Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Children of Freemasons?
Posted: 18 April 2016 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2015-08-13

What do you do with your children who want to become masons but in their younger years had it ruff. Alcool,Drugs,Problem with the law, mental illness and other bad things. I am asking this because even if we/you are the best of Men/Fathers some kids just go against what their parents really want for them. Because of the conditions for becomming a freemason what do you do with the troubled ones that really want to become masons.

I am asking this question but my intention is not bad.
I guess many of you have children and grand childen that had or have these problems this is why i ask this question.

P.s. Since many of you might have this problem why not change the conditions to become a Freemason Member?

Signature 

Philippe Heinisch Ducharme

More of my ideas and questions in my profile.

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 18 April 2016 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2011-01-20
philippeheinischducharme - 18 April 2016 11:17 AM

What do you do with your children who want to become masons but in their younger years had it ruff. Alcool,Drugs,Problem with the law, mental illness and other bad things. I am asking this because even if we/you are the best of Men/Fathers some kids just go against what their parents really want for them. Because of the conditions for becomming a freemason what do you do with the troubled ones that really want to become masons.

I am asking this question but my intention is not bad.
I guess many of you have children this is why i ask this question.

P.s. Since many of you might have this problem why not change the conditions to become a Freemason Member?

We will sometimes overlook youthful indiscretions if the man applying has show a pattern of exemplary conduct in recent years. If they are currently not living a good life, they are unlikely to be accepted.

I can assure you that our time-honored criteria for admission will not change.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 April 2016 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13

Thanks for your answer! M. Ruggiero

Signature 

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 18 April 2016 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2014-03-28

The only perk the sons of Freemasons get is that - in some jurisdictions - they can join a year or two earlier. That’s it.

There are lots of unsuitable people who want to join the Craft, but the rules are the same for all.

Now if your question is how to Masonic fathers deal with children going off the rails, then I would suggest that that would be about the same as with non-Masonic fathers. With trepidation and prayer.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 19 April 2016 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13

Thanks for you answer M.Bob

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2016 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13

I am sorry…

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2016 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  503
Joined  2012-01-30

My first year as a Master Mason I went to my grand lodge’s annual communication (meeting).  The grand junior warden at the time stood up and talked about this very issue.  He has a son who according to him had done somethings not acceptable.  He went on to tell the brethren present as much as he loved his son, that he was not qualified to become a Mason.  That the qualifications and rules of our fraternity are in place for a reason.  It was a very moving speech. 

One of the masonic catch phrases is “making good men better”.  The key to this men have to be “good” from the start.  Masonry isn’t designed to make “bad” men “good”.  I’m using quotation marks as each individual Mason uses his understanding of these terms.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 19 April 2016 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2012-03-05

I would treat it like any other situation where someone I know is trying to join the lodge. The important question is: would you recommend him yourself?

If my son had run-ins with the law, but I was reasonably sure those days were behind him and he had since become a productive member of society, I would be willing to sponsor him. When I sign that application form and recommend him for membership, I’m putting my own reputation on the line. I wouldn’t be willing to do that if I wasn’t absolutely sure I could trust him, because if he ends up stealing from the lodge or committing a crime against society that reflects poorly on Freemasonry I will be partly responsible for that because that’s what it means to recommend someone for membership. And I would like to think my brethren respect me enough to know I wouldn’t just go ahead and recommend him simply because he’s my son and would only do it if I truly believed he was ready.

If I felt my son still had more work to do to get his life together and wasn’t ready to become a Freemason yet, I would tell him that. I’ve heard of this happening with other fathers and sons.

Signature 

Dave

Master-Elect, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3413 seconds.