Masonic Rings
Posted: 07 January 2016 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-10-20

Greetings Brethren,

Happy New Year to you all!

I am lucky enough to be in possession of 2 Masonic rings handed down to me via my grandfather and great grandfather.

I haven’t worn either of them very much but look forward to wearing them in the Lodge I have just affiliated with.

Does the GL of Massachusetts or any other GL have a “proper” way to wear a Masonic ring? Compass points up or Compass points down?  I haven’t found anything specific in my attempts to shed additional light on this subject.

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.  I’m interested in what everyone thinks.

Fraternally,

Bro. Andrew

Signature 

Wyoming Lodge A.F.& A.M. (Melrose, Ma)
Waltham Triad Lodge A.F.& A.M. (Newton, Ma)

Posted: 07 January 2016 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2015-11-30

It is permissible to wear a Masonic ring on either hand and on any finger, according to the Masonic Lodge of Education. Most married men wear their rings on the hand opposite from the one on which they wear their wedding rings. Some Masons choose to wear their rings on the third finger, while others wear it on their pinky finger.
In response to the question of whether to wear the ring with points of the compass pointing toward or away from the body, the Masonic World website emphasizes that, again, there are differing opinions among Masons. Some say that wearing the ring so that the points of the compass are toward the ground and away from the wearer’s eyes is symbolic of humanity’s aspirations toward God. Others prefer to wear the ring so that the points are facing the wearer as a reminder of the journey he is on, according to Masonic World.It also show’s that the wearer has been raised to the level of Master Mason.

Signature 

M.G. McDonald                                           Glenmora,Lodge#356
Entered Apprentice :4/14/15
Fellow Craft:8/15/15
Master M:12-15-15
Senior Deacon

Posted: 07 January 2016 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2014-06-15

In our jurisdiction, no mason may wear a ring or any other item with the S & C until they have reached the level of Master Mason. That is our only rule for that.

As Bro. McDonald stated, there are some differing opinions on how to wear a ring, and they are all just that… opinions. There really isn’t any wrong or right way to wear it.

However, a wonderful Masonic mentor (my grandfather) once told me that he suggested that I wear it so as to provide the most benefit. What he meant was if I was wearing it to a lodge function then no one there really cares about the ring in any other way than maybe they think it’s a nice ring. But to the wearer it holds more importance and serves to remind him of his obligations and to act on the level and by the square. So in this instance wear it so that the wearer can see it properly.

If wearing it outside of lodge in public then it is a way of being recognized as a mason so he said to wear it so that the person looking at it saw it properly (upside down to the wearer).

But again these are just suggestions based on an opinion. You wear it to please yourself.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 07 January 2016 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

This is one of the topics that probably should be in the same classification as politics and religion in lodge as it raises so much passion among those with strong opinions. I’ve heard at least three different explanations of how to wear a ring with several minor variations. One is that you should wear the ring with the points of the Compasses toward your wrist as that is how you saw it when you took your Master Mason obligation. You turn it around when, as Worshipful Master,  you deliver that obligation for the first time. You see the Square and Compasses that way at that time. This is one of the benefits of sitting in the Oriental Chair,  nobody can tell you how to wear your ring.

Another rule I’ve heard is to wear the ring points toward the wrist when you wish to remind yourself of your obligation and away when you wish to share light with others.

My favorite method is one my friend Ed uses. He takes his ring off at night and let’s the Grand Architect determine which way it goes on in the morning. Points toward him and he takes it as a sign that he should be looking for light. Points away and he should be sharing it.

My advice is to wear it with pride and honor to the Fraternity.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 08 January 2016 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2013-12-02

In my opinion, it not a matter of HOW you where it, its a matter of HOW you act when you wear it!

Always wear it with pride and remember , you represent the image of your lodge and the craft !

Signature 

Nour Al Ayyash

Lodge Trinity #1846 / WM
Lodge King Hiram #1351/ Secretary
(Under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge Of Scotland)

Lebanon
District Grand Treasurer

Trinity Chapter # 903 for Royal Arch Masons

32° AASR S.J .Valley Of Washington (DC)

March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection.
“Khalil Gibran”

Posted: 08 January 2016 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1019
Joined  2011-03-20

It Cannot be emphasised enough that when you decide to wear an emblem of the Craft outside of a Lodge you are acting as a defacto Representative or Ambassador of Freemasonry to every non-Mason that meets with you.

This is a heavy burden that not all Masons wish to take up! As if you behave in any way that contradicts the tenets of the Craft that you have been taught in the Lodge you are showing non-Masons a false face of Freemasonry as they will assume that all Masons act and believe as you do. This should always be remembered!

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 08 January 2016 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2087
Joined  2008-01-21

I cherish my Grandfather’s masonic ring. I am delighted to hear that you have an heirloom ring as well. My personal feeling is that the direction of the man is far more important than the direction of the ring.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 10 January 2016 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-10-20

Thank you all for your opinions, insights and anecdotes.

Your replies echo what I was able to find in my research on line.  I will cherish these two rings and always keep in mind both where they came from and what they convey.

I wish you all continued health and happiness.

Fraternally,

Bro. Andrew

Signature 

Wyoming Lodge A.F.& A.M. (Melrose, Ma)
Waltham Triad Lodge A.F.& A.M. (Newton, Ma)

Posted: 11 January 2016 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  377
Joined  2012-03-05

Since we’ve already established that there is no one “correct” way to wear it, I’ll just explain what I do and why:

I like to wear it with the points of the compasses pointing away from me, so it can be seen by everybody else. My reasoning is that I already know I’m a Mason, I don’t need to be reminded of that. I wear the ring because I want the rest of the world to know I’m a Mason, so I want it to appear upright to them.

Signature 

Dave

Worshipful Master, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 11 January 2016 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2013-04-04
DB32 - 11 January 2016 10:19 AM

Since we’ve already established that there is no one “correct” way to wear it, I’ll just explain what I do and why:

I like to wear it with the points of the compasses pointing away from me, so it can be seen by everybody else. My reasoning is that I already know I’m a Mason, I don’t need to be reminded of that. I wear the ring because I want the rest of the world to know I’m a Mason, so I want it to appear upright to them.

I wear my masonic ring the same way for the same reason.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Past Master (2017)
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Posted: 18 January 2016 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2015-10-21

Brethren,
I’m still in my 2nd degree;
but I think that, when you stand still and your hand is going down next to your body, the Square and Compass should look exactly as if it was on a building; which is: the points of the compass heading down.
So I think away of your body.
By the way, preparing for my 3rd, do you know of a good website that has a nice collection of rings to buy from?

Signature 

Bro H,
Lebanon Lodge #10,
District Grand Lodge of Syria-Lebanon,
Grand Lodge of the State of New York

Cedars Chapter #335,
Grand Chapter State of New York, Royal Arch Mason
—-
“Don’t be just a Tourist, be a Traveler!”

Posted: 18 January 2016 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2087
Joined  2008-01-21

There are plenty of used rings on ebay. I suggest that you hit up the pawn shops in your area, and check out the rings there too. You may wish to get an “everyday” ring.  I wear a stainless steel ring when I am deployed overseas. Check out “Gordon Spurlock”.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 24 March 2016 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-12-18

Thanks for sharing info. ...

Signature 

SEO USA
SEO Freelancer
Cataract Surgery Los Angeles
Lasik Beverly Hills
Lasik Los Angeles
Lasik Surgeon Los Angeles
Lasik Surgery Beverly Hills

Posted: 07 April 2016 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2012-03-28

I was given a S&C ring when I was Raised by the Senior Steward and it slipped off my finger a few weeks later walking down the street. Never found it! It wasn’t an expensive ring but it meant a lot to me and I really thought it was neat.

Signature 

EA: 6//14//12
FC: 2//28//13
MM: 3//28//13

Johnson City Unity Lodge #970 F&AM;
Upstate,NY

“Ad Astra Per Aspera”

Posted: 07 April 2016 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-04-06

I have seen several Masonic rings that are clandestine. The mundane decorative body, flips to expose the Square and Compass. A friend owns one in silver with an elephant on it. A theme that I have seen several times. I assume that they are a product of India.

rrc

Signature 

York Rite from Blue Lodge to KT with all stops between.
Scottish Rite to 32 degree.
Royal Order of Scotland.
Distinguished Service Award Apron.
York Rite Sovereign College of North America Gold Honor Award.
Internationally publish Masonic authority.
Transactions, American lodge of Research.
Prince Hall, The Phylaxis.
The Philalethes.
Masonic Lecturer.
Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3555 seconds.