Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 3
Cult of Isis and Ashtoreth Goddesses
Posted: 30 August 2016 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2016-08-25
W Br Gleason - 30 August 2016 12:23 AM

Because someone liked the sound of that name and thought that it aslo promoted a sense of mystery.

:) are you serious?

Posted: 30 August 2016 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2013-08-19
Gleb - 26 August 2016 06:02 AM

Dear Brothers,

glad to ask my first question and thus take part in this interesting forum on Freemasonry.

Could you please tell me of existing cult for Isis and Ashtoreth Goddesses in Freemasonry? Is it a direct connection to Ancient Egypt and Babel?

thanks in advance for your attention and answers.

There might be something in the Ancient and Primitive Rite of Memphis-Misraim but I’m not sure. I don’t think it is a “cult” but they most likely relate to that since it’s a rite all based on Egyptian things.

It also seems that this rite is seen as a bogus one, although some Grand Lodges have it in their jurisdiction.

Signature 

Petitioned: October, 2015
Ballotted: November. 2015
Initiated: February, 2016
Passed: April, 2016
Raised: May, 2016

Posted: 30 August 2016 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
nymaso3 - 30 August 2016 03:38 AM

There might be something in the Ancient and Primitive Rite of Memphis-Misraim but I’m not sure. I don’t think it is a “cult” but they most likely relate to that since it’s a rite all based on Egyptian things.

It also seems that this rite is seen as a bogus one, although some Grand Lodges have it in their jurisdiction.

Maybe. And Albert Pike himself criticised this rite because of their 99 degree system, which was almost useless and corrupted.

Posted: 30 August 2016 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2013-08-19
Gleb - 30 August 2016 04:07 AM
nymaso3 - 30 August 2016 03:38 AM

Maybe. And Albert Pike himself criticised this rite because of their 99 degree system, which was almost useless and corrupted.

Yep, I think it was created by Cagliostro. I’m still fascinated by it, I hear very different opinions among brothers. Unfortunately it is prohibited to join it by my Grand Lodge (UGLE)

Signature 

Petitioned: October, 2015
Ballotted: November. 2015
Initiated: February, 2016
Passed: April, 2016
Raised: May, 2016

Posted: 30 August 2016 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2014-03-28

When a lodge is formed, the founding members have a choice as to what to call it.

Some lodge names have Masonic significance. In the Commonwealth, for instance, many lodges are named after the Earl of Zetland, a prominent British Mason.

As well, we use an allegory about the building of King Solomon’s temple as a teaching tool and many lodges are called ‘Solomon’ or ‘Temple’ in recognition of that.

Switch our view to society in the 1800s. Education of the day included a lot of emphasis Greek and Roman myths. There was nothing religious about this; churches and homes of clergymen of the day often had Classical statues and paintings. So naming a lodge after Astraea, the Greek goddess of purity and innocence (themselves Masonic virtues) is hardly evidence of some hidden cult now.

Similarly, consider that Napoleon’s Egyptian expedition included scholars and scientists. Even though Napoleon was defeated militarily, their published research ignited a long-lasting, Europe-wide craze for all things related to ancient Egypt. Men wore ties and ladies dresses with Egyptian motifs, public buildings had decorations which included, for instance, the Sphinx of Giza. Isis was supposed to have been the patroness of artisans; remember also the story of her search for her lost husband, suggesting extreme love and fidelity - yet more Masonic virtues.

In short, there is nothing in such names which cannot reasonably be explained by normal cultural patterns of the time, like the zombie craze today. (I do hope of course that we don’t see any new lodges called ‘Zombie Apocalypse’.)

Again, there is no hidden part of Freemasonry involving worship of the ancient gods and/or goddesses. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 31 August 2016 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1233
Joined  2011-11-10

Good description Bob.

I’m a founder of both a Craft lodge and a Rose Cross Chapter (similar to the Scottish Rite Valley). The former is an old school lodge and was called The Porta after name of the structure at the entrance to the school - something recognisable to all the members (and future members). The lodge emblem contains an image of the structure.

The latter was named Iceni. This name was chosen as the Chapter was founded in Newmarket, the home of horse racing, and after the Iceni tribe that lived in the area and were notorious for their use of horses (and for fighting the Romans under their warrior leader Boudica). The emblem comprises a rearing horse either side of the Christian cross.

Both names were chosen solely to commemorate things to the location, not for any other reason.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 03 September 2016 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25

It’s like trying to persuade neophyte that freemason’s really derived from the labour unions of simple mason workers and has nothing to do with Kabbalah. Sometimes insincerity is just insincerity.

How many times a question usually needs to be asked to get deeper into the layers of Truth(s)..

Posted: 03 September 2016 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

How many times does the right question need to be asked?  Once. Just once.

How many times does the wrong question need to be asked?  Infinite times, for one never gets close to the truth.

How many times does the right question need to be asked by those not listening? As above.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 03 September 2016 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25

If one believes that an ultimate Truth can be gained (asked and given) that easily then he sees no difference between a square and Compasses..

Posted: 03 September 2016 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25

Kabbalah is just Kabbalah…
Hermetica is just Hermetica…
masonry is just about stones…
masonry is just about charity..
oath is just a tradition..
tradition is just by chance..
everything is just by chance…

Posted: 03 September 2016 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

a = a.  No matter how many times one questions that, the truth remains the same. One can ask over and over again in any number of ways and get no closer to understanding, for truth never changes. The hardest thing for many is accepting that truth.

Truth need not be complicated. On the other hand, for one who refuses to listen, it will always be elusive. If a man cannot learn from the first layer of an onion, looking at the third, eighth or fifteenth layer will teach him nothing.

And, for the record, I have studied both square and compasses for 40 years.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 03 September 2016 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2012-01-30
Gleb - 03 September 2016 12:53 PM

It’s like trying to persuade neophyte that freemason’s really derived from the labour unions of simple mason workers and has nothing to do with Kabbalah. Sometimes insincerity is just insincerity.

How many times a question usually needs to be asked to get deeper into the layers of Truth(s)..

You got us.  Once it is asked 3 times we must tell you.  The PresiDent is our secret chaplain.  The CEo is of the craft oak front.  Beware the VulCAN or you VulCan’t.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 03 September 2016 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-25
Lark - 03 September 2016 01:17 PM

a = a.  No matter how many times one questions that, the truth remains the same. One can ask over and over again in any number of ways and get no closer to understanding, for truth never changes. The hardest thing for many is accepting that truth.

Truth need not be complicated. On the other hand, for one who refuses to listen, it will always be elusive. If a man cannot learn from the first layer of an onion, looking at the third, eighth or fifteenth layer will teach him nothing.

And, for the record, I have studied both square and compasses for 40 years.

the funniest thing about your allegory on onion is that it really has many layers, not one.

and coming back to your studies of the square and compasses. I do appreciate your struggle and knowledge of its symbolism, but isn’t the very first layer of that “onion” tells us, the square will never be able to widen and encompass the absolute truth.

Posted: 03 September 2016 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

Gleb - the only struggle in Masonry is with oneself, the struggle to make oneself a better man. And the purpose of a square is not encompassment, so your statement, in a Masonic context, is meaningless.

So, let’s cut to the chase, my Russian friend. Frank discussion is one thing, but I am starting to see something else. Why are you here? You don’t seem particularly interested in the responses to your questions, except as a basis for challenging them. You’ve been given honest answers and waved them off as ‘insincere’. What is it that you want?

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 03 September 2016 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2319
Joined  2011-01-20

When asked the tenants of my profession,  I will answer friendship, morality and brotherly love. That’s all there is to it, my friend.  All this other noise about Egyptian gods and the symbols of our Fraternity is just window dressing. The core is simple: friendship, morality and brotherly love.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

2 of 3

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5029 seconds.