Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Conflict of interest.
Posted: 07 December 2015 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-12-03

Hi all. Firstly, I would like to thank all of those who have worked hard on building such an informative freemasonry forum. I have posted the title of my post as a ‘conflict of interest’ because of some questions I have been wondering about lately.  Before outlining my questions, I will outline a scenario below, only for clarification purposes, that will lead to my questions:

Scenario: A Freemason man, who is an executive director of a well known company, encounters a situation where 2 candidates have applied for a significant job in his company. One is a less qualified candidate but a Freemason in the same lodge as the director (meaning that they know each other) and the second candidate is higly qualified and is Not a Freemason. If the director selects the qualified non-mason candidate for the job, would the director be expelled from his lodge because of not choosing his Freemason brother? Where does the ‘loyalty’ aspect, that a Freemason commits to his lodge and brothers, stands in such scenario?

Thanks

Doraid Amanoel

Posted: 07 December 2015 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2015-11-30

My answer is no he wouldn’t would chose who’s best and most qualified for the position.Outside of the lodge,then you carry on like a person in your position.He wouldn’t face any repercussion on his decision.

Signature 

M.G. McDonald                                           Glenmora,Lodge#356
Entered Apprentice :4/14/15
Fellow Craft:8/15/15
Master M:12-15-15
Senior Deacon

Posted: 07 December 2015 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  370
Joined  2014-03-28

I would, in such a case, consider giving the nod to a fellow Mason only if they were otherwise equally-qualified. There’s a difference between that and clear-cut nepotism. In the circumstances you describe, I would be shocked if there were any repercussions. Were I boss of the firm (and a Mason), anyone making such a choice would not be a happy camper.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 07 December 2015 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2299
Joined  2011-01-20

I have been in exactly that situation and did not get the job. The brother hired the better candidate for the job. We are still friends and brothers. He made the difficult decision to do what was best for his company and that was the right thing to do.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 07 December 2015 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2014-06-15

I agree with those who have already posted. We are actually taught (at least where I am a member) that freemasonry is not about obtaining favors. We do look out for each other in time of need but not at the expense of another.

And no, you can not be expelled for a personal or professional choice as long as it does not conflict with any of the Grand Lodge and local lodge’s rules and regulations and also not against legal authority.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 08 December 2015 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2013-12-02

A mason is an upright person, and he MUST do the right thing. I would choose the best qualified person for the job. If both had equal qualifications, then i would recommend my brother.
As simple as it goes, and i trust that the lodge will understand that i did the right thing.

Signature 

Nour Al Ayyash

Lodge Trinity #1846 / Founding Member / J.W
Lodge King Hiram #1351/ Treasurer
(Under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge Of Scotland)

District Grand Director Of Music

Tripoly Chapter # 773 for the Holy Royal Arch

32° AASR S.J .Valley Of Washington

March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection.
“Khalil Gibran”

Posted: 08 December 2015 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2011-03-20

It is made quite clear to the newly Initiated Mason that Freemasonry is not a means to make money or get a better job and in fact the Candidate is quizzed about “mercenary” motives for joining, as such every Freemason knows that a true brother would not do what you have described.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 09 December 2015 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-12-03

Thanks everyone for your kind clarification. All the best.
Doraid

Posted: 04 February 2016 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2016-01-25

Favoritism is frowned upon. I personally would choose whoever is more qualified, Mason or not.

Signature 

Bro Aaron Mark

Master Mason Green Grove Lodge #107 Conway, AR

32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason (Scottish Rite Valley) Little Rock, AR

Posted: 24 February 2016 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2016-02-10

hmmm, the situation is quite challenging. But here are my personal thoughts based on experience. It is only but right to hire the more qualified person (mason or not). But each case is valid in its own context, depending on the sensitivity of the post and if the position requires a lot of confidentiality and working closely on matters of significant importance, I will have to choose the brother. Not because I see him as favored, but I do know that among brothers there is no contention, but rather emulation of who can best work and best agree.

I made that choice in my career, and I am glad to say that even after 8 years, I have yet to have any problems arising from that. Right now, there are two Demolays in my staff. Both are good and hardworking. Almost everyday in a week is a happy day (save that of crunch times), but I leave it to the best judgement of the Brother when making such decisions.

Signature 

Bro. Paul Bilaoen
Nilad Lodge #12 Grand Lodge of the Philippines
Companion, Pilipinas Chapter #24 R.A.M
Companion, PilipinasCouncil #11 R.S.M
Knight Templar, Pilipinas Commandery #11 KT

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4393 seconds.