Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
Scottish Rite One-Day Classes
Posted: 05 May 2016 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2013-08-19

Hello Brothers,

I was wondering what is your opinion about taking the one-day class for the Scottish Rite. I am from UK and I’m thinking of going to US to get the Scottish Rite one day class since it’s different how it works here.

Anyone got into SR in this way?

Thank you very much in advance.

Fraternally,

Signature 

Member of Grand Lodge of New York.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 05 May 2016 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4096
Joined  2007-09-27

Here’s the thing.  If you participate in a Scottish Rite one day “reunion”, you will not actually witness all of the degrees.  Rather, it will be a handful of degrees, making sure to get at least one from each of the bodies.  Might be 4th and 5th, 8th and 14th degree from Lodge of Perfection, then one from Princes of Jerusalem, then one or two from Rose Croix, and then maybe a couple from Consistory (maybe 32nd and 31st).

So….depends on what you are looking for (and if you are eligible to participate, as you would need to join the Valley you are witnessing, and not sure how that works jurisdictionally).

It take more than a day or a weekend to see all the degrees.  I’ve still not seen them all and I joined in 2005.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 05 May 2016 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
Dan Madore - 05 May 2016 01:13 PM

Here’s the thing.  If you participate in a Scottish Rite one day “reunion”, you will not actually witness all of the degrees.  Rather, it will be a handful of degrees, making sure to get at least one from each of the bodies.  Might be 4th and 5th, 8th and 14th degree from Lodge of Perfection, then one from Princes of Jerusalem, then one or two from Rose Croix, and then maybe a couple from Consistory (maybe 32nd and 31st).

So….depends on what you are looking for (and if you are eligible to participate, as you would need to join the Valley you are witnessing, and not sure how that works jurisdictionally).

It take more than a day or a weekend to see all the degrees.  I’ve still not seen them all and I joined in 2005.

Hello Dan,

Thank you very much for your answer.

But I can always take the degrees in that one day class (or weekend) and then see the degrees in other locations in the future, right?

I wonder if the SR one day is like the one day blue lodge where you only witness without an active role in the ceremony.

Signature 

Posted: 05 May 2016 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
nymaso3 - 05 May 2016 01:35 PM

I wonder if the SR one day is like the one day blue lodge where you only witness without an active role in the ceremony.

No need to wonder.  The Scottish Rite degrees are ALL done by witnessing.  They are essentially plays, done in full theatrical form, with makeup, lighting, costumes, etc.  Only the cast of the degree participates.  The candidates merely watch.

Yes, you can join in one day, and I believe all 1 day reunions do the 32nd degree, so you would at the end of the day be a 32nd degree member…..if it is permitted from one jurisdiction to another.  I’m not sure.

As I’m seeing the Commander in Chief of Consistory tonight, I’ll ask him if he knows about UK members joining US Valleys.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 05 May 2016 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-04-06

If a candidate is simply an observer of a skit in a theater, why not just view a video in the comfort of their home? Think about it.

Signature 

York Rite from Blue Lodge to KT with all stops between.
Scottish Rite to 32 degree.
Royal Order of Scotland.
Distinguished Service Award Apron.
York Rite Sovereign College of North America Gold Honor Award.
Internationally publish Masonic authority.
Transactions, American lodge of Research.
Prince Hall, The Phylaxis.
The Philalethes.
Masonic Lecturer.
Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

Posted: 06 May 2016 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
underachiever - 05 May 2016 06:07 PM

If a candidate is simply an observer of a skit in a theater, why not just view a video in the comfort of their home? Think about it.

Not sure I get your meaning.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 06 May 2016 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2007-09-27
nymaso3 - 05 May 2016 01:35 PM

I can always take the degrees in that one day class (or weekend) and then see the degrees in other locations in the future, right?

You can travel to other Valleys to see the degrees performed. I know of a couple Brothers who made it a goal of seeing all 29 degrees in one-year. They were able to accomplish that by traveling outside their mother Valley.

Also, the Valley of Guthrie in Oklahoma holds a reunion each Spring where they perform the 4th through the 29th degree in order. I know several Brothers who have attended and they report the work is flawless. They invite visiting Brethren to attend and even have accommodations for the them (think military-style barracks).

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

Posted: 06 May 2016 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19

Wow! That’s efficiency! :D

Signature 

Posted: 06 May 2016 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2408
Joined  2011-01-20

I joined Scottish Rite after experiencing the commitment to their mission statement, “We will strive to be a fraternity that fulfills our Masonic obligation to care for our members.” first hand. You see, a brother in my lodge was in a bit of a bind. He and his family of eight children and lovely wife needed a larger apartment. They found one but they lost it at the last minute after giving up their old apartment. They became homeless and were living in a single motel room. In three short days, Scottish Rite, along with his lodge and others in the district, gave the brother the funds he needed to get back on his feet, pay off his bills and get an even better apartment. That’s not something that happens when sitting in your living room watching a video.

The degrees, to me are only one part of Scottish Rite, the rest is the social and fraternal aspects of the Rite. Handshakes are rare in a Scottish Rite meeting, we mostly hug. We are true friends and brothers who are attending the “University of Freemasonry” together while having fun.

A few (actually, quite a few now) years ago I owned a cybercafe. My customers were middle school kids who’s talents did not lie on the athletic field. Some of the parents got it. They put their children’s computer in a common area of the house and told them if they wanted to play video games they had to go to my place so they would be social.

The degrees in Scottish Rite are put on by our friends and brothers. We eat and laugh together. When one of us, through no fault of his own, is in difficulties we come together and help. That doesn’t happen when all there is to it is a DVD.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 06 May 2016 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
Brother John - 06 May 2016 09:32 AM

I joined Scottish Rite after experiencing the commitment to their mission statement, “We will strive to be a fraternity that fulfills our Masonic obligation to care for our members.” first hand. You see, a brother in my lodge was in a bit of a bind. He and his family of eight children and lovely wife needed a larger apartment. They found one but they lost it at the last minute after giving up their old apartment. They became homeless and were living in a single motel room. In three short days, Scottish Rite, along with his lodge and others in the district, gave the brother the funds he needed to get back on his feet, pay off his bills and get an even better apartment. That’s not something that happens when sitting in your living room watching a video.

The degrees, to me are only one part of Scottish Rite, the rest is the social and fraternal aspects of the Rite. Handshakes are rare in a Scottish Rite meeting, we mostly hug. We are true friends and brothers who are attending the “University of Freemasonry” together while having fun.

A few (actually, quite a few now) years ago I owned a cybercafe. My customers were middle school kids who’s talents did not lie on the athletic field. Some of the parents got it. They put their children’s computer in a common area of the house and told them if they wanted to play video games they had to go to my place so they would be social.

The degrees in Scottish Rite are put on by our friends and brothers. We eat and laugh together. When one of us, through no fault of his own, is in difficulties we come together and help. That doesn’t happen when all there is to it is a DVD.

That is the spirit of Freemasonry, and I am proud to be part of it.

Signature 

Posted: 06 May 2016 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2014-06-15

I will be attending a day and a half class next weekend.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 07 May 2016 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
Bro DHoward - 06 May 2016 07:24 PM

I will be attending a day and a half class next weekend.

Nice! Let me know how it goes, I’m curious :)

Signature 

Posted: 07 May 2016 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-04-06

My question was not answered but it did elicit some philosophical and emotional responses, some of which missed the mark completely but they did allow the Brothers to make statements. Irrelevant in some cases but still self satisfying none the less.

My question Focused on the degree work. Not the huggy, touchy, feely circumstances that can still be realized after the work was completed. Regardless of how one gets to the final result of having achieved all or the better part of 32 degrees, you are an accomplished huggy, touchy, feeley AASR Mason, able to laugh and dine with fellow AASR brothers and everyone can help one another in time of need.

My point is, That we were simply an audience and not active participants. We did not have any lines to repeat, we did not walk about, we were not assaulted, we were not in costume, we did nothing but watch and listen to a performance. Why couldn’t I have watched a tape or DVD at home or in Lodge?

In college, whether the Professor himself demonstrated the experiment in real time or presented the lesson with a film, we were given credit for experiencing the lesson being taught.

My analogy is showcased by the ability of making a Mason on sight. Danny Thomas did not have to prepare himself for questions and answers. Brother Thomas did not have to progress through three degrees, yet he is a Master Mason.

So!  Will the time come or is it already here somewhere, when a candidate can be anointed as a brother of the AASR, without having to have spent a weekend in a theater and a night in a motel?

My experience with KT and ROS was almost like being made a Knight on sight.

After all, we came close to having men become Shriners without having to have become Freemasons first and we did have a period when Grand Lodge advertised for candidates and skipped the time honored 2B1ask1. We also have Co-Freemasonry where the women call one another “Brother”. Google it.

What’s next?

Signature 

Royal Order of Scotland.
The Philalethes.
Masonic Lecturer.

Posted: 07 May 2016 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19

I have no experience in the SR degrees but sincerely I advocate for the live experience even if it is “just” watching. If you like analogy let’s make the music one, the experience you can get by watching a live concert is not something you get on a cd. And theatre is the same.

I am about the human contact and I personally don’t think that it can be replaced by any video or future technological innovation. I think all the digital stuff is an addition to the experience, not a replacement. If it is for watching, better watching live than in a tape.

Signature 

Posted: 07 May 2016 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-04-06

Sure it is nice to be there and see it live but let us not be selfish. What about other brothers who may not be like you and cannot afford the money or the time or are infirm or what-ever.

Sure, let’s forget about them.

How old are you? How is your health? Are you working steady? Do you have discretionary cash? Do you have the ability to drive 3 hours one way? $150 a night for a motel? Are you closer to 80 than to 70?

OH that stuff!? Oh, you mean not every Brother is not like me!? Oh I guess it slipped my mind that there are other stories out there.

Signature 

Royal Order of Scotland.
The Philalethes.
Masonic Lecturer.

Posted: 07 May 2016 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
underachiever - 07 May 2016 02:47 PM

Sure it is nice to be there and see it live but let us not be selfish. What about other brothers who may not be like you and cannot afford the money or the time or are infirm or what-ever.

Sure, let’s forget about them.

How old are you? How is your health? Are you working steady? Do you have discretionary cash? Do you have the ability to drive 3 hours one way? $150 a night for a motel? Are you closer to 80 than to 70?

OH that stuff!? Oh, you mean not every Brother is not like me!? Oh I guess it slipped my mind that there are other stories out there.

Sorry Brother but I simply don’t believe in something like “Join the SR, we will send you a videocassette and you’ll be a 32”

In my view a correspondence course is not the right way to go. But this is just my opinion and I’m sure there are many other Brothers here much more experienced than me that can explore this topic.

Signature 

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3827 seconds.