Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Have you ever had freemason with brain disorders or disease or handicaps?
Posted: 02 May 2016 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2015-08-13

Have you ever had freemason with brain disorders or disease or handicaps? What i mean by brain disorders : Trisomy 21, Autism, asperger. And by handicaps i mean freemasons with missing limbs?

It’s already been answered by somebody with a similar question but i had an experiance with a trisomy 21 patient and even if he has this brain disorder he looked like he would like to be part of something bigger.

Signature 

Philippe Heinisch Ducharme

More of my ideas and questions in my profile.

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 02 May 2016 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2319
Joined  2011-01-20

There is a brother I know who is the victim of Multiple Sclerosis. He is confined to a powered wheelchair. I was at his raising. Nice guy. I’m proud to call him my brother.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 03 May 2016 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2012-01-30

I’ve seen wheelchair bound, missing limbs, limited mobility and autistic.  I know of and have seen the Masonic ritual be “adjusted” to accommodate brethren who were unable for what ever reason to physically do things.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 03 May 2016 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2007-09-27

I believe I know of a couple of brothers who are “on the spectrum” so to speak.  Certainly it can be challenging especially if they are socially challenged, but they benefit from the friendship and brotherhood that is so often hard to find for such men, and the fraternity benefits by raising awareness in its members.

I also know several Masons who are missing limbs.  This seems to be more of a jurisdictional thing as times change.  Historically, there has always been a “landmark” of the fraternity stating that a man must be “whole”, but not every Grand Lodge recognizes all of these landmarks, and certainly in my jurisdiction, physical handicaps are not a concern for membership.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 03 May 2016 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2007-09-27

Phillippe, I’m guessing you are on the autism spectrum?

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 03 May 2016 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  361
Joined  2012-03-05

When it comes to mental disorders, provided that they have the mental capacity to understand their obligation (otherwise they can’t be bound by it), as long as they wouldn’t be a disruptive force in the lodge due to wild and unpredictable behavior it shouldn’t be an issue.

As for physical disabilities, it depends on the jurisdiction. In some Grand Lodges, there are rules prohibiting anyone with a physical deformity from joining. This is a holdover from the workers’ guilds that Freemasonry evolved from: if someone had a disability that interfered with their ability to perform the physical labor required of a stonemason, they couldn’t be admitted. Of course, now that Freemasonry is a fraternity and not a workers’ guild, such rules are archaic and pointless. But if a jurisdiction has such a rule on their books, it has to be changed before someone with a physical deformity can be admitted.

Fortunately, many jurisdictions have done away with such rules or never had them to begin with. In the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, as long as one’s disability does not prevent them from participating in the relevant degree ritual as a candidate, it’s not considered a problem. And whether or not it does prevent them from participating is left open to interpretation by the Master of the lodge, allowing for a lot of latitude.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 03 May 2016 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2014-06-15
DB32 - 03 May 2016 10:33 AM

...As for physical disabilities, it depends on the jurisdiction…

And most jurisdictions with this on their books have a clause for special dispensation that can be requested of and granted by the Grand Lodge.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 07 May 2016 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13
Dan Madore - 03 May 2016 07:18 AM

Phillippe, I’m guessing you are on the autism spectrum?

No but i work with these type of people at the hospital where i do volunteer work. But mostly Alzeimers.

Signature 

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 08 May 2016 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2015-09-29

Here’s an article from our Provincial website here in the UK that hopefully answers your question about physical disabilities

http://www.wigan.westlancsfreemasons.org.uk/post_detail/?post=14560

Signature 

Neil Higgins

Craft - Blackpool Lodge of Fellowship No 7692
Holy Royal Arch - Fellowship Chapter No 7692

Initiated: 11th January 2013
Passed   : 11th October 2013
Raised   : 14th November 2014

Posted: 08 May 2016 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13
Neil Higgins - 08 May 2016 02:16 AM

Here’s an article from our Provincial website here in the UK that hopefully answers your question about physical disabilities

http://www.wigan.westlancsfreemasons.org.uk/post_detail/?post=14560

Very interesting text! Thanks!

Signature 

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4524 seconds.