Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 3
6 months?! A little bummed.
Posted: 09 December 2015 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2015-11-27

Since I am not yet a Mason, I will just comment on what you’ve gone thru so far at the beginning.  I think it just varies from one lodge to another.  I have only visited my local lodge twice, and it’s gone pretty well.  I too did not know anyone there, I just showed up and introduced myself.  But I’ve already been put to labor from day one working in the kitchen area and the second time afterwards I was told that when I feel comfortable, I can submit a petition at any time….and that 2 MM’s offered to sign it.  It would then be brought up in the next business meeting.  But of course there’s the investigative part after that and there is no telling how much time will go by before it comes to a ballot.  I will just continue to make as many meetings as I can and hope for the best.

On a side note, I share you passion…as well as the having patience part.  I want to get started so much that I’m finding out that I need to make myself forget about it to keep from trying to learn too much right off the bat.  I do want to enjoy the experience as it unfolds and not know everything before it happens…. assuming of course I do become initiated.

Best of luck to you sir….maybe the light is just taking its sweet time coming up over the horizon for ya!

Signature 

Bro. Christopher Martone

Ashlar 98 F&AM;
In beautiful Saint Augustine, FL

Petitioned 12.28.15
Balloted 2.18.16
Initiated 4.28.16

Life is a lesson….you’ll learn it when your through.

Posted: 09 December 2015 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2014-06-15

The other posters are correct in that 6 months is not unreasonable for a couple of men to take the time to get to know you well enough to put their reputation on the line recommending you for membership. But it may not take that long if they are able to spend quality time with you before the 6 month deadline (unless that is a regulation).

I would suggest that you keep in touch with them. If they have any public event or event outside of the actual lodge meeting then try to attend (lodge clean up, fundraisers, etc…), and of course keep going to the pre-meeting refreshments to meet more of them and show your interest.

The other option you have is to realize that there is a Mason that you actually know and have him/them vouch for you.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 10 December 2015 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2015-11-25

I will and thank again.

I do realize there is a chance but very unlikely I may run into some one there from work.

As I said in the first post. What choice do I have? Either do it, or give up. :)

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 10 December 2015 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2015-09-11

After waiting 42 years to approach a lodge, I too had a 6 month wait to join. I wasn’t even in my country of origin. I wouldn’t be honest if I said I wasn’t a tad disappointed, but honestly, 6 months is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things, and if you really want to join, it will make it that much sweeter when you achieve the goal. Having only been raised to Master Mason for a few months I can tell you I am so happy and proud that I finally followed through and took the path that I did.

Signature 

Ken Byrd

Petitioned 10/15/2013
Initiated 4/15/2014
Passed 3/17/2015
Raised 9/15/2015

Socrates Lodge #373
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

Posted: 10 December 2015 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

I have to wait and I will.

My only rebuttal to the comments of how it is only a little time, is pointing towards the Benjamin Franklin character in the askafreemason youtube videos. In the video; A Timely Chat With a New Freemason- the actor says “Time always is quickly passing. Indeed my time has passed. But your time IS. So be ashamed to catch yourself idle! When there is so much to be done. Live with purpose for time IS to prepare for greatness.”

We live in the now. Not in the past, not in the future. I know once it is done and I am well on the way it’ll be fine. When THEN becomes NOW.

At 40 years old with 2 kids grown to adults and the other 2 almost adults, I know I have passed a lot of my time already.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 10 December 2015 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2015-12-01

What state are you in Brother Joseph?

Signature 

Randy L. Angel
Phoenix Lodge #38 F&AM;
Natchitoches, LA

EA: 7 Dec 2015
FC:18 Jan 2016
MM:15 Feb 2016

Posted: 10 December 2015 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

Colorado.

I see you are in Nachitoches. I moved here from Vidalia, LA almost 4 years ago. I was born in Natchez, MS and spent 35 years in MS / LA before moving here.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 10 December 2015 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2015-12-01
Brother Joseph - 10 December 2015 11:02 AM

Colorado.

I see you are in Nachitoches. I moved here from Vidalia, LA almost 4 years ago. I was born in Natchez, MS and spent 35 years in MS / LA before moving here.

I’ve been in Louisiana for six months. I’m in the military so move around a little. I truly think you’ll get the signatures quicker than six months. I feel like some brothers say that sometimes to see if a man is committed. It’s really worth the wait though, I can promise you that!

Signature 

Randy L. Angel
Phoenix Lodge #38 F&AM;
Natchitoches, LA

EA: 7 Dec 2015
FC:18 Jan 2016
MM:15 Feb 2016

Posted: 10 December 2015 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

Thanks for the advice and thanks for your service. I was US Army 2 years. 4th Infantry Division.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 10 December 2015 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4039
Joined  2007-09-27
Brother Joseph - 10 December 2015 10:50 AM

My only rebuttal to the comments of how it is only a little time, is pointing towards the Benjamin Franklin character in the askafreemason youtube videos. In the video; A Timely Chat With a New Freemason- the actor says “Time always is quickly passing. Indeed my time has passed. But your time IS. So be ashamed to catch yourself idle! When there is so much to be done. Live with purpose for time IS to prepare for greatness.”

We live in the now. Not in the past, not in the future. I know once it is done and I am well on the way it’ll be fine. When THEN becomes NOW.

At 40 years old with 2 kids grown to adults and the other 2 almost adults, I know I have passed a lot of my time already.

I see no incongruity with Franklin’s statements and the process of joining.  Time IS quickly passing, his time HAS passed, and your time IS.  However…..as you are approaching a lodge at the moment, you are not idle.  Joining is a process, not an on off switch.  You are joining a fraternity, not buying a book.  It isn’t instantly yours.  Your journey into Masonry starts with a hello and a handshake, moves to acquaintance, blossoms into friendship, and matures at brotherhood.  This is how we form bonds.  Not with a certificate or a dues card.  If you were to receive either of the later without having thoroughly progressed through the former, you would not have put in place the foundation on which you intend to build.

So again….patience.  You ARE taking action and are not idle.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 11 December 2015 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

Time is precious, and I completely understand your frustration.  It was about 2 months between my initial application, and when I was informed that I was approved.  About a month after I was informed, I actually attended the lodge for the 1st degree of Freemasonry.

I can promise you it will be worth the wait. Freemasonry is a life-changing process, and caution is well-advised.

In the meantime, you are certainly free to meet with the brothers informally.  You may attend the Saturday morning breakfast meeting, if there is one.

Keep your eyes on the prize. You will not be disappointed.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 22 December 2015 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

(((UPDATE)))

It’s been 2 weeks, another pre-meeting dinner. I was able to register via email on my own this time. When I walked in my name was on the registration list and the gentleman who was taking the registration donations recognized me and recalled my name. He covered my meal last time since I was a new guy just walking in the door. The meal was $10 so I gave him a twenty and asked if I could “pay it forward” and leave $10 for the next time someone like me shows up. There were lots of people there this time, wives, teens and several men in my age bracket and at least a few even younger than me. (40 YO)

After the meal, I went up to the main hall. I wanted to give the Secretary my new address information before they started lodge and I was going to go home. As it turns out, it was also Stated Communication, Installation, Widows Recognition, Memorial Ceremony, and Annual Awards. So it was kind of open house which is why all those additional people were at the dinner. I was invited to stay and watch those activities but they had to have a brief closed Lodge before that. (Good thing I went upstairs!) There was also one other candidate there who was waiting to attend the same activities as well as one Fellow Craft Mason (their fellow, not mine yet) Who had his apron on but could not go into this closed lodge as he had not completed MM yet.

The 86 YO Past Master I spoke of in the original post came and found me sitting in the audience and asked me to come sit with him and his family. That felt great. He knew I was there and came and found me and called me out. Moving from the West end to the East end we passed the Jr Warden’s position and he told us to “find a seat”. My host answered “We’re workin on it”. I didn’t say anything just smiled and followed the old man. He wanted me to sit with him so I could ask him questions about anything as it happened. Which on occasion I did ask and on occasion he offered comments without me asking.

I know these ceremonies used to be closed in the past, open to MMs only. I was honored to be allowed to see SOMETHING at this point. It was good have some sort of an inside look at some of the activities. To give me some point of concept as to what the Freemasons do, what they are about, how they conduct their ceremonies. As I said before I like this older gentleman and I also feel like it was an honor to be able to sit with him by invitation and talk with him about what I saw. I also know this may have been my only opportunity to sit in before my petition is reviewed so I am SO GLAD I stumbled upon it.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 22 December 2015 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4039
Joined  2007-09-27

Pretty cool!  Installations are often public ceremonies, and are a great opportunity for non-Masons to learn about us, specifically what the duties of all of the officers in a lodge are.  To that end, it is a good window into how lodges work and what they do.

Glad you had a good experience.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 22 December 2015 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2329
Joined  2011-01-20

That sounds like a wonderful bit of luck for you. I’m sure it was all a blur and you might not have gotten all that was said and done. It’s good to have a knowledgeable brother to help you out. I wouldn’t be surprised if that brother offered to be your mentor when you are accepted by the lodge.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 22 December 2015 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2015-11-30

Bro Joseph,that meeting sounds like a very positive event,and a step in the right direction for you.Being embraced by a past master,is a good deal for you,he won’t forget,and he must have seen something in you,ad that is great.Let’s hope 2016 is your year.

Signature 

M.G. McDonald                                           Glenmora,Lodge#356
Entered Apprentice :4/14/15
Fellow Craft:8/15/15
Master M:12-15-15
Senior Deacon

2 of 3

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4427 seconds.