Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
Excited to Join Freemasonry!
Posted: 23 June 2016 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2016-06-22

I want to start off by first saying hello to everyone on the forum. I have been interested in Freemasonry for a while and this year I finally petitioned to join a lodge which is local to my home. I came by the lodge and attended a blood drive, met several brothers (one was my scout master who is now the DDGM and a member of the lodge) and was invited to a dinner the following Wednesday. At this dinner I asked the WM about my interest in joining Freemasonry. I sat down with the WM, SW and JD during the month of February (day after my birthday) to fill out my petition and was really looking forward to the process that the Brothers explained to me.

A few months later I was told that my petition had been read during one of their stated communications and was honored to find out that the WM was also my sponsor :)! During that time I was also able to attend an open lodge ceremony for a 50 year masonic service pin recipient and a Widows ceremony. Both of these reaffirmed my decisions for wanting to join - they were incredible! On Wednesday, June 1st I had an interview at my house with the investigation committee and it was such a pleasant experience. It was very casual and filled with great conversation and insight. The following Wednesday June 8th, I attended dinner and was told that I was balloted upon and elected to receive my degrees this Fall (lodge is dark in July and August)!!!

I cannot explain how exciting and rewarding this experience has been.  I am looking forward to starting my degree work in the Fall and continuing this new and exciting chapter in my life.

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to share and capture my Masonic Journey to date.

Thanks to all who have supported so far.

-Manny

Signature 

Bro. Manuel Hoyo

Entered: 12/21/2016
Passed: 1/18/2017
Raised: 3/15/2017

Celestial Lodge A.F. & A.M. - Westwood MA

Posted: 24 June 2016 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2319
Joined  2011-01-20
Manny_Hoyo - 23 June 2016 06:41 PM

I want to start off by first saying hello to everyone on the forum. I have been interested in Freemasonry for a while and this year I finally petitioned to join a lodge which is local to my home. I came by the lodge and attended a blood drive, met several brothers (one was my scout master who is now the DDGM and a member of the lodge) and was invited to a dinner the following Wednesday. At this dinner I asked the WM about my interest in joining Freemasonry. I sat down with the WM, SW and JD during the month of February (day after my birthday) to fill out my petition and was really looking forward to the process that the Brothers explained to me.

A few months later I was told that my petition had been read during one of their stated communications and was honored to find out that the WM was also my sponsor :)! During that time I was also able to attend an open lodge ceremony for a 50 year masonic service pin recipient and a Widows ceremony. Both of these reaffirmed my decisions for wanting to join - they were incredible! On Wednesday, June 1st I had an interview at my house with the investigation committee and it was such a pleasant experience. It was very casual and filled with great conversation and insight. The following Wednesday June 8th, I attended dinner and was told that I was balloted upon and elected to receive my degrees this Fall (lodge is dark in July and August)!!!

I cannot explain how exciting and rewarding this experience has been.  I am looking forward to starting my degree work in the Fall and continuing this new and exciting chapter in my life.

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to share and capture my Masonic Journey to date.

Thanks to all who have supported so far.

-Manny

Welcome . You will find the journey to be wonderful.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 30 June 2016 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2015-07-24

Welcome brother. Having just joined last year I can frankly and honestly say it was one of the best decisions I have made. Enjoy!!!

Signature 

Fraternally,

Troy Henderson

Petitioned: June, 2015
Initiated: September, 2015
Passed: November, 2015
Raised: February, 2016

Abbottsford Lodge #70
Abbotsford, BC

Posted: 08 December 2016 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-06-22

Wow -  I can’t believe in about 2 weeks I’ll be initiated into Freemasonry at the monthly communication meeting for December at my Lodge.

I must ask if anyone has any guidance on this that they may share as I’m going into a very exciting event for me.

Thanks!

Signature 

Bro. Manuel Hoyo

Posted: 09 December 2016 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2007-09-27

Great news!!!!!  Congratulations.  I know you will enjoy your journey.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32┬░ Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 09 December 2016 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2016-08-26
Manny_Hoyo - 08 December 2016 08:59 PM

I must ask if anyone has any guidance on this that they may share as I’m going into a very exciting event for me.

First… Welcome to the Craft.

Second, as a new Mason (Still an EA), I will give you a couple of tips..

1) Just let it flow.  When you go through your ceremony, LISTEN to what is said, THINK about what is said and (I think) PAY ATTENTION to what you do during the ceremony.  (all of these will come in handy. When you start your learning, it would be easier if your able to envision what happened during your ceremony)

2) Relax and Enjoy the adventure.  Many folks will not give you much insight, as letting you experience it first hand will go a long way.  Please do not be discouraged by it, it truly is for your benefit.

3) Do not research anything on the internet right now.  While there are some GREAT sites with perfectly accurate information (depending on jurisdiction), there are MANY MORE sites that have it partially or (worse) totally wrong.

4) Get to know all your brothers in the lodge.  Learn to lean on your instructors when you have questions, that is what they are there for.  While they may be unable to answer all of your questions, due to you being new to the craft, they may be able to answer some things.

5) ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND.. You are new to the craft, you are EXPECTED to not know everything.  While being a quick study helps, do not let the fear of doing something wrong, keep you from trying new things.

Cheers!

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 09 December 2016 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1446
Joined  2010-11-01

Manny - That is wonderful news.  Everything Brother Ken mentioned is absolutely correct.  For your first degree, all you need to do is show up when you are instructed to and bring whatever you are told to bring (if anything).  In my lodge for example, all a candidate needs to bring is his initiation fee if he has not already paid it.  Other than that, you don’t have to prepare or know anything.  You will speak during the degree, but it will be perfectly clear what you need to say and when you need to say it so don’t worry there.  Listen and pay attention to everything once you are told the degree is starting.  Trust me, you’ll know when it has begun.  Most importantly, relax and enjoy it.  When the ceremony is complete, ask all the questions that you have.  It will be a lot to digest so while you may not have any right there, once you have had time to think about it a little, the questions will come to you.  Remember, the only dumb question is the one that remains unasked….Congratulations to you as you start the beginning of your journey.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 09 December 2016 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20

Hi Manny,

Ask your sponsor to bring you to another lodge to see each degree from the sidelines as soon as you can after receiving it.  You will remember more that way.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 10 December 2016 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  275
Joined  2013-04-04
Brother John - 09 December 2016 04:19 PM

Hi Manny,

Ask your sponsor to bring you to another lodge to see each degree from the sidelines as soon as you can after receiving it.  You will remember more that way.

I agree with Brother John.  Observing the degree from the sideline is a great way to learn. IMO you should make every effort to do so. Enjoy your journey.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 13 December 2016 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-06-22

Thanks to all for the kind words. I have made sure to just stay away from any research (other than what I’ve browsed here) all together.

I was informed to arrive at 530 to my Lodge next Wednesday so I’m definitely psyched for that. 

Some folks suggested viewing the 1st degree in person - should this be done prior to 2nd degree?

Thanks in advance to all the feedback!

Signature 

Bro. Manuel Hoyo

Posted: 13 December 2016 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Manny_Hoyo - 13 December 2016 08:30 PM

Thanks to all for the kind words. I have made sure to just stay away from any research (other than what I’ve browsed here) all together.

I was informed to arrive at 530 to my Lodge next Wednesday so I’m definitely psyched for that. 

Some folks suggested viewing the 1st degree in person - should this be done prior to 2nd degree?

Thanks in advance to all the feedback!

Ideally,  yes. It always helps to see the degree you just went through from the sidelines as soon as possible because it makes all the stuff you heard, saw and did clearer. You see what happened before you were admitted and see what you couldn’t during the degree. Let’s face it, the degrees are like drinking from a fire hose.

Don’t worry if you can’t make it before your next degree, you will see many people go through them as you grow in Masonry.  Learning all I could was the reason I became an officer in the first place and now I have the distinct privilege of conferring the degrees from the East. I still learn something new each time I see each degree.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 22 December 2016 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-06-22

What a NIGHT last night - I went through the EA Degree and it was an incredible experience, very surreal and one I’ll remember forever. Looking forward to the work that is now ahead of me.

Signature 

Bro. Manuel Hoyo

Posted: 22 December 2016 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Manny_Hoyo - 22 December 2016 08:01 PM

What a NIGHT last night - I went through the EA Degree and it was an incredible experience, very surreal and one I’ll remember forever. Looking forward to the work that is now ahead of me.

Welcome worthy Brother. You learned how to take the first step in a life-long journey. My fervent hope for you is that you receive all that I have and more from the Craft. Get involved, stay involved. I will be presiding over a First Degree on the fourth Thursday in January. If you can make it to Lowell we open at 7:00 PM. You must be accompanied by a Master Mason who was present at your degree.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 09 January 2017 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-06-22

Wednesday night is my EA examination - really looking forward to it. To all Brethren out there, put in the work, it definitely makes the difference. I had a meeting last night with my Mentor and left feeling very confident. You truthfully get out of Masonry what you put into it and its no different with the “work.” If all goes well, I’ll be passed to Fellow Craft on January 18th - really excited!

Signature 

Bro. Manuel Hoyo

Posted: 15 January 2017 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-06-22

I am happy to report that this Wednesday, January 18th I will be passed to the degree of Fellow Craft.  Really looking forward to it as many Brothers I’ve spoken to have stated it is a beautiful degree. 

Just wondering if anyone has any words of advice or encouragement for this degree? I have also enjoyed learning and discussing about the EA lectures and degree and also reading the Claudy Book, so I cannot wait to do the same on the FC Degree!

Signature 

Bro. Manuel Hoyo

Posted: 16 January 2017 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2012-09-18

Just enjoy the evening.
Now that you know how to learn the Q%A, this one should be easier to pick up as it is in the same format and builds upon what you now know.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 1.1206 seconds.