Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

An in depth book explaining the degrees, telling the story.
Posted: 10 June 2016 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2016-03-28

Where I could get a book explaining all the degrees, rituals, lectures, meanings and stories of Freemasonry?

1-3 Blue lodge

4-33 Scottish rite

4-10 York Rite

Out of respect for Freemasonry feel free to send me a private message on this subject.

Now that I have said that, are Masons supposed to help with this? or are the words I have stated, “bad”?

Posted: 10 June 2016 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2329
Joined  2011-01-20

That’s quite a request and there is a library in Boston in the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts that is filled with books that might be a good start.

We do not publish our rituals and lectures for public consumption. In fact, we take an oath to never write that information down.

If you want to learn about Being a Freemason, why not just join us? If you don’t like it, you can leave at any time.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 13 June 2016 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2011-03-20
User112 - 10 June 2016 11:29 AM

Where I could get a book explaining all the degrees, rituals, lectures, meanings and stories of Freemasonry?

1-3 Blue lodge

1-33 Scottish rite

1-10 York Rite

Out of respect for Freemasonry feel free to send me a private message on this subject.

Now that I have said that, are Masons supposed to help with this? or are the words I have stated, “bad”?

Revan33 by any chance?

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 13 June 2016 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

There are a number of excellent books on Freemasonry. For a beginner, I recommend:

“Freemasonry for Dummies”

“The complete idiot’s guide to Freemasonry”

These two books will give you an excellent “bird’s eye view” of the Craft. Freemasonry invites serious study, everything we stand for is out there for all the world to see. The only secrets are the modes of recognition, and even these are published in books and on the internet.

If you choose to study Freemasonry, you can also contact the Grand lodge in your state of residence, and ask them for recommendations. You can also contact the Scottish Rite valley in your state, and they may recommend some books to you, or even loan you some. If you can get to Washington DC, check with the Headquarters Scottish Rite, and there is huge library of books there for public use.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 18 June 2016 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2014-04-13

Reading a book on Freemasonry is like reading a book on tightrope walking.  You can read all about tightrope walking but that will not make you a tightrope walker.  In fact, I will tell you the secret right now.  The secret of tightrope walking is balance.  But knowing that balance is “the secret” doesn’t make you a tightrope walker.

Too many people, both Masons and non-Masons, think that there is some “magic secret” and that once they know it they will understand.  In fact the opposite is true.  You have to understand before you can know.  You have to spend a lot of time on the rope practicing before your body understands how to balance well enough to walk the length of the rope.  There is no way to refine your balance except through practice. 

Freemasonry is a fraternity.  You can’t get fraternity from a book.

Signature 

Chesapeake #147
GL of MD

Posted: 29 June 2016 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2014-06-15

I guess a good question to ask here is, whether or not we can supply any information, what are your intentions for this information? Why do you ask?

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 12 July 2016 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2016-03-28
Bro DHoward - 29 June 2016 07:00 AM

I guess a good question to ask here is, whether or not we can supply any information, what are your intentions for this information? Why do you ask?

I ask so I can confirm something in which I already know, no one can actually know the secret unless they have to eyes to see it.

What if I broke the ice and stated to you the “secret” would I then have any further chance of obtaining the Masonic story of the construction of Solomon’s temple?

Posted: 12 July 2016 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2329
Joined  2011-01-20
User112 - 12 July 2016 02:25 AM

I ask so I can confirm something in which I already know, no one can actually know the secret unless they have to eyes to see it.

What if I broke the ice and stated to you the “secret” would I then have any further chance of obtaining the Masonic story of the construction of Solomon’s temple?

No. If you actually understood the “secret” you would never ask that question.  If you’re so eager to learn our secrets, why not go about it the best and most effective way,  by going through the degrees?

I’m sure you, like many others,  think you have done lots of great research and know everything about us. What you are missing is the warm embrace of a brother, the comfort of knowing you have good men to turn to in times of need and the confidence of knowing you will rush to their aid with only a word. It isn’t about the temple. It’s about being the kind of man who can look back on his life and know he has used his tools well.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 30 July 2016 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  783
Joined  2007-03-18

Well said, Brother. Well said.

B.

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 31 July 2016 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2010-11-01
User112 - 12 July 2016 02:25 AM

Ah, here we go yet again.  An outsider who THINKS that by reading a few books, (s)he has somehow obtained something the rest of us who are members, do not have.  This is just not possible.  State all the facts, figures or whatever you THINK the secret is.  Until you experience the degrees, you have nothing on which to base your statements and no understanding of what freemasonry is.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 07 August 2016 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2016-02-14

1-3 Blue lodge

4-33 Scottish rite

4-10 York Rite

The only reason I can think of why a person, who isn’t a Mason, would would request all of that would be to portray himself as a Mason without actually going through the initiation. The fact that you thought you’d get the desired response is somewhat laughable. There are plenty of books a quick Google search would pull up, but until you’ve learned how to decipher the words, rituals, etc., you’d be just as confused about it as you are now. The only way to know what Masonry truly is is to join. To do that you can start by contacting the Grand Lodge in your state, or a local Lodge.

Signature 

S&F,

Traveling Man
East Lansing Lodge # 480, F&AM;
Michigan Lodge of Research # 1, F&AM;
Grand Lodge of Michigan

Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite (NMJ), Valley of Detroit

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3696 seconds.