Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instruction in religion
Posted: 09 September 2016 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-08-25

I am new member on this forum and I am not a freemason. I am considering the idea of becoming a freemason for 2 years so far.
I understand the fact that the freemasonry is not a religion.
I would like to ask some of the brothers (experienced freemasons) how they understand the Albert Pike`s statement “every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instruction in religion”.
I don’t need explanations is freemasonry a religion or no, I just like to know how you understand this sentence according to your opinion.

Posted: 09 September 2016 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1437
Joined  2010-11-01
Darko - 09 September 2016 10:16 AM

I am new member on this forum and I am not a freemason. I am considering the idea of becoming a freemason for 2 years so far.
I understand the fact that the freemasonry is not a religion.
I would like to ask some of the brothers (experienced freemasons) how they understand the Albert Pike`s statement “every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instruction in religion”.
I don’t need explanations is freemasonry a religion or no, I just like to know how you understand this sentence according to your opinion.

As a Mason I would agree with that statement.  You see, Pike was a very eloquent speaker and writer.  He is not referring to one specific Religion, but rather religion in general.  Within a masonic lodge, there is a religious aspect or theme if you will.  Masonry does require its members to profess a belief in a higher power.  It does not define what that higher power is nor how that higher power is to be worshiped.  That is left up to the individual mason to determine based on the Faith of his choosing.  The teachings of Masonry are simple, yet complex at the same time as they are presented in symbolism and allegories that each man must then digest and apply in his own life.  So, yes, masonic teachings are a form of instruction in religion.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 09 September 2016 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-08-25

I share your opinion. Thank you for the nice answer.

Posted: 12 September 2016 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2011-03-20

When it comes to one Freemason’s (Pike’s in this case) opinion you will find that many other Freemasons will not agree.

I for one do not agree with Pike’s pronouncements mainly because they furnished a fantasy that the Scottish Rite was Freemasonry. That was and is not so! It was a later invention created in the latter half of the 18th Century (when Freemasonry was already old) in France, then exported to America where it was engrafted onto the Craft and had its stories backdated to give an impression of age that it did not have.

In my opinion, Freemasonry is not a religion, its Lodges are not temples of religion, it merely wishes its adherents to hold true to the part of their religions that is good which is to love one another.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 13 September 2016 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3965
Joined  2007-09-27

I agree with Mike.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 14 September 2016 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-08-25

Mr. Mike, thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.

That is the good side of freemasonry that everyone can have own opinion.
According to the fact that Albert Pike was a philosopher and maybe one of the highest freemasonry “authorities” I was observing this statement as a philosophic thought, not as fact or his opinion. My aim was to figure out what he really wished to say with this thought, if he eventually does not literally mean that “every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instruction in religion”.
According to the fact that freemasonry is not a religion, contradictory is that one of the highest “authorities” of freemasonry claims that “every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instruction in religion”. That is making me fall into contemplation and that`s why I wish to hear your opinions.

Sorry if my English is not good enough but I am from another country and not native English speaker :)

Posted: 15 September 2016 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2011-11-10

I don’t consider Pike an authority. Just someone who has some specific ideas and who happens to have published a book about them. Why does that make him any more of an authority than any of us responding to the various questions of here? You could argue we’re being published.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 15 September 2016 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2011-03-20
Darko - 14 September 2016 08:23 PM

According to the fact that Albert Pike was a philosopher and maybe one of the highest freemasonry “authorities” I was observing this statement as a philosophic thought, not as fact or his opinion. My aim was to figure out what he really wished to say with this thought, if he eventually does not literally mean that “every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instruction in religion”.
According to the fact that freemasonry is not a religion, contradictory is that one of the highest “authorities” of freemasonry claims that “every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instruction in religion”. That is making me fall into contemplation and that`s why I wish to hear your opinions.

Your English is fine but I think you may have got the wrong idea of Albert Pike’s status in the Masonic world and especially his book Morals and Dogma. He was ONLY an Authority within the AASR of the Southern Jurisdiction of the US and even then the preface of M&D, written by the rest of the Supreme Council highlighted his plagiarism AND the lack of authority within the pages of the book.

The book is mainly of interest today because it is often misquoted by Internet based conspiracy theorists as the basis of their madcap theories about Freemasonry. It is a shame that few, if any, of them have actually read or even seen a copy of it. They also tend to be either unaware or unwilling to accept the fact that the majority of Freemasons outside (and inside)of the Southern Jurisdiction of the US have neither heard of Pike or that his influence was restricted purely to that part of America.

The main thrust of the book seemed to be to compare the “Ancient Mysteries” to the AASR as taught in the SJ in order to make it their inheritor. You do get the feeling that Pike was well read and knowledgeable on these subjects until you take the time to read the Preface which states, in a matter of fact way, that “he has extracted quite half its contents from the works of the best writers and most philosophic or eloquent thinkers. Perhaps it would have been better and more acceptable if he had extracted more and written less. Still, perhaps half of it is his own; and, in incorporating here the thoughts and words of others, he has continually changed and added to the language, often intermingling, in the same sentences, his own words with theirs. It not being intended for the world at large, he has felt at liberty to make, from all accessible sources, a Compendium of the Morals and Dogma of the Rite, to re-mould sentences, change and add to words and phrases, combine them with his own, and use them as if they were his own, to be dealt with at his pleasure and so availed of as to make the whole most valuable for the purposes intended”. You’ll notice that it weakly justifies his lack of credits to these writers by saying that the book is not meant for the “World at large” anyway.

The Supreme Council also stated that “The teachings of these Readings are not sacramental, so far as they go beyond the realm of Morality into those of other domains of Thought and Truth. The Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite uses the word “Dogma” in its true sense, of doctrine, or teaching; and is not dogmatic in the odious sense of that term. Every one is entirely free to reject and dissent from whatsoever herein may seem to him to be untrue or unsound. It is only required of him that he shall weigh what is taught, and give it fair hearing and unprejudiced judgment. Of course, the ancient theosophic and philosophic speculations are not embodied as part of the doctrines of the Rite; but because it is of interest and profit to know what the Ancient Intellect thought upon these subjects,”

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 16 September 2016 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-08-25

I wished to ask about this in a different topic, but I see that you (masons) discuss on this topic are well educated in the field of freemasonry.
Have you ever seen this video and what is your opinion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwEj7Ux3Jao

Posted: 16 September 2016 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1437
Joined  2010-11-01

Oy…..not this one again.  Not only is this guy making Pike out to be more than he is, he is trying to prove, unsuccessfully that Masonry is a Religion.  Albert Pike did, in fact, write Morals and Dogma.  That is the only fact this video gets completely accurate.  Morals and Dogma is NOT the handbook of Freemasonry.  It is Pike’s opinion and interpretation of the Degrees of the Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction.  That is all it is, nothing more.  Before you ask, yes I have 2 copies of it.  This video is also quoting passages from this 800+ page book but is leaving out one important thing, the context.  If you read the book, you will come across these quotes, but when you take out what is directly before and after it, you can twist them to fit any agenda….albeit incorrect.

Masonry is not a Religion nor is it a substitute for Religion.  It does teach you to practice Religion, but it does not define what that Religion should be.  That is for the individual Mason to decide based on his chosen Faith.  It does not favor one particular Faith over another.  The legend depicted in our degrees is based on the old testament which multiple Faiths acknowledge, but the same principle ideas can be found in other Holy books.  What many non-masons get hung up on is falling into the trap of not being able to see past their own set of beliefs.  Masonry does not say you have to give up your chosen Faith.  When we speak of the Great Architect, we use that term so that each man can interpret that to mean whatever he chooses to believe is the Supreme Being based on the Faith of his acceptance.  Masonry provides no path to Salvation other than to point you to your Religion for that.  The only Dogma in Freemasonry is to be an upright man, and to practice your chosen Religion however that Religion teaches you to do so. 

Bottom line, that video is a load of hogwash and a waste of time.  If you want to know what Freemasonry is, talk to a Freemason.  Visit a lodge when you see folks there.  As a non-mason you cannot attend the meeting as they are private.  Oh, if it is private, it MUST be evil.  Well, if you consider paying the electric bill, rent, and hearing about members who are ill or providing assistance to a widow or helping out a charity evil, then you would be right.  My lodge is volunteering this week at the local food bank that provides food and necessities to homeless or under privileged people.  The Shriner’s Children’s Hospital is funded by Masons and provides care to regardless of the families ability to pay.  The patient need not be a relative of a Mason either.  I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 17 September 2016 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2301
Joined  2011-01-20

I got up to the first four minutes. The first two minutes were surprisingly accurate. Things went downhill after that. So, two minutes out of 34 minutes before the train left the tracks. Not bad for a video published on a conspiracy theory web site.

What I don’t understand is why people expect us to explain the rantings of these conspiracy theory nut jobs. Anybody with a cell phone can put up a video on YouTube.  We do it, too. Perhaps it’s more fun to believe people like me are plotting to take over or even already run the world.  If that were true, why would anyone of us bother with a web site like this? We would simply send our lizard people warriors to remove those, like the producers of videos like this, who got in our way. Clearly, that isn’t the case. We are here, volunteers all, to explain the value of our teachings and the joy that harmony among men brings.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 17 September 2016 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2011-11-10

A question. If we really were running the world, don’t you think we’d arrange for these videos to disappear pretty sharpish? As it is, we can barely agree what the food menu is going to be; meat + 2 veg, fish or salad. Never mind if dessert is to be on the menu! No, the truth is much simpler, we just want be better people, help those in need of help….. and have a good laugh at all the idiots wasting their time making their stupid accusations.

So who do YOU believe?

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 21 September 2016 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  2012-03-05

Honestly, I really couldn’t care less what Albert Pike said about anything.

I never met the man. I’ve never read his books and I don’t think I want to. He was never the official spokesman of Freemasonry. Whatever he did or didn’t say about the fraternity is none of my concern. I know we’re a fraternity and not a religion, I’ve been attending lodge for over 15 years and it’s plain as day to me that we are just a fraternity. If anybody ever said anything that might suggest otherwise, I really just don’t care.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3709 seconds.