Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
Police officers amoung members? not wanted? P.s by not wanted i mean the one who would infiltrate a lodge as police work
Posted: 15 November 2015 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2014-06-15

I can tell you that in our lodge we have no such concern. We have several members who are active police officers. We have one who is a retired DEA officer. We have several active military members and a few retired ones.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 16 November 2015 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2015-11-09

Apart from the mention of the UK judges showing favoritism, or whatever, decades ago, I know of no other mention of it happening. CAN an officer exercise discretion for simple infractions? Certainly. They do it all the time. Could it be because someone is a Freemason? You bet. Of course, it could also be because the person is a veteran, has no previous infractions, is someone they know personally, is a firefighter, an EMT, a priest, or any other myriad reasons.
To suggest an LEO would simply disregard a major crime because someone is a freemason is ludicrous. In my eyes, this is simply one of those stories that is told often, but no one ever has any proof of it, other than “I heard it from a reliable source”.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

Posted: 16 November 2015 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2011-11-10
oldsoldier - 16 November 2015 09:58 AM

Apart from the mention of the UK judges showing favoritism, or whatever, decades ago, I know of no other mention of it happening.

Even that was just hearsay and supposition - there was AFAIK, no proof it ever happened!

Signature 

Richard
UGLE: Craft (PAGDC), Royal Arch (PProvGTreas)
Additional Orders: Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS

Posted: 16 November 2015 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2015-09-29

Correct - the Home Office report refuted the allegations.

I would also add that Freemasons are no more likely to favour other Freemasons in such circumstances than would, say, two members of a golf club, or theater group, or any other set of people who befriend one another.

Signature 

Neil Higgins

Craft - Blackpool Lodge of Fellowship No 7692
Holy Royal Arch - Fellowship Chapter No 7692

Initiated: 11th January 2013
Passed   : 11th October 2013
Raised   : 14th November 2014

Posted: 16 November 2015 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4099
Joined  2007-09-27

In fact….I’ve heard stories of Brother Police Men issuing tickets to Brothers saying “You should know better, Brother!”.

I like the idea of us holding each other to higher standards.

Signature 

Dan

1st District Membership Chairman - Boston, MA
Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
The Lodge of the Royal Secret - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 17 November 2015 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10
Neil Higgins - 16 November 2015 12:45 PM

I would also add that Freemasons are no more likely to favour other Freemasons in such circumstances than would, say, two members of a golf club, or theater group, or any other set of people who befriend one another.

In fact, the latter groups are more likely to do so than Freemasons!  As Dan says, we’re more likely to come down harder purely BECAUSE of the moral issue - and I know that HAS happened!

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 17 November 2015 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1019
Joined  2011-03-20
Neil Higgins - 13 November 2015 07:12 AM

I’m pretty sure that the UK Home Office some years ago mandated that anyone from the Judiciary had to declare their membership of Freemasonry as there was some concern about unfair treatment of other brothers.

I always enjoy it when non-Masons talk about the “Masonic Judges” I like to refer them to the one time where it is actually documented that a Freemason, one Frederick Seddon the Victorian poisoner,  tried to use his membership to avert the course of justice.

You can read the transcript of his trial here: http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19120227-48&div=t19120227-48 and the kicker comes at the end when Seddon was asked if he had any reason that the sentence of death should not be handed down.

You can read Judge Bucknill’s response on this page: http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/seddon-frederick.htm

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 18 November 2015 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-01-30

Yeah I been put in the situation of having to arrest another member of my mother lodge.  Thankfully a coworker knew we were both in the lodge and told me he would handle it.  I was thankful but would have done my job as I agree with Bro. Bucknill in the link you provided Bro. Martin.

Also I was involved in a theft case, for work not the crime, upwards of 50 grand from a lodge.  The offender turned out to be a Mason.  Again the brotherhood is strong but the lesson of masonry don’t condone criminal acts.

Also the amount of masons compared to the total population it’s very unlikely the situation will come up often.

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 18 November 2015 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

Well, let’s just say the premice of this thread was that Police Officers are a) not welcome or b) trying to infiltrate lodges has been shown to be completely absurd. Many officers are masons and we have nothing to hide from our brothers. With the fact that a few of our brothers have even been President of the United States infiltration is not one of our concerns. We spend our time making sure our brothers and their families are ok and contributing to the betterment of those less fortunate in our communities.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 19 November 2015 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

It’s probably true to say that police officers are happy to be Freemasons because it’s usually one of the few places they can go without meeting people they may have to deal with the following day - and as a result can relax.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 21 November 2015 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2015-08-13
Brother John - 14 November 2015 07:50 AM

The town where I live pays half the cost of the body armor worn by the police officers when they join the force. The local lodge pays the other half weather the officer is a member or not.

M.John thanks again for your answer i find it nice that your local lodge helps the police force and their protection. It makes me think my biological father used to help with how the vest’s where made and outside clothing for police officers of Sherbrooke as volonteer work.

Thanks Again M.John.

Signature 

Philippe Heinisch Ducharme

More of my ideas and questions in my profile.

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 21 November 2015 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2015-08-13
Brother John - 18 November 2015 08:22 PM

Well, let’s just say the premice of this thread was that Police Officers are a) not welcome or b) trying to infiltrate lodges has been shown to be completely absurd. Many officers are masons and we have nothing to hide from our brothers. With the fact that a few of our brothers have even been President of the United States infiltration is not one of our concerns. We spend our time making sure our brothers and their families are ok and contributing to the betterment of those less fortunate in our communities.

Thanks M.John for your answer again. I am sorry i did not express myself in the right matter. what i ment is that police officers would not be welcome only if they where infiltrating a lodge as police work if there is such a thing. i was trying to express my concerns because as i grew older i noticed as police work they infiltrate all kind of organisations sometimes on what is said of the group. and it can also be angry catholic’s who open investigations on freemasons…

Signature 

Philippe Heinisch Ducharme

More of my ideas and questions in my profile.

“The nature of scientific genius is to question what the rest of us take for granted” From the series Cosmos.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. -George Orwell

Posted: 21 November 2015 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

Sure, if a Police Officer were to ask to join a lodge and said he was only joining to infiltrate and find out what nefarious deeds the masons were up to he would be laughed at and shown the door. That is not a good reason for a man to join the Fraternity. We only allow men to join who hold a favorable opinion of the Craft and this man is coming to our gate with an assumption of evil doing. I doubt that would ever happen, though. All a cop would need to do to find out if we were doing anything bad is ask one of the masons in the squad room.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3258 seconds.