Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

What I’d like to know before joining
Posted: 01 September 2016 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-12-16

Here are a few things I would like to know before joining freemasonry.
1)Can I join when I’m unemployed?
2)How long will it take to become a master?
3)I have a pension from the state of California but I live Texas now. How do I join a lounge in Texas? 
4)Is George Soros involved with freemasonry?
5)What are Freemasons views on Lucifer?
Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Posted: 01 September 2016 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4054
Joined  2007-09-27
Sean Fitzgerald - 01 September 2016 12:30 PM

1)Can I join when I’m unemployed?

You CAN….but it would be less likely because a lodge would not want to bring on a member who currently should be focusing on being employed and becoming self sufficient.  IT might be best to wait until you are employed.

There are three degrees in Freemasonry: Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and Master Mason.  The amount of time it takes to go through them varies, but lodges will often do the degrees over a period of three or four months.

3)I have a pension from the state of California but I live Texas now. How do I join a lounge in Texas? 

Your pension has nothing to do with it.  If you live in Texas, you can apply to join a lodge in Texas.

4)Is George Soros involved with freemasonry?

I don’t think so.  Never heard of him until now, and I see him mentioned a lot on sites like the ones belonging to Alex Jones.  If that’s where you’re hearing it from, it’s probably not true.  I’ll ask you this…if I….an ACTUAL Mason, can’t easily find out if someone is a member or not, how do you think non-members can find out.  They can’t.  They make it up out of circumstantial evidence (something as silly as “he shook another guy’s hand strangely, so he must be a Mason”.  As I said back in your Ted Cruz post, it is important to note that there are so many people out there talking about Freemasonry who aren’t Masons and actually know very little about the truth of our fraternity, that you could google just about ANY politician or famous person and there will be someone somewhere claiming they are a Freemason.

5)What are Freemasons views on Lucifer?

Depends on who you ask, but a difficult question to answer because 1) Lucifer has been mistakenly equated to Satan for many years, but show me in the bible where it says Lucifer is Satan.  (hint, it doesn’t).  So, Masons who have been raised to believe Lucifer = Satan hate Lucifer of course.  Masons who know that Lucifer is NOT Satan and truly understand that part of the bible know that Lucifer was not a proper noun and referred to a fallen Babelonian King and have NO views on Lucifer.  You may be making reference to ONE particular Mason who made mention of Lucifer in one of his books, which has caused many anti-Masons to have a field day, but they are simply mistaken.  You can read more about that here: http://masonicinfo.com/lucifer.htm

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 01 September 2016 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-12-16

Thank you for clearing this up for me brother.

Posted: 01 September 2016 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2336
Joined  2011-01-20

OK, the Lucifer thing… Might as well get the story from the original source. Here it is, Isaiah 14:3-12

“That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!

5 The Lord hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers.

6 He who smote the people in wrath with a continual stroke, he that ruled the nations in anger, is persecuted, and none hindereth.

7 The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing.

8 Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.

9 Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

10 All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us?

11 Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!”

In short, God Struck down the King of Babylon who was known as the “Light Bringer” or, in Latin: Lucifer.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 02 September 2016 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1256
Joined  2011-11-10

And if you do a hunt on here and find the link to the Roman Catholic dictionary, you’ll also find that Lucifer (the bearer of light) can also refer to Jesus.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 02 September 2016 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2014-06-15

Can I join when I’m unemployed?

The immediate answer is yes, you can. What really matters is why are you unemployed? You mentioned receiving a pension from California and living in Texas. Does this mean you are retired? The reason I ask is because (speaking from my own local lodge experience) when we are looking at a new candidate one of the things we look at is if this candidate is joining for the purpose of “handouts”? Masons take care of our own in times of difficulty, but we do not want to invite difficulty in to the lodge as a rule. But if you are retired then that explains your unemployment. So if you apply to a lodge for membership and you are retired then that is what I would tell them rather than say you are unemployed. But be honest otherwise.

How long will it take to become a master?

That will vary by jurisdiction and how much time you can spare to learn. Best case scenario, you are probably looking at around 4 - 6 months. But it is not a speed competition. We would rather see that you are learning it and understanding it than speeding through a memorization.

I have a pension from the state of California but I live Texas now. How do I join a lounge in Texas?

Again, the pension from any state has nothing to do with joining except to prove that you have a means of taking care of yourself financially. As for joining a lodge, it is the same pretty much everywhere. You contact the lodge you are interested in joining and request a petition. They will explain the process to you from there.

What are Freemasons views on Lucifer?

I think you have already seen some responses on this already. But keep in mind that we are all individuals from different backgrounds and different religions. And religion is one of the things that will never be discussed in an open lodge. That being said, a freemason’s views on Lucifer really doesn’t matter. Why? Because no matter what religion you hold to, Lucifer is not a Supreme Being. And a Freemason has to believe in a Supreme Being. Some jurisdictions take that a little further and require a belief in a Creator Supreme Being. Some take it a little further still and require a belief in the immortality of the soul. you will see on your application/petition what they require (probably); if not then they will ask you about their belief requirement during the investigative process.

Good luck in your quest of joining a lodge.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 02 September 2016 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1256
Joined  2011-11-10

One question ; can you clarify what YOU mean by ‘master’? Do you mean Master Mason, or Master of a lodge? - because the two are not the same.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 02 September 2016 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  2010-11-01

Sean - I will concentrate on this one particular question.  If you are wondering how long it will take to become a Master Mason, then the answer is: it varies.  It varies depending on the individual lodge.  Some lodges may get you through in 3-4 months and there is nothing wrong with that.  Other lodges take more time and there is nothing wrong with that approach either.  My lodge for example, follows a standard known as Traditional Observance and will not send a guy through in 3-4 months.  Our expectation is that you attend functions prior to even being given a petition.  After the members get to know you, then you are offered a petition.  Your first (Entered Apprentice) degree is done as soon as possible after the members vote to proceed.  Once you take your EA, you have work to do.  You need to learn a small piece of ritual and be able to give it proficiently.  Your Second (Fellow Craft)degree will be 2-3 months later, after which you will have more work to do which is similar to your EA.  Once you learn that proficiently, you are scheduled for your Third degree.  In all, about 10 months on average.  I have heard of some lodges requiring guys to deliver a paper on some aspect of that degree after each of the degrees… We do not go that far.  We may be looked upon as elitest, and maybe we are, however one of principles we are taught in Masonry is to do your very best and strive to always improve, so that is what we do.

If you mean how long will it take for you to become Master of the lodge, that is entirely different as Richard indicates.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3783 seconds.