Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

What is the Illuminati? Are Freemasons and Illuminati the same thing?
Posted: 12 May 2016 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2016-05-02

Does the Illuminati even exist? I’ve heard people say there is a relationship between Freemasons and Illuminati but, I don’t even think the Illuminati exists.

Posted: 12 May 2016 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2407
Joined  2011-01-20

You are correct,  the Illuminati was disbanded in the late 18th century. It only exists in the imaginations of fiction authors and conspiracy theorists.

The supposed connection between the two was a result of the Illuminati attempting to recruit from the Fraternity and attempting to join for that purpose.  It didn’t work out so well for them.

If you search this site, you will find much more detail about your question.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 12 May 2016 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4096
Joined  2007-09-27

The Illuminati does not exist anymore.  There was such a group in Bavaria that existed for less than a decade.

Give this page a read: http://masonicinfo.com/illuminati.htm

I think the important part of this question - and it is one we get a lot - is to discern what you mean when you say “Illuminati”.  My guess is you aren’t asking if a group of guys in Bavaria in the 1700s still exist.  Rather, I believe you mean “Is there some underlying group of powerful fraternity members that control everything and call themselves the Illuminati”?

This is where people often try to create ties between this fictional group and the Freemasons.  After all, Freemasons are a fraternal society, they have some secrets (so few secrets, you’d be shocked), and there have been wealthy and powerful members (but VERY few, percentage wise), they use symbols that people don’t always understand and claim to see everywhere (we as humans really have a very small pool of symbols with which to use, so reuse is common!), so why wouldn’t they be connected, right?

However, there is absolutely no connection because, as stated, illuminati is a fictional “concept”, whereas Freemasonry is a very real and tangible fraternity.

Hopefully this STARTS to answer your questions.  I appreciate that it might not be completely clear, but I applaud you for actually asking instead of just assuming a connection based on circumstance.  you’ve already started to seek truth, so bravo!

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 12 May 2016 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  476
Joined  2014-03-28

Using the Illuminati as an example, consider one of the usual conspiracy claims, the one that says there’s an utterly ruthless, all-powerful, all-knowing society willing to kill to keep its secrets.

So, basic question.  Why haven’t they killed all the conspiracy theorists?  You know, the ones who keep claiming to have inside knowledge, the ones who keep blowing the whistle about The Plan? We ‘sheeple’ pose no risk, but how is it that the loudmouths are still above ground?

There are a couple of options.  The first is that the conspiracy theorists and websites are so far from the truth that they pose no threat to the conspirators.

or…

There simply is no such murderous body in existence.

Either way, the tin foil hat crowd is dead wrong (pun semi-intended).

BTW, good for you to do some checking! Keep at it - logic and common sense are the foundations for wisdom.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979
WM Zetland Lodge No. 83 - 2017

Posted: 12 May 2016 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1020
Joined  2011-03-20

Question 1, read this: http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/illuminati.html
Question 2, no not really but its Founder joined a Masonic Lodge in Bavaria and was then thrown out again.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 13 May 2016 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2015-11-09

Other than the one group other brothers have spoken about, that briefly existed (as I recall, I think it was for a total of 7 years), no.
The Illuminati referenced these days is something completely made up. It is a reference to people whom conspiracy theorists think control the world. If you dig into these stories, you will see that ANY ties with any sort of fraternity is tenuous, at best. Many simply refer to “hand signs” which are usually nothing more than transitional hand positions, that are a snapshot of the individual moving their hands. When you really think about it, what would be the purpose of revealing a sign on international TV? I mean, if the Illuminati is all seeing, and all knowing, then, surely, they arent signalling to each other-because, whatever message they mean to convey, could certainly be conveyed through more secure means, correct?
To the best of my knowledge, to date, no organization called the Illuminati (barring the one previously referenced) has ever surfaced. IF they were that secretive, first, how would we know that their signs even exist? Two, who would be able to identify the signs as actual signs? Three, who, exactly, are they signalling, when the whole world is watching? That doesnt seem very secretive to me.
A common fallacy used is that lack of evidence is evidence. Well, that doesnt really ever pan out to be the case. There is no evidence of some secret Illuminati society that currently exists, because, well, there is no secret Illuminati society that exists.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

Posted: 13 May 2016 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2407
Joined  2011-01-20

The first reference in modern popular fiction that I recall was in Dan Brown’s Angels and Demons. If you had seen the movie or read the book you will note that even though the whole plot revolved around a supposed Illuminati plot, as it turned out, it was actually a fiction within a fiction. The branding irons were taken from the Vatican Library and used to misdirect the investigators away from the actual perpetrators. I find it amusing that even a fictional story referencing them gives new vigor to the legend.

Of course, there were other books about groups by that name but Angels and Demons was the most widely read.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 16 June 2016 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2014-06-03

To add to this, coming from a conspiracy theorist myself, and also freemason, the illuminati are completely bogus in this day and age. You have to realize that there is a lot of money being made by these illuminati conspiracy theorist who go around fear mongering. You can go on YouTube and find channels dedicated to “helping you see the truth(illuminati)”, yet consider how much money they are making by producing such videos.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3000 seconds.