Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Why The Great Architect of the Universe or G.A.O.T.U?
Posted: 12 December 2015 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2015-08-13

Why The Great Architect of the Universe or G.A.O.T.U?

I was wondering why you beleive in one Architect? because and i am not trying to go against everything you beleive in or frustrate you but i was with the same opinion of a great architect who made the universe but Lately i realised that all the inventions or scientific dévelopements are made by scientists so maybe the universe was made by Many Architects in sted of just one? Or maybe a group effort of a whole civilisation a very advanced one? Or maybe a group of civilisation made a group effort to build the universe…Look i know this is a never ending discussion. (what came first the egg or the chicken…) what i mean if there is one or many architects then who made them? another architect? If my thinking is right then who made the scientists that made the universe…?

P.s i did not want to offend you in any way just asking why your beliefs are in one Great Architect because there are scientists amoung you?

Signature 

Philippe Heinisch Ducharme

More of my ideas and questions in my profile.

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 12 December 2015 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1478
Joined  2010-11-01

The Great Architect created all and gave the scientists the knowledge of how to discover that which he has hidden. Just my belief.

Signature 

V:.W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Asst. Grand Lecturer Old 17th District
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR
St Georges Chapter #157 RAM
High Priest

St. George’s Council #74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Sr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S

Posted: 12 December 2015 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2407
Joined  2011-01-20

Religious Tolerance is one of the cornerstones of Freemasonry. Since we require a belief in the Supreme Being as a condition of membership but do not concern ourselves with the particular details of a man’s faith we use the term “Grand Architect of the Universe” to represent that Supreme Being when we pray together. The Muslim brother is praying to Allah, the Christian to Jesus and so on, each brother praying privately to the God of his faith while we all pray together.

We are not a religion and don’t pretend to be. We are, however, religious men. We use the term we can all agree on for the Supreme Being so that all may pray in the lodge together.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 13 December 2015 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2015-11-25

(I am not a Mason)

Brother John’s description fit my understanding. The G.A.O.T.U. seems to be a general and non offensive, non specific term. Who was the architect that designed and built the universe? I only understand that to be God. And that is all that the Freemason’s require of their members.

I know God to mean one thing to me. That may mean something different to another person of a different faith. But if you believe in a Supreme Being or architect that designed and built everything then you have a standard of moral compass to hold your own actions accountable to. You can have morals without religion. But religion requires a standard base to compare your moral compass to that insures weather or not you are still on course with your decisions. Because I am accountable to God, then I cannot adjust the standard of right and wrong as my mood or desires change.

If the Freemasons desire that all their members be devout, then how can you bring different faiths to work together peacefully? You’ll need to use some common terms everyone can agree on. G.A.O.T.U. describes all the reverence that the one Supreme Being deserves but doesn’t exclude anyone’s varied faiths.

(I do not speak for the Freemasons, I am only working things out in my own understanding. I offer this explanation so those qualified Masons can see my thought process)

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 13 December 2015 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2012-09-18

^^^^^^^^^^^
Your explanation is satisfactory.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 13 December 2015 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2015-11-09

I am not(yet) a mason, but, as to why there is a single, and not multiple, depiction, likely comes from the fact that the vast majority of religions are monotheistic-particularly the mainstream ones. Even with many of the polytheistic religions, the world WAS created by a single person-but, Gods in those religions represent different aspects of nature.
So, as to why there is just one, as opposed to many? Common practice is my guess :)

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

Posted: 13 December 2015 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

I think that line of thought also leans towards the concept that we and all we know could be created by aliens.

Polytheists and pagans could believe in multiple gods. But would still need to believe in one supreme being that created those gods. It is my understanding that this could qualify under Masonic standards.

But to believe in forms of nature, or aliens, or evolution alone removes the Grand Architect from the core of the requirement.

I also would assume that Satan worshipers couldn’t meet the entrance requirement. As far as I know Satan worshipers don’t believe that Satan created the universe but that he plans to over take what was already created. (there is a difference in Satanists and Satan worshipers)

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 13 December 2015 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20

Our rules come from various sources. There are some rules we can never change or ignore.  These we call our Ancient Landmarks.  The Ancient Landmarks are the standard by which one Grand Lodge will determine if another is “Regular” or real masons. They make us what we are. One of the Ancient Landmarks requires a belief in a Supreme Being. That is why monotheistic religions are acceptable.

The other requirements of membership are also specified in the Ancient Landmarks. That is why we accept only men who are of good character without mercenary motives and require sponsorship.

These rules are the reason my brothers from any regular lodge in the world are welcome to sit with me in mine and I in theirs.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 14 December 2015 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-01-30

For a thing to function (normally) there must be order.  Companies have a leadership structure of some sort to ensure the company functions.  Society has leaders, military groups, etc.  The concept of a thing directing the overall actives, even in a vague sense, fits within the framework of what we can observe in our lives.  Even packs of animals have a alpha. 

Going from all of this it would make sense that there is something managing the vast creation we see before us.  The explanation of the term is described above.  Could there be a vast number of beings responsible for this order, sure.  But if this is true I still believe there will be a individual of this group who is the director.

Now I don’t believe in a structure as I’ve described in this post.  I believe, as a Christian, there is one everlasting and unchanging God.  I also think Freemasonry requires a belief in one everlasting and unchanging God, but this does not have to the same or type of God I believe in.

The above is only my opinion and not really worth much else.

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 15 December 2015 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13

Thanks everybody for your Answers up to date.

I wanted to add that we as humans are able to make islands (like in dubai) we have inventions that try to come close to the sun… but for right now we can no comprehend how all the universe was created being that we can only make islands by moving land from one place to another and things that mimique the sun.

But the universe was made out of nothing i think or imagine how big would be the Tools to make planets and suns…we as humankind can’t make one planet yet or one sun but one day we might be able…maybe in a million years or more…we might even in billions of years create another universe from scratch if we can create a new space for it…we would then be called gods or great architects if the living beings in our new universe call us this way after passing through evolution like us…

I do beleive in higher power but i think what we as humans think or beleive in things that came to be in the last few thousands of years… some religions or fraternity’s have a very good way of doing things and might work for thousands of years to come…but i think our way of thinking will change with the millions of years to come…

Au Plaisir,

Signature 

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 15 December 2015 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

It sounds like you are talking about aliens again. If that is what you want to believe, no one here should knock you for it. But I don’t think it meets the qualifications to become a Mason.

philippeheinischducharme - 12 December 2015 12:47 PM

P.s i did not want to offend you in any way just asking why your beliefs are in one Great Architect because there are scientists amoung you?

Historically and even today many of the greatest scientists also believed in God.

My friend smashed his finger. He was showing us the finger, the nail was all black and going to fall off. He said “the greatest doctors in the world cant even fix my a fingernail. But the body was designed as a living miracle that will heal itself and they cant even fix a fingernail.”

That friend told the story of a scientist that was so confident he challenged God to see who could make the better man. God accepted the challenge and the contest began. God reached down, scooped a hand full of dirt and he began to press it and shape it into a man. The scientist reached down and scooped a hand full of dirt. And God said “you get your own dirt”. The moral of the story is, they think they are so smart. And they cant even make dirt.

I believe in a God that made me, you, dirt and everything in existence out of nothing.

There are probably better places to debate the philosophy of how everything was created?

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 16 December 2015 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13
Brother Joseph - 15 December 2015 04:36 PM

It sounds like you are talking about aliens again. If that is what you want to believe, no one here should knock you for it. But I don’t think it meets the qualifications to become a Mason.

philippeheinischducharme - 12 December 2015 12:47 PM

Historically and even today many of the greatest scientists also believed in God.

My friend smashed his finger. He was showing us the finger, the nail was all black and going to fall off. He said “the greatest doctors in the world cant even fix my a fingernail. But the body was designed as a living miracle that will heal itself and they cant even fix a fingernail.”

That friend told the story of a scientist that was so confident he challenged God to see who could make the better man. God accepted the challenge and the contest began. God reached down, scooped a hand full of dirt and he began to press it and shape it into a man. The scientist reached down and scooped a hand full of dirt. And God said “you get your own dirt”. The moral of the story is, they think they are so smart. And they cant even make dirt.

I believe in a God that made me, you, dirt and everything in existence out of nothing.

There are probably better places to debate the philosophy of how everything was created?

M.Joseph you are right on many things you say but i was not trying to start a philosophical topic and i do beleive in a god or architect i was using higher power because i am part of a fraternity that uses this term so nobody feels aside whatever their belief. The true question is why Masons beleive in one Great Architect i did a little input of my own ideas but i have to say that i was born a Catholic and my points of views changed with the years.

But thanks m.Joseph for your opinion

Signature 

Posted: 16 December 2015 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

OK no harm done. I am not in charge of anything here. Like you I am not a Mason.

It did seem like you were trying to point to potential errors in the belief.

My remark was only to point out that these Masons have a desire to help people who want to become Masons to find our way.

I do enjoy philosophical and intriguing debates. I just don’t think these Masons are browsing the forums here for that.

I’ve heard the term “higher power” from co workers. If that isn’t God. If it isn’t a single supreme being, what is it? When they say it, it sounds like a cop out so at that point I drop the discussion and I don’t bother em anymore.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 16 December 2015 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20

I think you may be making more out of this concept than we do :)

We Masons gather as friends and brothers. Generally, the topics we discuss most after meetings of my lodge are sports, cigars and fine scotch. In fact we cannot discuss politics or religion in lodge. We are asked about our faith during the application process but it took me about five years to find out which particular denomination my mentor belongs to. He knew mine only because he was on my investigation committee. It simply doesn’t matter. If you made it through the process of becoming a Mason I know you to be a good man of faith and that’s all I need to know.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 18 December 2015 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2014-03-28

M. Ducharme,

If you question is why an architect, consider that Freemasonry’s roots lie in a construction trade, stonemasonry.

As a Christian, you do not always pray to Jesus (as that Being is properly named), but might frequently refer to Him or address Him as ‘Saviour’, ‘Lamb of God’ or ‘Redeemer’. The Bible refers to Jehovah as ‘King of Kings’.  Those are titles, not names, albeit ones said with respect and reverence and clearly identfying Jesus and Jehovah.

Masons, having men of many faiths in their membership, use the title ‘Great Architct of the Universe’. It is non-denominatinal, allowing each Mason to as he says it pray to the Deity of his own faith and expresses both respect for Him and a link to our stone-working predecessors. It s not the name of the Almighty (another title); it is but a way to refer to Him.

Hope that helps.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979
WM Zetland Lodge No. 83 - 2017

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4494 seconds.