Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

3 of 3
6 months?! A little bummed.
Posted: 23 December 2015 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

Many (not all) lodges have open installations. My home lodge has had them for many years. I am delighted that you enjoyed the ceremony.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 27 January 2016 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2015-11-25

(((UPDATE))) because some have followed along and it is polite just to let you know.

This coming Monday will be my 3rd pre-lodge dinner and I am almost at the 2 month mark.

This week I received an information packet in the mail and a welcome letter from the new Secretary that was installed at the Installation I mentioned. The letter was to inform me I have been added to the email lists for events and the mailing list for monthly Trestle Board and other info. It was explained all the types of events I can attend and encouraged to do so. There was a reminder that the lodge requires a 6 month waiting period, BUT I was also given the names of 3 lodge brothers who can vouch for me when the time comes.

For anyone interested the three men listed are the 86 year old PM I have mentioned several times. His son in law, and the previous Secretary (who BTW is the new Secretary’s grandfather).

We live in the Denver Metro area. As you know the Broncos are going to the Superbowl and the lodge is hosting a Superbowl party. Personally I really don’t have a lot of interest in football, but I talked to my wife and we will likely attend the party for the sake of making time to get to know lodge members and their families better.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 27 January 2016 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2015-11-09

Congrats!!! My time from petition, to balloting, was a couple months. During that time, I read a lot about Freemasonry. I purchased the “Freemasons for Dummies” by Brother Chris Hodapp, and that explained quite a bit. I went into it sort of blind-I have a few close friends that are Brethren, but never really discussed it with them. I was simply, at 45 years old, looking for a better path for myself, and found myself steered towards Masonry.
I can understand a waiting period, if you dont have anyone to vouch for you. I honestly dont know how they do it in MA, but, as I have several friends that are Masons, one being a past master, one having just been appointed Senior Deacon, as well as several coworkers who used to be members of the lodge I petitioned, mine seemed to have gone a little faster. That being said, I did attend a couple meals, and was invited twice to an informal meeting with several Brothers prior to my investigation, as they knew people I knew, and wanted to give me the once over.
However, once balloting started, it went quick. I received my EA degree just over 2 weeks ago. I will be going for my FC in about 2 weeks. I have had the opportunity, already, to offer my assistance with the lodge. I have already made several new friends among my Brothers. My mentor has GREATLY assisted me in my journey. I had the opportunity to witness an EA degree this past weekend, and, when you have earned yours, if the opportunity presents itself, attend a lodge doing an EA degree after you receive yours, while it is still fresh in your mind. Our lodge ritualist went with me, and I was given lots of explanations on the entire ceremony.
Lastly, as someone who is merely a single step ahead of you: welcome, and enjoy the journey. My eyes opened to it, and that, it isnt the accomplishments we look towards, but rather the journey we take to get there.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

Posted: 27 January 2016 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4046
Joined  2007-09-27

We’d appreciate it if you Denver people wouldn’t use the B word here on this site!  ;)

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 27 January 2016 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

Thanks and Congratulations.

As for that word….  it’ll all be over soon. All will be forgotten, all forgiven (mostly) a new season will be on with a fresh round of trash talk from those who are passionate. And I’ll be quietly over here studying for my degrees and trying to find ways to understand more.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 10 March 2016 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

(((UPDATE)))

The past month’s dinner / meeting was canceled due to severe snow. I showed up and there was a sign on the door. I’d like to point out that in spite of what some people will tell you, it appears that Masons in fact do not control the weather. ;)

I did however make it to the Super Bowl party. But there were very few people there. Since we are in Denver, I guess there were likely bigger private and family parties all over town.

March is here, I am at the 3 month mark and did get to attend another dinner. There was also an open meeting welcoming the new Grand Lodge Master for the year. 4 lodges total as well as the Grand Lodge Officers.

3 months to go. It was suggested that next month (APR) I should gather signatures for my petition.Then submit it the following month (First meeting in May). It can be brought up in the second meeting of May. Moving to the investigation team after that. I’ll make the 6 month mark just as the June meeting takes place. Then the lodge goes dark for summer. If I am accepted I can use the dark months to work on EA.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 10 March 2016 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Excellent!  Sounds like things are progressing well!

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 05 April 2016 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

(((UPDATE)))

4 months in now. Still 2 months to go.

Based on a lodge member’s recommendation, I have asked and received 2 signatures on my petition. (past years WM and current JW). Next month (5 months) I will give it to the secretary with my application fees. 2 weeks later it can be heard on the floor. This gives time for a background check (we hope) then my petition can be voted on in June (barely making the 6 month mark). If accepted I can work on EA memorization while the lodge is dark for summer.

If I dont go about it this way, 6 months becomes 9 months and so on, because the lodge is going dark. Next thing you know it’ll be Christmas again.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 07 April 2016 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2012-03-28

Lol grueling isn’t it?

Signature 

EA: 6//14//12
FC: 2//28//13
MM: 3//28//13

Johnson City Unity Lodge #970 F&AM;
Upstate,NY

“Ad Astra Per Aspera”

Posted: 03 May 2016 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

(((UPDATE)))

Petitioned- 05-02-16.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 21 June 2016 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

(((FINAL UPDATE)))

For anyone who has been following along or any future readers that come looking for info.

I was initiated lat night.

I feel like six months was more than ample time. The problem was, there were not enough open events for me to attend to be better known sooner.

I won’t try to recommend that this should be changed. I’m still sure it exists for good reason. But I can easily see how an potential candidate could loose interest just hanging out and pre lodge dinners for this long.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 21 June 2016 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2013-12-02

Congrats and welcome to the fraternity brother. As you will know through your journey, a lodge gets very busy and sometimes there is a lot of business to be done, and in my personal opinion, if a candidate loses interest in joining because of waiting, then maybe he is not fit to join. Patience is a vertue my brother!!
Good luck in you journey

Signature 

Nour Al Ayyash

Lodge Trinity #1846 / Founding Member / J.W
Lodge King Hiram #1351/ Secretary
(Under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge Of Scotland)

Lebanon
District Grand Director Of Music

Tripoly Chapter # 773 for the Holy Royal Arch

32° AASR S.J .Valley Of Washington (DC)

March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection.
“Khalil Gibran”

Posted: 21 June 2016 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Congratulations and welcome to the fraternity!!!

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 13 June 2017 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

(((UPDATE))) For anyone who has kept up.

I was raised to FC and in 1 year from initiation I have been raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason.

Good luck to others who are beginning your journey.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

3 of 3

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5630 seconds.