likely going to either be ignored, or they will simply point you back to the GL of Australia.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

Posted: 16 September 2016 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

What I don’t get is why you would want to join in the US rather than in your own Constitution….?

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 16 September 2016 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-03-28

Ok thanks everyone, I would like to formally apologize about some of my previous remarks.

You guys are awesome. let me explain, it’s very simple I simply have a strong desire to understand Freemasonry. that’s all.

I posted here because I want to get involved as best as I can, it is my desire to grow within masonry, but it’s almost as if the desire is not of my own, you see when I was a child I looked at masonic things (perhaps an arch) and it gave me a type of “buzz” within my subconscious mind, I have explored the cause of that over the years and have been led to discover Freemasonry, so it is not for the sake of my conscious mind that I wish to make myself involved, but rather my subconscious mind and/or destiny.

I have received positive results back from the Grand lodge of Pennsylvania and I am currently awaiting a reply from the supreme council 33* s.j. (all I know is that my subconscious mind and heart tells me this is important, I know that this is the thing that resonated inside me since I was a child, this is why that arch gave me a strange feeling.)

My reasoning for wishing to join the Scottish rite in America is to obtain a better understanding of Freemasonry at my own desired level, not someone else’s.

Posted: 17 September 2016 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Ok, but I honestly don’t see how joining in the US rather than Oz will make any difference.  Oh and don’t think you’d just be able to drop in on any Oz SR meeting and get in .. there are procedures that would need to be gone through .. one of which is getting permission to visit from the hosting SC; they in turn would need to check with your own SC that you are a member/qualified, so you’d need to arrange any visits in advance - each and every time (as they would need to check you are [still] paid up)

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 17 September 2016 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-01

If I may, what exactly did you ask the GL of Pennsylvania?  If you made an inquiry only a few days ago, I find it very surprising that you received a response of any substance that quickly.

Signature 

Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

Scribe

Jr. Warden

Posted: 30 September 2016 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-10-25

- Myself not being a US citizen

- If I chose to join an Australian lodge upon my return would I maintain my US given degree? and what about a non UGLE French lodge.. (I can speak fluent French and am familiar with their culture)

I would most definitely desire to do the craft lodge and Scottish rite class, it can take years here to simply complete the craft degrees, we are indeed very casual, my only comment on maintaining the US given degree is the fact that Australia and the US are both derived from the United grand lodge of England and we indeed travel between our English established lodges so I don’t believe that would be too much of an dilemma, (although I could be wrong) but it may just be the citizenship that would hinder this idea.

Let me give you my take on your questions. I look at the Scottish Rite, York Rite, The Shrine as a student would look at their education. The Blue Lodge, I look at as your primary, middle and high school. After high school, many people tend to end their education at that point. Some go on to higher education. Does that make the men or women who end their education when they graduate any less of a man or woman? I look at the Shrine, Scottish Rite, York Rite and the other organizations in the same light. Many Masons never go into those bodies. Does that make them any less of a Mason? No, it just means they have different priorities.

Some Masons go their entire lives without ever reaching the 33rd degree. It is a degree that is meant to honor those who have served a life devoted to Masonry.

As far as if your membership will be recognized if you are a member of a Non-UGLE French lodge? Many jurisdictions in the US, including my home state of South Carolina, do not recognize the French lodges. I will not go into the reason why as that may be leading you down a rabbit hole. Usually, I recommend people to stay with the lodges that are recognized by the UGLE as that is the benchmark standard for many jurisdictions.

Signature 

Forte est vinum fortior est rex fortiores sunt mulieres super omnia vincit veritas
(Wine is Strong, the King is Stronger, Women are Strongest: but Truth Conquers All)

Barry Goen
Boyleston Lodge 123 AFM
Balentine SC

Columbia Chapter No. 5
Royal Arch Masons
Columbia, SC

Union Council No. 5
Royal and Select Masters
Columbia, SC

Columbia Commandry No. 2
Knights Templars
Columbia, SC

Posted: 01 October 2016 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

FYI: Less than one percent of US Masons ever reach the 33rd degree.  In the southern jurisdiction (USA) There are two different 33rd degrees. One is “honorary”, and only awarded to men who have distinguished themselves in the Craft.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

2 of 3

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5604 seconds.