Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Trying to start a new Appendant Body.
Posted: 12 August 2016 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2015-08-17

I hope this is the right place for this.

This is going to sound odd but in talking with another brother who recently moved to the U.S. from Wales we where looking at Celtic history and specifically the Druids. As we talked more about it I also began to think about how Masonry is in part about the knowledge of ancient civilizations. So with all that said I was wondering about if anyone could give me advice about starting a new body or if that can even still happen. Thank you all for your help brothers.

Signature 

Casey P.
Junior Warden
California Lodge #183- California Mo
Ararat Shrine Temple
\Ozark Order #109 - SOBH
Masonic Society
Jefferson City Chapter #34
Ezra Council #32
Prince of Peace Commandery #29

Posted: 12 August 2016 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4033
Joined  2007-09-27

Official answer:
I don’t believe this forum (intended to inform non-Masons about Masonry and how to join Masonry) is going to be able to provide that answer.  I would suggest that this matter is very delicate and should be approached directly through the Grand Lodge in your jurisdiction.  That’s the only sure-fire way to get the correct answer.  My guess is it’ll be a long uphill battle, consider how slow Masonry is to change.

Unofficial and unsolicited opinion:
Your zeal is truly laudible, but please don’t.  Instead, focus your energy on making blue lodges the best they can be.  Can you imagine the packed sidelines and participation if there weren’t so many appendant bodies dragging members off in different directions, trying to suck them in the moment the put on an apron?  Go make your blue lodge awesome.  Go make SEVERAL blue lodges awesome.  End unsolicited opinion/rant.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 12 August 2016 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-01-20

While you were not specific in the mission of this new body, If the point is to research and discuss the connections between Masonry and ancient civilizations, you might be happier in a Lodge of Research.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 12 August 2016 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2014-06-15
Bro.Casey - 12 August 2016 06:45 AM

California Lodge #183
California Mo
Junior Warden
Ararat Shrine Temple
Booneslick Shrine Club
Sword of Bunker Hill
Ozark Order #109
Masonic Society

Looking at all the other organizations you seem to be a member of, I wonder where you would find the time to do what you are trying to do?

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 12 August 2016 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  424
Joined  2014-03-28

I agree with all of the above, but here’s my spin on it.

There’s nothing to stop you. Virtually every appendant and concordant body now in existence started with a bunch of Masons who had an idea and time on their hands.  (As did an unknowable number of other groups that fell by the wayside, of course.)  So you could. Provided that it isn’t in violation of the ancient landmarks, I don’t know of any rule saying No to brethren starting a new group.

But here’s the kicker. It wouldn’t be recognized as an ‘official’ body by anybody else until (when and if) it grew large enough to attract official - and favourable - attention at the grand lodge level. What you would be is a bunch of guys who are interested in Druidism and who restrict membership in the group to Masons.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but it would be a really uphill battle. But hey, ideas are what make life fun.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 12 August 2016 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2015-08-17

Thanks everyone for your answers and help. To answer one question about the purpose of this group it is to teach leadership, promote philanthropy and to encourage our members and all men to be decent men. I will probably continue to work on it if nothing else as a fun side project with friends. Again thanks for your answers brothers.

Signature 

Casey P.
Junior Warden
California Lodge #183- California Mo
Ararat Shrine Temple
\Ozark Order #109 - SOBH
Masonic Society
Jefferson City Chapter #34
Ezra Council #32
Prince of Peace Commandery #29

Posted: 13 August 2016 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  941
Joined  2011-03-20

Of course there have been many hundreds of Fraternities that have no connection to Freemasonry other than being Fraternities.

There have already been Orders as you describe which have come and gone due to lack of interest or support. My own Great Grandfather (I have his GL Certificate) was a member of the Ancient Order of Druids in the early 1900s and it I believe has a small following still so you should probably contact it.

Your idea is fine but understand from the beginning it isn’t Masonic.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 13 August 2016 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
Mike Martin - 13 August 2016 04:36 AM

...My own Great Grandfather (I have his GL Certificate) was a member of the Ancient Order of Druids in the early 1900s and it I believe has a small following still so you should probably contact it…

Except keep in mind that it is not a Masonic affiliated organization (Freemasonry not a requirement for membership) and it can never be an Appendant/Concordant body to mainstream freemasonry as it accepts women as members.

But just because it is not masonically affiliated does not mean you can’t join UNLESS your specific GL has denounced it (like some do with the OTO and/or the Golden Dawn).

But here is the website: http://aoda.org/aoda_history.html

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 13 August 2016 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  941
Joined  2011-03-20
Bro DHoward - 13 August 2016 10:14 AM

Except keep in mind that it is not a Masonic affiliated organization (Freemasonry not a requirement for membership) and it can never be an Appendant/Concordant body to mainstream freemasonry as it accepts women as members.

Just to clarify, I did make it clear that it is/was non Masonic, nothing to do with who can join (the AOD My GGF was a member in was men-only) but because the religion and practises of the Ancient Druids has nothing to do with the Builder’s Craft.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 13 August 2016 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
Mike Martin - 13 August 2016 01:46 PM

Just to clarify, I did make it clear that it is/was non Masonic, nothing to do with who can join (the AOD My GGF was a member in was men-only)

No problem I wasn’t really addressing my post to you Bro Martin, but I did quote your posting. Actually I’m glad you cleared it up because your post actually said:

Your idea is fine but understand from the beginning it isn’t Masonic.

Which leads me to believe you were saying the OP’s idea was not Masonic and not the AODs.

the AOD My GGF was a member in was men-only

And that may be so, but now according to the AOD of America’s website:

Who may join?

The Ancient Order of Druids in America welcomes applications for membership from men and women of all spiritual, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, age 18 or older, who wish to create and follow a personal path of nature spirituality in the traditions of the Druid Revival.”

It may have been a men’s only organization when it first formed in the US because it was started by Freemasons. But now it no longer claims any ties to freemasonry and allows men and women.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 13 August 2016 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2013-08-19
Mike Martin - 13 August 2016 04:36 AM

...My own Great Grandfather (I have his GL Certificate) was a member of the Ancient Order of Druids in the early 1900s and it I believe has a small following still so you should probably contact it…

But just because it is not masonically affiliated does not mean you can’t join UNLESS your specific GL has denounced it (like some do with the OTO and/or the Golden Dawn).

Hi David,

I’m not sure about this but on what I’ve been reading so far in UK we cannot join any group that requires us to participate in our “masonic capacity”, therefore OTO and Golden Dawn are off limits.

Is it the same in US?

Signature 

Member of Craft, Royal Arch, SRIA.
Mazzini Lodge #824 F. & A.M.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 14 August 2016 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
nymaso3 - 13 August 2016 11:53 PM

I’m not sure about this but on what I’ve been reading so far in UK we cannot join any group that requires us to participate in our “masonic capacity”, therefore OTO and Golden Dawn are off limits.

Is it the same in US?

I guess that depends on what you mean by “participate in our Masonic capacity”. But as I said before, each individual GL here in the USA has sole authority over their members. So each individual GL decides what organizations are okay to join. Usually, if the organization lays claims to masonic involvement then it usually must be a concordant/appendant body subordinate to the GL to be approved. But there are some out there that are not approved and still claim to be “masonic” so those are not allowed.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 17 August 2016 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2013-08-19
Bro DHoward - 14 August 2016 10:20 AM
nymaso3 - 13 August 2016 11:53 PM

Is it the same in US?

I guess that depends on what you mean by “participate in our Masonic capacity”. But as I said before, each individual GL here in the USA has sole authority over their members. So each individual GL decides what organizations are okay to join. Usually, if the organization lays claims to masonic involvement then it usually must be a concordant/appendant body subordinate to the GL to be approved. But there are some out there that are not approved and still claim to be “masonic” so those are not allowed.

I meant that they require you to be a Mason to join that order or they have a degree that pretend to make you a Mason, like the OTO.
Oh yes, I forgot that each individual GL in the US has sole authority over their members, so there might be different rules in different states. Got it!
Thank you David

Signature 

Member of Craft, Royal Arch, SRIA.
Mazzini Lodge #824 F. & A.M.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 19 August 2016 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-09-27

I’m unaware of any restriction on any iteration of the Golden Dawn, as opposed to the OTO. Does anyone have details of such a prohibition?

Signature 

Ashton-upon-Mersey Lodge 4654 (UGLE)
Loge Concord 134 (GON)
HRA
MMM
KT
HRA KTP
1° SRIA
4° AASR

Posted: 26 September 2016 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2014-04-16

Sounds quite interesting. Unfortunately, there’s tons of appendant bodies and I don’t think a new body can hold a torch to organizations like Shrine, York Rite & Scottish Rite. Plus, to much time consumption with the other bodies.

Signature 

Bro. Torres

United Brethren Lodge A.F. & A.M. Marlborough, MA
Eureka Royal Arch Chapter, Worcester, MA
Hiram Council (R&S.M.), Worcester, MA
Aletheia Grotto, West Boylston, MA
Massasoit Forest #91 (Tall Cedars of Lebanon), Glocester, RI
Worcester County Commandery No.5, Worcester, MA
The Philalethes Society
The Masonic Society
The Phylaxis Society

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5020 seconds.