Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Seeking further light about the masonic bodies.
Posted: 05 June 2016 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2016-03-28

So we have those charts with the Craft lodge along with the York and Scottish rites.

However I have done some research into various masonic “orders” and I have noticed that their degrees seem to be the same degrees within the chapters of the main rites for instance the cryptic degrees.

Considering these factors, what is the purpose of masonic orders in general if they have the same degrees? along with this does anyone know of a good chart showing the orders in.. well, order?

Posted: 05 June 2016 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

The Craft Lodge is the core of Freemasonry.  The appendant and concordant bodies each have their own focus. The Shrine is the fun loving body. York Rite offers the lessons of the Craft Lodge from a Christian perspective while Scottish Rite expands on the lessons of the degrees with historical and contemporary views. There is very little in common in the degrees of York and Scottish Rite. The main thing they both have in common is an expansion and different perspective on the lessons learned in the three degrees.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32┬░
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 05 June 2016 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2016-03-28

I got it now, the individual bodies aren’t really “individual” so to speak, they are simply a few degrees bunched together in either rite, it would seem I am learning!

Posted: 05 June 2016 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2014-06-15

Think of the Scottish Rite and York Rite in this way…

They are two different authors telling a similar story but in different words. By reading both books you may “hear” similar themes but because they are coming from different directions and leading towards a different goal or climax then you will get a different experience from each “book”.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 06 June 2016 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1478
Joined  2010-11-01

Brother - I have to say that while your questions are good ones, they are not questions you should be spending a lot of time on at this particular point. Your focus as an EA is on your EA work and delving deeper into that. You may THINK that you are complete with your EA work when you have memorized the small bit assigned to you. However, this is definitely not the case. There is so much more to it than that.  Take your question on symbolism, and direct it at your EA degree. It will open up a whole other set of questions. All the other areas will still be there for you to research and dissect AFTER you have become a Master Mason.  Without a firm grasp and understanding of each of the craft degrees, all the rest is of the degrees are pointless.

I applaud you on your eagerness to look beyond what is initially presented and wish you luck on your journey.  Congratulations on your EA and welcome to the craft.

Signature 

V:.W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Asst. Grand Lecturer Old 17th District
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32┬░AASR
St Georges Chapter #157 RAM
High Priest

St. George’s Council #74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Sr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2987 seconds.