Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Freemasonry today
Posted: 24 April 2016 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2015-01-14

Today,when anyone does a research on the internet or in a library,it’s never quite difficult to find something relating to the teachings of masonry…from rituals to grips and words and all sorts of stuff, and honestly i find it to be an unfortunate fact how by the years all of the mentioned got exposed to public and non-masons in some sort of way…
This leading to unworthy people knowing quite a lot of things about our fraternity. Does anyone think there’s a suitable solution for this problem?

Signature 

Lodge El Mizab #1130
District Grand Lodge of Lebanon
Grand lodge of Scotland

Posted: 24 April 2016 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2012-09-18

Within three years of the forming of the first known Grand Lodge in England, there were expose’s printed.
Keep in mind that most of what you will find is considered “obsolete” and also that variations from one jurisdiction to another will also make the pieces published invalid.
Also consider that one can not learn Freemasonry by reading about it but only by going through it’s Degrees and lessons therein.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 24 April 2016 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2407
Joined  2011-01-20
High Cedars - 24 April 2016 05:19 AM

Today,when anyone does a research on the internet or in a library,it’s never quite difficult to find something relating to the teachings of masonry…from rituals to grips and words and all sorts of stuff, and honestly i find it to be an unfortunate fact how by the years all of the mentioned got exposed to public and non-masons in some sort of way…
This leading to unworthy people knowing quite a lot of things about our fraternity. Does anyone think there’s a suitable solution for this problem?

As you know, having been through the degrees, reading about them is like looking at a beautiful woman’s shadow. It looks attractive but is nothing compared to the real thing. We do not keep our secrets because there is harm in others knowing them. We keep our secrets because we took an oath to. It is symbolic of our ability to be true and trustworthy brothers who a friend may share his doubts and weaknesses with and not fear they will be told to others or used against him. I find it amusing when the conspiracy nuts use our words to prove they know all about us when that just proves they cannot be trusted.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 24 April 2016 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2014-03-28

No point in fretting over spilled milk. Besides, what’s the best way to hide a book? Put it on a random library shelf, among thousands of other books. There is so much incorrect info out there that finding the correct stuff is a matter of luck - very good luck.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979
WM Zetland Lodge No. 83 - 2017

Posted: 24 April 2016 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-01-14

Brother Lark, your answer was very satisfying:)

Signature 

Lodge El Mizab #1130
Grand lodge of Scotland

Posted: 24 April 2016 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-01-14

And actualy i haven’t been through all three degrees yet, my second degree is in one week and looking forward to the third with excitement. The reason i posted this precise topic is because of a discussion i had with young brothers like myself and there were different point of views, specialy that we’ve been in the craft for half a year now and we’re pretty much enjoying all kinds of readings. The discussion was led by ourselves insisting on our fraternity’s privacy:)...However what you say is true, the main purpose is the experience you go through which i think is fairly hard for a profane to easily understand

Signature 

Lodge El Mizab #1130
Grand lodge of Scotland

Posted: 25 April 2016 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2014-03-28

Have fun with those degrees, then. So much to be learned, so many memories. Wish I could do it all over again.

What city does your Lodge meet in?

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979
WM Zetland Lodge No. 83 - 2017

Posted: 25 April 2016 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-01-14

The lodge currently meets in Koura north lebanon, but our main lodge is in Mina Tripoli, it has been this way since 1914, however, lately the lodge decided to move to Koura temporarily due to security conditions in Mina…

Signature 

Lodge El Mizab #1130
Grand lodge of Scotland

Posted: 26 April 2016 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2015-10-21

Brother “High Cedars”,

First of all, I strongly ask you, please, do not read the online materials. Because they lack of credibility, and you are still in your first degree, still long time for you to be able to identify the real from the bad readings.

Second: why do you need to check the material online?
Remember the position of the S&C in your degree, the WM should be telling you that they are like this as you are learning.
What better material do you need other than what you receive from your Lodge after your degree?

Stick to what you receive officially from your lodge, take it easy, and remember that a very important lesson you take at the very beginning is being patient, keep calm/quiet, and learn!

May the GAOTU bless your work,
Good luck for your path Bro!

Signature 

Bro H,
Lebanon Lodge #10,
District Grand Lodge of Syria-Lebanon,
Grand Lodge of the State of New York

Cedars Chapter #335,
Grand Chapter State of New York, Royal Arch Mason
—-
“Don’t be just a Tourist, be a Traveler!”

Posted: 28 April 2016 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4099
Joined  2007-09-27

I have to agree that in general online materials about Masonry should be avoided (says the guy posting online about Masonry!).  It’s simply too difficult to assure you are getting good material.

Signature 

Dan

1st District Membership Chairman - Boston, MA
Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
The Lodge of the Royal Secret - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 01 May 2016 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-01-14

Thank you for the lovely advice Brothers, i will definitely stick to it. Peace be with you

Signature 

Lodge El Mizab #1130
Grand lodge of Scotland

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3567 seconds.