Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Can we wear freemason apparel like t-shirts even if we are not a mason. To support masonery?
Posted: 27 November 2015 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2015-08-13

There are so many freemason apparel out there like t-shirt available to all the population. Is it ok to buy and wear such apparal if you are not a freemason to support your cause?

Signature 

Philippe Heinisch Ducharme

More of my ideas and questions in my profile.

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 27 November 2015 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

There is no copyright on the Square and Compasses. There are some states in the US that have laws against non-masons displaying the symbols of the Fraternity but they are hardly ever enforced. The real issue for non-masons wearing those symbols is the interpretation by Masons. If you wear the usual symbol on a t-shirt,  I will probably come up to you and ask you a rather weird question.  Since you couldn’t answer correctly, I will consider you a “cowen” or faker. We would not be friends after that. In fact, I would probably go out of my way to avoid further contact with you.

Show your support by being a good man and leave the symbols to those who have earned the privilege of wearing them.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 27 November 2015 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13
Brother John - 27 November 2015 01:30 PM

There is no copyright on the Square and Compasses. There are some states in the US that have laws against non-masons displaying the symbols of the Fraternity but they are hardly ever enforced. The real issue for non-masons wearing those symbols is the interpretation by Masons. If you wear the usual symbol on a t-shirt,  I will probably come up to you and ask you a rather weird question.  Since you couldn’t answer correctly, I will consider you a “cowen” or faker. We would not be friends after that. In fact, I would probably go out of my way to avoid further contact with you.

Show your support by being a good man and leave the symbols to those who have earned the privilege of wearing them.

Thanks again for your answer M. John! I would personnally not do that but i was wondering. But M.John i thought it would be kind of a flattery to see that people would wear your stuff. But i can understand i used to have a clothing company and when i saw people i didn’t know wearing my stuff it felt kind of weird i was happy though. I also want to say that i surfed the web lately and noticed that other fraternity’s where trying to sell there symbols to non members to show your loyalty and i was personnaly against that because i think you better be a member of any givin fraternity before wearing official apparel.

Signature 

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 27 November 2015 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2014-06-15

One of the biggest problems is that by wearing it, non-masons around you may assume that you are a mason. Then what if the person wearing it does things that are un-masonic like? It could change the perspective others have about Masonry for the negative even though a Mason had nothing to do with it.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 28 November 2015 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-08-13

I know there are so many people that would like to wear such things like official clothing of freemassonnery(people who would like to support the cause and many followers). I am not saying this to tell you what to do, But wouldn’t it help finance the lodges that are getting with an older population and not alot of newcommers.  I know you all will find a way to fix this problem but i was just sharing this because i am in a fraternity and alot of places close because of lack of people and lack of contributions. And i personnally don’t like that.

Au Plaisir!

Signature 

Posted: 29 November 2015 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2014-03-28

It’s hard to imagine that it would provide much of a financial boost to lodges, so financial ‘support’ isn’t a viable concept. As to moral ‘support’, I fail to see how that would work, either.

Just with respect to the propriety of wearing something you are not entitled to, what would you think of somebody wearing a Phi Beta Kappa ring if he never graduated from high school? Personally, I think that would be just a little pretentious.

How about somebody wearing a Roman collar if they are not ordained?

Putting this into your area of the world, what would be the reaction from a member of the R22eR if people started wandering around in public wearing Le Castor? Those soldiers earned the right to wear that badge and I suspect they would be less than happy to have it worn by anybody with a couple of dollars in their pocket.

No law against it, but you’ll get no support here, sorry.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979
WM Zetland Lodge No. 83 - 2017

Posted: 30 November 2015 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2011-11-10

It’s also worth noting, that the only real ‘official’ clothing are actually the aprons - and I very much doubt that you’ll ever see them as everyday wear!  The t-shirts etc. are really just that; t-shirts with emblems on - although wearing them is likely to generate differing reactions resulting from a) those wearing them, and b) the reactions of those ‘responding’ to them (cf. John et al comments).

Signature 

Richard
UGLE: Craft (PAGDC), Royal Arch (PProvGTreas)
Additional Orders: Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS

Posted: 30 November 2015 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1019
Joined  2011-03-20
philippeheinischducharme - 27 November 2015 01:08 PM

There are so many freemason apparel out there like t-shirt available to all the population. Is it ok to buy and wear such apparal if you are not a freemason to support your cause?

I’m sorry but non-Freemasons wearing or displaying the emblems of Freemasonry does not support or help freemasonry!

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 08 December 2015 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2015-11-28

Its not trademarked so technically you can yes but might not be the best idea.

I agree with Brother Mike, I don’t feel it helps or supports at all, in fact depending on the situation it can HURT, Imagine average Joe wears a Masonic Shirt and does something stupid or unbecoming, I highly doubt anyone is going to ask if hes “Really a Mason”

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3246 seconds.