Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Potential Mason
Posted: 05 July 2016 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-07-05

I’m interested in becoming a Mason.  I understand meetings are held at night, but I work nights and won’t be able to attend any meetings.  How does it work for people who work nights?  Are the meetings mandatory?  If so, I won’t be able to become a Mason.

Posted: 05 July 2016 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2012-09-18

In larger urban areas there are often “daylight lodges” that meet for the convenience of those who work nights or do not want to drive at night. Your location would help to give you a better answer.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 05 July 2016 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4043
Joined  2007-09-27

In just doing a quick search, I see that there are daylight lodges in St. Petersburg, Ocala, and Casselberry at the very least.

Looks like none of those are really close enough to Panama City Beach.  You may want to contact the Grand Lodge of Florida and ask them if there are any daylight lodges in your area.  They should be able to help.  The number is (800) 375-2339.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 05 July 2016 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-07-05

Copy, thanks both of you.

Posted: 07 July 2016 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2012-10-25

We always tell our brothers that while regular attendance is desired, the lodge should never come before your work, family or God.

Signature 

Forte est vinum fortior est rex fortiores sunt mulieres super omnia vincit veritas
(Wine is Strong, the King is Stronger, Women are Strongest: but Truth Conquers All)

Barry Goen
Boyleston Lodge 123 AFM
Balentine SC

Columbia Chapter No. 5
Royal Arch Masons
Columbia, SC

Union Council No. 5
Royal and Select Masters
Columbia, SC

Columbia Commandry No. 2
Knights Templars
Columbia, SC

Posted: 08 July 2016 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-04-01

Cjack,

I was born in Wewahitcka Florida (About 40 mins away from PCB). There are several lodges in that area, and I even have a few cards from some brothers from that area. I’ll see if I can dig them up and possibly pass on an email address or two for you to contact. It is always best to ask the lodges themselves what nights they meet. Each lodge has different meeting nights (and how many times a month they meet can vary as well) so maybe you can find one that meets up on a night you are not working. My lodge will always tell our brothers to put work and the needs of those that depend upon us before the meetings, just attend when you can.

I will note that at first it is best to try to attend at meeting nights and get to know the membership there, if only to see if you are compatible with that lodge and vice versa. Personally I am fortunate to be in a position I am able to schedule myself off most times for the meets, but even prior to that I was straight forward with my employer that I needed my lodge nights off from time to time and they worked with me happily. Remember Masonry is a Society with Secrets not a Secret Society. Nothing wrong with being open about ‘being a mason’ with people as needed. We all obviously have at some point or another else the craft would not have lasted long. ;-)

And if it makes you feel any more comfortable I know brothers that have been around a long time that only make a few meetings per year due to work. Does not make them any less a mason. I do hope you will pursue your interest in it, and just be open with your lodge of choice and I’m sure that at the very least maybe they can point you out to a lodge that can meet your time schedule.

Signature 

Richard A. Millergren
Inner Guard of Germania #46 F&AM;
New Orleans Louisiana

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4634 seconds.