Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
What does this depiction mean?
Posted: 29 August 2016 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2016-08-25

Dear Brothers,

What does this depiction mean, and what is its name and symbolic meaning?

Image Attachments
2016-08-29 17.43.08.gif

Posted: 29 August 2016 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2014-03-28

Freemasonry makes extensive use of symbols, finding them an effective teaching tool. Each symbol brings with it a reminder to behave in certain ways - fairly, honestly, etc.

The image, which dates to c. 1754, is a composite of various Masonic symbols, with (I suppose) the intent of showing that a proper Mason is to be built with the lessons of those symbols. It’s very old, not central to Freemasonry and I have never seen it used in any lodge. An historical curiosity, in other words.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 29 August 2016 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2319
Joined  2011-01-20

I see references to all three degrees and symbols outside the Craft. It’s a nice old picture full of all kinds of symbols. If it has a name, I don’t know it.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 29 August 2016 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2007-09-27

Masons often like to make their own artwork incorporating Masonic symbols to share with their brothers.  This appears to be an example of that.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 29 August 2016 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25

Many thanks for answers.

Any idea what left and right hands with this directions may symbolize for brother-mason?

Posted: 30 August 2016 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Not sure the direction matters, other than the one on the right is holding a plumb, which must hang down.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 30 August 2016 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  937
Joined  2011-03-20

The engraving is entitled “A Free Mason Form’d Out of the Material of his Lodge” and a print of it hangs on my Living Room wall for all to see. It depicts the symbolism found within the Degrees and Ceremonies of the Craft but does not teach any lessons in or of itself it is (in common with any product freely available) just a reminder to a Freemason.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 04 September 2016 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Frankly speaking, besides all other recognised symbols on that picture, what I thought of when saw it in the museum at the Freemason’s Hall in London and then on the cover of one of those book series “masonry for dummies” was that it could have had a connection to two ways in witchcraft practices, if may called so, - the paths of left and right hand.
If you compare this picture to the picture of Baphometh by Eliphas Levi (the so called Sabbatic Goat, which looks more like Daksa from Hindu mythology) - you will find the position of his hands pretty similar to this. So, I am sorry for making such a comparison, but I thought if there could be a connection to that.

Posted: 04 September 2016 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Gleb - 04 September 2016 02:02 AM

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Frankly speaking, besides all other recognised symbols on that picture, what I thought of when saw it in the museum at the Freemason’s Hall in London and then on the cover of one of those book series “masonry for dummies” was that it could have had a connection to two ways in witchcraft practices, if may called so, - the paths of left and right hand.
If you compare this picture to the picture of Baphometh by Eliphas Levi (the so called Sabbatic Goat, which looks more like Daksa from Hindu mythology) - you will find the position of his hands pretty similar to this. So, I am sorry for making such a comparison, but I thought if there could be a connection to that.

Nope. And our old buddy Baphomet began his relationship to Freemasonry in a book by the infamous con artists Leo Taxil. Taxil later admitted it was all false.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 04 September 2016 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
Brother John - 04 September 2016 06:40 AM

Nope. And our old buddy Baphomet began his relationship to Freemasonry in a book by the infamous con artists Leo Taxil. Taxil later admitted it was all false.

ok. then it’s just a coincidence

Posted: 04 September 2016 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2014-03-28

Conspiracy theorists keep themselves going by denying the existence of coincidence, yet coincidence is amazingly common. How many times have you run into a friend or acquaintance in another city? That’s coincidence. Ever met a man with the same name as yourself? Coincidence. And it functions at much higher levels, too - check out the crossword flap in the days running up to the 1944 invasion of Normandy. You couldn’t put stuff like this in a novel without it being brushed off as implausible, yet it happens all the time.

People have tried to make a connection between Freemasonry, Satanism and posture or position for many years. There is, for instance, a famous statue of a seated, bare-chested George Washington with his hands in much the same position - “Wow! Look! Washington (who was a Mason) must have worshiped Satan!” No kidding - it’s out there. 

There are exabites of photos on the new ‘proving’ various famous people are Freemasons because of the positions their hands or how they are shaking hands. Most of them take a transitional position of a hand in motion as their ‘proof’.

There are people trying to prove that there’s a connection between the number of human vertebrae (33) and the highest degree in the Scottish Rite (also 33).

There are people with every sort of delusion - and the internet fuels their fevered brains.

When all is said and done about this sort of nonsense, coincidence is generally the explanation and trying to make anything significant out of it is an exercise in tail-chasing.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 04 September 2016 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Gleb - 04 September 2016 11:55 AM
Brother John - 04 September 2016 06:40 AM

ok. then it’s just a coincidence

No, it was and is a lie.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 05 September 2016 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
Brother John - 04 September 2016 08:57 PM

No, it was and is a lie.

a = Bathomet is imaged with his left hand pointed downward and symbolizing the “path of left hand” within witch-craft, and right hand pointing upwards - “the path of right hand”.
b = the symbolic engraving of masonic attributes and lessons has depiction of a human kind being with his left hand pointing downwards, and right - upwards.

1. Is ‘a’ equal to ‘b’? No. I may agree.
2. Are gestures on ‘a’ and ‘b’ pictures similar? Yes. May it be a coincidence? Why not.
Where is a lie in here?

Image Attachments
002.gif

Posted: 05 September 2016 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20

I was speaking about the relationship invented by Leo Taxil between Masonry and Baphomet. That is the lie.

You are attempting to link a piece of Masonic Art with the depiction of Baphomet. I can assure you any similarity is purely accidental or, like Taxil, an attempt to further a conspiracy theory.  Is that why you are here?

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 06 September 2016 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

I know it may seem to you there is a connection between those images, but I will caution you from trying to draw connections between things that LOOK the same.  A king snake and a coral snake LOOK the same, but they are very different.

Making the kind of connection you are trying to make here would essentially be like saying anywhere that a right hand is raised, they are emulating baphomet (I cringe even TALKING about baphoment, because it’s all just so…well…dumb).  By that logic, every time someone raises their right hand in court to swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, would be emulating baphomet? 

Come on.  Surely you can see the difference between things LOOKING similar and being the SAME?

For the record, I can’t think of any point in Freemasonry where a person actually put their arms in the position depicted in either of those images.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 06 September 2016 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

I’d like to add here (and hopefully you’ll find it helpful) that the suggested link between baphomet and Freemasonry is not a new one.  It’s silly beyond the surface, but sadly it does take a bit of digging to straighten out.

I suggest reading this:
http://www.masonicinfo.com/baphomet.htm

It illustrates the weird paths that crossed to get people to try to make a connection here where none exists.

Signature 

Dan

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4967 seconds.