1 of 2
3 , 33 or 360 Degree’s?
Posted: 18 January 2016 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2016-01-14

Good morning

I have just recently joined this forum and have made contact with UGLE (England/London)to register my interest in becoming a Freemason, I have heard back from them and currently looking into the next steps of their response.

Although hearing about Freemasonry the past 16 I have to admit I am really non the wiser as to exactly what Freemasonry is again although again I believe I have a little more insight into it the last month or so only!

So my question(s)to begin with is based upon that of my own confusion and lack of knowledge in certain specific area’s of Freemasonry.

I have sort of established that 360 Degree’s doe’s not exist! Correct! because I find a lot of conflicting teaching’s! For example scholar’s in KMTology (Very similar to Egyptology) believe the Masons of Ancient/Antiquity Egypt had a 360 Degree of knowledge! (Mind / Body / Soul) etc (Not that I know very much about that statement in itself if I am honest)

So….3 and 33 Degree’s I have read statements that 33 Degree’s also does not exist!Please see attached image (I know it is a typical Google search image but just to clarify is what I am looking at completely wrong in that account!)

If they both exist the why the separation in 3 and 33?

I did a little search of the site already but I am non the wiser in regards to 3 and 33 Degrees!

Thank you all so much in advance :).

Signature 

“The Power of the Knowledge and the Wisdom and the Overstanding”

—-Don’t try to think outside the box - Overstand that there is no box—-

Posted: 18 January 2016 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1019
Joined  2011-03-20

Hello Jay,

This is really just down to confusion in terminology. There are 3 Degrees in actual Freemasonry, then there are literally hundreds of Degrees in later bodies that built themselves based on Freemasonry.

If you are Initiated into a Lodge under the UGLE you will only ever witness the ceremonies of Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason worked within it. If you later decide to join the Royal Arch you will witness what is considered to be the “completion” of the MM Degree. You will then be able to join other organisations (known as Appendant Bodies) that offer further Degrees that sometimes offer an insight into the three degrees or others that go off into totally unrelated but interesting topics. In England the 33 Degree system is known as the Ancient and Accepted Rite and you must be a Christian and a Master Mason to join it.

There have been hundreds of degrees invented and even copycat bodies started since the Grand Lodge of England first hit the headlines in 1717 but the vast majority of them have fallen into disuse with time. However, they are of no relevance to you as the first qualification for joining any of the further Degrees is that you must first be a Master Mason.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 18 January 2016 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2014-03-28

Hi and thanks for asking.

Bro. Martin has covered it pretty well. The only thing I can add is that there were no Masons in ancient Egypt, with or without a system of 360 degrees.

While we are uncertain as to the precise details, Freemasonry as we know it almost certainly began in the 1600s in the UK. To be sure, there were masons (stoneworkers) in Egypt, but not Freemasons.

If you are initiated, focus on the imense amount there is to learn and enjoy in your Craft lodge before you get too concerned about the other opportunities under the Masonic umbrella.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979
WM Zetland Lodge No. 83 - 2017

Posted: 18 January 2016 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

In the US we call the body that confers the 4th through 32nd degrees “Scottish Rite”. The Scottish Rite degrees expand upon the three degrees of Freemasonry by presenting the lessons taught in different contexts. The degrees each have a name. For example, the eighteenth degree is, “Knight of the Eagle and Pelican”. The names, as you can see, are tongue twisters so we usually just use the numbers.

The first thing we learn in Scottish Rite is that there is no degree higher than Master Mason, the third degree.

We ask some of our members in lodge to lead for a time. The Grand Master is the man with the difficult job of leading the entire Jurisdiction (a state or country). The first time I met a past Grand Master I had no idea how to address him. When I asked he said, “You can pay me no higher complement then to call me ‘Brother’.” This is what we mean when we say that we meet on the level. We are equals and brothers.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 January 2016 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2011-11-10

.. and FWIW, the 18th degree of the Ancient & Accepted Rite here in England is called the “Knight of the Pelican and Eagle”.  The story, I suspect (although don’t know for sure) is the same as that in the US Scottish Rite; the difference is that here in England, you have to be a Trinitarian Christian to be able to join (as well as a Master Mason).

Signature 

Richard
UGLE: Craft (PAGDC), Royal Arch (PProvGTreas)
Additional Orders: Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS

Posted: 20 January 2016 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-01-14

Many thanks for the swift reply that was very useful informations :)

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2016 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

The Pelican and the eagle are both symbols associated with Christ.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 20 January 2016 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

The 18th degree is called the Rose Croix degree in the US Northern Masonic Jurisdiction of Scottish Rite.  We do become Knights of the Pelican and Eagle during it.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 20 January 2016 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Rose Croix is the term that’s normally used here in England for the order in general because the majority of the members are 18th; like John, the degree is called ‘Rose Croix’ and you become a Knight of the Pelican and Eagle.  Sounds confusing until you join!

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 20 January 2016 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-01-14

Thank you Brother John and Richard George that is great information -

Richard could you please expand upon the Pelican and Eagle and how it is associated in Christ! If possible and if it is not secret etc!

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2016 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Not really (no secret that is) - just do a Google search on ‘pelican’ or ‘eagle’ and ‘christian symbolism’ and see what comes up :)

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 20 January 2016 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20
tase - 20 January 2016 02:05 PM

Richard could you please expand upon the Pelican and Eagle and how it is associated in Christ! If possible and if it is not secret etc!

The funny thing that many non-Masons don’t realise is that much symbolism that Freemasons talk about is not actually Masonic but borrowed from elsewhere and used in its original context. Much as you’d expect in a Fraternity that grew up in a very Christian Britain and whose first members were the builders of churches and cathedrals.

This is true of the Pelican which has been used by Christianity since its beginnings as an emblem of sacrifice representing Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross at Golgotha.

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 20 January 2016 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-01-14

Actually I have ordered a book just over a week ago titled

“ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF FREEMASONRY” - Albert G Mackey and Charles T.McClenachan Vol I & Vol II Revised ed 1927

Can anyone tell me how credible this book is!

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2016 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20
tase - 20 January 2016 03:41 PM

“ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF FREEMASONRY” - Albert G Mackey and Charles T.McClenachan Vol I & Vol II Revised ed 1927

Not a good one I’m afraid, as the title suggests it is a reference book and if you’re not a Freemason it’s not going to make any real sense to you and you can’t really settle down to read it. It is also incredibly US centric and does not give any useful info about Freemasonry here in England.

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 20 January 2016 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20

Oops nothing to see here just a duplicate post.

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 20 January 2016 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4099
Joined  2007-09-27
Mike Martin - 20 January 2016 04:03 PM
tase - 20 January 2016 03:41 PM

Not a good one I’m afraid, as the title suggests it is a reference book and if you’re not a Freemason it’s not going to make any real sense to you and you can’t really settle down to read it. It is also incredibly US centric and does not give any useful info about Freemasonry here in England.

I agree.  Not a good intro book.  Save it for after you’re a member.

Signature 

Dan

1st District Membership Chairman - Boston, MA
Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
The Lodge of the Royal Secret - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4456 seconds.