Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 3
Black Masons
Posted: 24 July 2016 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2012-04-23

I have been a Mason for a few years now,but when it comes to being recognized as a brother,I do not feel accepted by some of my white brothers here in the south (TEXAS).Is it normal for lodges not to accept that a black man is a Mason.I have felt very welcome when it comes to this site,you guys show real brotherly love to everyone.My Lodge is in Logansport La.but I live in Tx.That was the closest black Lodge that that I could find to my home.I ask for an application at the lodge in the town where I live but they told me that MY PEOPLE had a Lodge up the street,which was not true.Is this normal?Just now getting the nerve to ask about it.

Signature 

McDaniel Lodge #74 AF&AM;
Logansport La.
MW Universal Grand Lodge
Initiated:7/17/2012
Passed:11/06/2012
Raised:1/6/2013

Posted: 24 July 2016 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2014-06-15

Is this normal?Just now getting the nerve to ask about it.

I’m not sure “normal” is the way to put it.

No, it is not “normal”, but unfortunately right now in the southern jurisdictions it is more the common occurrence. Hopefully, one day soon that will change. I can say that there have been stirrings for change, but it seems to take a while here.

What it boils down to for us in my jurisdiction, is that there is a growing number of masons who want to get past this old bigoted way of doing things. But since right now, in our jurisdiction at least, it only takes one negative vote or blackball to keep a candidate from moving forward. So even if the majority of the lodge is willing to accept a man, one prejudiced fool can negate that action and never have to explain why.

Honestly, if you were to apply to my lodge then I would try to reach out to you to tell you that you have every right to apply for membership. I would explain the process to you so that you would understand what I was about to say. Then I would tell you that the likelihood of your membership being accepted would be very slim (because I know how misguided a very few certain individuals are). I would want you to make an informed decision whether or not to proceed. If your membership application was rejected then you would not receive an explanation other than the membership voted no. I would also hope that you would go through with your application in hopes that my brothers would have grown in their opinions and feelings. But I would also respect your decision not to apply knowing what would probably occur.

I don’t know how it actually played out in your case with those guys in Louisiana/Texas, but it could have been a similar scenario trying to save you some undue hardship. Texas is supposed to be a little more “progressive” in that their GL has established relationship with their Prince Hall brothers which one would hope means that they have a more progressive stance on ethnicity in their lodges. But the reality is that the GL can say all they want, the real decisions are left up to the local lodges.

Sorry, my friend. I hope things work out better for you in the future.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 24 July 2016 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2012-04-16

What is the “MW Universal Grand Lodge”? Could that be the issue, and not race?

Signature 

Craig Riha
Smithtown #1127
New York

Posted: 24 July 2016 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
Bertiferous - 24 July 2016 09:37 PM

What is the “MW Universal Grand Lodge”? Could that be the issue, and not race?

True. This Grand Lodge is supposed to be one of those called “fake freemasonry” but what it probably means is that it was not chartered appropriately. This would affect the way he was allowed to visit/not-visit since it wouldn’t be recognized by the mainstream GL nor the PH GL. So yes that would be a problem.

But I believe he said he was turned away from a mainstream lodge at first which forced him to look into this other lodge that was semi close to his home.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 24 July 2016 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  430
Joined  2014-03-28

It has been said that there is not one single true Christian on this whole planet, for no man is capable of living up to His ideals. (The same would, of course, hold true for all other religions.)

While Freemasonry strives for the improvement of each of its members and while the equality of all people is explicit in its rituals, it sadly is comprised of human beings, each inherently flawed and subject to beliefs which should have been buried long ago.

I cannot speak to your experience, nor to the Universal GL, but what you described is anything but Masonic. I’m sorry.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 25 July 2016 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2013-08-19
BW1976 - 24 July 2016 03:56 PM

I have been a Mason for a few years now,but when it comes to being recognized as a brother,I do not feel accepted by some of my white brothers here in the south (TEXAS).Is it normal for lodges not to accept that a black man is a Mason.I have felt very welcome when it comes to this site,you guys show real brotherly love to everyone.My Lodge is in Logansport La.but I live in Tx.That was the closest black Lodge that that I could find to my home.I ask for an application at the lodge in the town where I live but they told me that MY PEOPLE had a Lodge up the street,which was not true.Is this normal?Just now getting the nerve to ask about it.

I don’t understand if you are not recognised as a brother from the same people in the universal lodge or from the mainstream freemasonry.

Signature 

Member of Craft, Royal Arch, SRIA.
Mazzini Lodge #824 F. & A.M.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 25 July 2016 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  945
Joined  2011-03-20

To be honest I think you are looking at the wrong part of your situation. It is not you or your skin colour that is the point here, it is the fact that you are a member of a Lodge under a Grand Lodge that is not recognised by them!

If you live in Texas and were looking for a Prince Hall Lodge why did you not contact the MW Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas http://www.mwphglotx.org/about/affiliated-lodges/

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 25 July 2016 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4036
Joined  2007-09-27

Need more info here.  I will say that I doubt MW Universal Lodge is a recognized Grand Lodge by most Masons in most states.  If you are a member of a lodge that is not recognized by the Grand Lodge of Texas (which is a GL that I know has just started having visitations between Prince Hall and mainstream Masonry), then that could definitely be the problem.

What lodge did you approach and what did you ask them?  The answers to this will help us figure out exactly what happened, but I’m not ready to call this racially motivated until I get the details.  Not ruling it out, either.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 25 July 2016 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2328
Joined  2011-01-20

I found the Universal Grand Lodge web site. There is a gmail address to contact the Grand Master, a picture of the grand lodge officers in which it appears that only a few are wearing aprons and those aprons do not appear to be consistent in design. There are photographs of a large party that are labelled “The Most Worshipful Universal Grand Lodge 87th Annual Grand Session in Alexandria, Louisiana in 2009”. It does not appear that this organization extends outside of Louisiana.

In all honesty, if you showed up at my lodge asking for admission you would not be welcomed as a brother because you are not a brother from my jurisdiction’s point of view. I might suggest you hang out in the game room until the meeting is over and share some fellowship with us but you would not be welcome in our meetings.

While I respect your choice to become a Mason, you do not belong to a recognized Grand Lodge so you would only be welcomed as a brother in the few lodges under it. In order for you to be part of regular Freemasonry, you will need to resign your membership in the “clandestine” lodge you currently belong to and petition a regular lodge (PHA or mainstream is up to you).

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 25 July 2016 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15

...I ask for an application at the lodge in the town where I live but they told me that MY PEOPLE had a Lodge up the street…

Question: Did you try to apply/petition this lodge before or after you joined in the jurisdiction of the “Most Worshipful Universal Grand Lodge”?

If it was after then what these others are saying is true, you were not a brother in the sense that your GL is not recognized by Texas and Louisiana mainstream GLs or the Texas and Louisiana PH GLs. So you would be considered a clandestine mason.

Now if you applied BEFORE you joined this other questionable GL, then that is another issue all together as stated in my original post.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 26 July 2016 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2015-11-25

I was born in MS. Spent over 35 years in MS and LA before moving to CO a few years ago. Racism still exits in the south. W vs B and B vs W. I am sorry you had that experience.

I can’t offer much advice but I do know that historically, LA Freemasonry always did exist a bit different and peculiar from the rest of the nation. And for a time there was a Regularly Accepted Grand Lodge and a French Grand Lodge that took some time to come in line with the rest of the country when Freemasonry and the Rites became more standardized and better organized. Since then, LA is still slowly continuing to line up with the rest of the Freemasonry.

Having said THAT, there is still no excuse for racism in Freemasonry, peculiar lodges or not.

As a white southern Brother, to a black southern Brother take heart. Many forms of racism in the south are dying out with the old bigots who are passing on. And what isn’t dying out, is being bred out (slowly) as many families are becoming mixed race.

Personally, I’d rather know up front that I was unwanted and move on to another lodge (down the road) as he called it.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 26 July 2016 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-07-22

bogus masonry…so may GLs all over the place.  The thing is most of them are forces for good in their community.  Most members have NO FRIGGEN clue that they got duped.  All we can do as Regular Brothers (PHA and State GLs)  is to give them the info and stand back and watch!

Posted: 26 July 2016 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2012-03-05

My friend, as others have pointed out you have joined a Grand Lodge that is unrecognized by any mainstream Grand Lodge or Prince Hall Grand Lodge. No lodge affiliated with either is permitted to accept you.

There are remedies for this. You can be healed. But you would have to demit from your current lodge and might be required to denounce them. You should think carefully about how you want to proceed.

Signature 

Dave

Master-Elect, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 26 July 2016 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2014-12-23

Good evening Brothers. I am a member of the MWPHGL of South Carolina. The State GL does not recognize my GL. Although in North Carolina, the State GL does recognize the MWPHGL of NC. So when I attend lodge there, I might see a few of my friends (who are Brothers in the State GL of SC). However, I can’t attend lodge in SC with those same friends.

As of two years ago, there were still no African American masons in the State GL (SC). Honestly I don’t see that changing anytime soon. So even though are GL situation is different, I share some of the same experiences. Now my advice would be to reach out to a Prince Hall Affiliated lodge.

Signature 

Initiated 2/19/15
Passed 4/16/15
Raised 5/21/15

Posted: 27 July 2016 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
edander - 26 July 2016 10:32 PM

...As of two years ago, there were still no African American masons in the State GL (SC). Honestly I don’t see that changing anytime soon. So even though are GL situation is different, I share some of the same experiences. Now my advice would be to reach out to a Prince Hall Affiliated lodge.

Unfortunately, we still do not know the entire story here.  He joined a “bogus” freemasonry group. He could have joined under the GL or PHGL of Texas but did not. What we don’t know at this point is which came first? Did he join this questionable GL and then tried to visit a lodge in one of the other GL jurisdictions? Or did he first try to join a mainstream lodge and was pushed away for bigoted reasons? Texas is a state that has mutual recognition between GL and PHGL.

Until he takes the time to answer a few of the questions posed by other brothers on this forum, we will not know the best way to answer him.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 27 July 2016 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2015-11-25
edander - 26 July 2016 10:32 PM

Good evening Brothers. I am a member of the MWPHGL of South Carolina. The State GL does not recognize my GL. Although in North Carolina, the State GL does recognize the MWPHGL of NC. So when I attend lodge there, I might see a few of my friends (who are Brothers in the State GL of SC). However, I can’t attend lodge in SC with those same friends.

As of two years ago, there were still no African American masons in the State GL (SC). Honestly I don’t see that changing anytime soon. So even though are GL situation is different, I share some of the same experiences. Now my advice would be to reach out to a Prince Hall Affiliated lodge.

If there are no African American Masons at the Grand Lodge makes no more difference to me than if there WERE some African Americans there. As long as the best mason for the job is in the appropriate position then it doesn’t have to be racism just because diversity is not in our field of view.

Regular Lodges allow black members. PH Lodges allow white members. There really is no need for PH lodges anymore but black members choose to stay separate to honor tradition.

(mostly speaking for people reading along that may not know)

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

1 of 3

‹‹ Hi Brothers      Eradius Emmanuel Mlokozi ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4265 seconds.