Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

To be a better man…
Posted: 05 September 2016 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2016-08-25

When speaking of a human nature, we sometimes underline or realize from our practice that it has some sort of two sides of same coin - the good and bad nature. And while to keep and grow within yourself a tree of a good person you have to struggle and work hard on a daily basis within; the bad nature, if you just let it go, will be coming and growing from within as a weed. Why is it so? Does this mean we are all “bad” by nature? Or our hearts are always like unpolished stones and “nuggets” are very and very rare in life?

Posted: 05 September 2016 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1440
Joined  2010-11-01

This is more of a philosophical question and you will likely not get the answer you are looking for. I am not quite sure what your intentions are here. Are you interested in joining?

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 05 September 2016 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2313
Joined  2011-01-20

I can only answer you for myself so this is not necessarily what others may say or do.

A man is judged by his actions. Every minute of every day we all must make choices and put those choices into action. Most choices are simple and will have little to no effect on how a man will be judged. Other choices can be life changing. The duality you speak of is how we make those choices in life. We can take the easy path or the hard one, the right or wrong,  the good or evil. I find the lessons of the degrees of Masonry give me the tools to make the right choices and the more decisions I make to be good, honest, kind and charitable the easier it is to make those kinds of decisions. The judgement I spoke of in the beginning of this is not others judging me, it is me judging myself.  I sleep better when I do the right thing.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 06 September 2016 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
PDH825 - 05 September 2016 07:45 PM

This is more of a philosophical question and you will likely not get the answer you are looking for. I am not quite sure what your intentions are here. Are you interested in joining?

as I wrote in another topic previously - yes, interested.

Posted: 06 September 2016 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
Brother John - 05 September 2016 10:28 PM

I can only answer you for myself so this is not necessarily what others may say or do.

A man is judged by his actions. Every minute of every day we all must make choices and put those choices into action. Most choices are simple and will have little to no effect on how a man will be judged. Other choices can be life changing. The duality you speak of is how we make those choices in life. We can take the easy path or the hard one, the right or wrong,  the good or evil. I find the lessons of the degrees of Masonry give me the tools to make the right choices and the more decisions I make to be good, honest, kind and charitable the easier it is to make those kinds of decisions. The judgement I spoke of in the beginning of this is not others judging me, it is me judging myself.  I sleep better when I do the right thing.

thanks a lot for such a frankly answer. I agree with that point of view

Posted: 06 September 2016 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3995
Joined  2007-09-27

I don’t believe we are “bad” by nature.  I believe we are unpolished and rough by nature, and it is our duty to continue to work to improve ourselves.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 07 September 2016 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25

By saying ‘improving oneself’ do we mean that person is becoming more kind, more humble in a way? Or does it mean some other improvement of a character?

What I mean is do we expect a freemason to be a more kind and humble person?

Posted: 07 September 2016 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25

If asked again of my intentions - it is just for myslef I need to understand and answer this question ‘why freemasonry?’

Posted: 07 September 2016 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1440
Joined  2010-11-01
Gleb - 07 September 2016 06:33 AM

By saying ‘improving oneself’ do we mean that person is becoming more kind, more humble in a way? Or does it mean some other improvement of a character?

By “improving oneself” means it is self improvement.  Only the individual Mason can determine what that means to him and where to focus his work.  For me, it is about building confidence and helping others.  There is no standard answer, which is what it appears that you are looking for. 

Let me ask you this, why are you considering Masonry?  What are you looking for in masonry should you become a member?  Do you know what Freemasonry is?

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 07 September 2016 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3995
Joined  2007-09-27
Gleb - 07 September 2016 06:33 AM

I think that’s probably being too specific.  Think more generally.  It’s about constantly striving to be a better man, better father, husband, member of the community, etc.

We don’t really DEFINE “better man”.  Of course society has ideas as to what are good traits and bad traits, and we try to hone our skills with regard to the former.  Practice charity, exhibit integrity and honesty, be friendly, show love and compassion, etc.

We are all imperfect in different ways, so we all have different things to improve.  It’s an internal challenge.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 07 September 2016 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2313
Joined  2011-01-20

You have stumbled upon one of the greatest benefits of the Fraternity.  We cannot give you a specific answer to your question because it is intentionally left to the individual brother to find and act upon the parts of his character that need improvement.  We judge ourselves and find ourselves lacking. The Fraternity gives us the tools and support we need to make those necessary changes to our character and improve ourselves. We become better men in the way we define that for ourselves.

Those who have traveled further along that path are the men were try to emulate.  They are also the men who reach out and help us up when we stumble. There is always a man, a brother, we can turn to for help . Because we know that help is there for us, we stand ever ready to offer our help to others. Friendship, morality and brotherly love, these are the tenants of our profession.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 07 September 2016 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2012-01-30
Gleb - 05 September 2016 04:57 PM

When speaking of a human nature, we sometimes underline or realize from our practice that it has some sort of two sides of same coin - the good and bad nature. And while to keep and grow within yourself a tree of a good person you have to struggle and work hard on a daily basis within; the bad nature, if you just let it go, will be coming and growing from within as a weed. Why is it so? Does this mean we are all “bad” by nature? Or our hearts are always like unpolished stones and “nuggets” are very and very rare in life?

The idea of “bad” or “good” is to fluid to give an easy answer.

Hate, anger, procrastination, can be beneficial depending on the context.  Love, happiness, immediate action can also be harmful. 

So my answer shall be officially this:  it depends.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3511 seconds.