Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

CQ Ham Masons CQ Ham Masons CQ Ham Masons de KC7RSO k
Posted: 01 November 2014 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2014-10-24

I did a quick search of the forum to see if there were any Masons that are Amateur Radio operators hanging out in here.

I found this link http://www.masonicgathering.net/ that has some info but I am wondering if there are others out there that share the same hobby along with being an active Freemason.

If so are there any particular frequencies and or nets you hang out on?  Due to the international nature of the internet and Ham radio for that matter please share HF frequencies and times for nets. If you do have a net on VHF is it linked by Echolink or something similar so other Freemasons from around the world can check in? I would love to check in and visit with as many stations as possible.  Voice, digital or cw works for me.

If you have no clue about Ham Radio I can help you there too feel free to post or send me a private message.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

Whitman Lodge #49 Pullman WA
Petition Submitted October 2014
Initiated Entered Apprentice Degree 01/08/2015
Passed Fellowcraft 2/12/2015
Raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason 03/26/2015

A&A Scottish Rite Valley of Lewiston
32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 01 November 2014 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1227
Joined  2011-11-10

QSL de G4VTU - still got the license, but no longer active.

Originally trained as a Radio Officer in the Merchant Navy.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 01 November 2014 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Thanks for the reply Richard. When you were active did you participate in any Freemason nets?  Also what modes did you like to work?

73 de KC7RSO

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 01 November 2014 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

No I didn’t - it was very early in my Masonic career and the two didn’t really mix .. maybe just me not being aware.
HF/morse .. due to my training I was a 25 words a minute guy .. was a bit difficult actually - mainly because I’d been used to hearing stuff sent at a faster speed that hams do/did. Too much thinking time! It was a bit like hearing someone spell words out rather than hearing them as a whole. :)

Signature 

Richard
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 02 November 2014 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

QSL de AB4Y. I was introduced to Freemasonry, by the late Don Tuggle N4AOC. I was originally licensed as WA4YRA (Young Radio Amateur). I was DA1NR, WA4YRA/LX. WA4YRA/OE7. PA9BBN, AB4Y/ZS, F0IHZ. I operated XE4MAX and HZ1AB. In Columbus OH, I set up the “Voice of Aladdin”, at Aladdin Shrine. I also set up a “Hiram Hams” group in Columbus, we had enough ham masons, for our own degree team. Whenever a ham took the degrees, we got many of the hiram-hams from central Ohio to perform the ceremonial work.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 02 November 2014 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Thanks for the background Charles and Richard. Charles that must have really been fun to have your own Ham degree team.  Just ran across an echolink channel of the MASONS http://masonicgathering.net I even had a good QSO.  I see a net time listed for Sundays at 0230 UTC so I might check it out.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 02 November 2014 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2014-04-28

Hi, Aaron.. 
I’W1MTX; been a ham since 1957 and a Mason since 1979. Ham radio started me on a lifetime career in electronics; through ham radio I have made friends all over the world, and have had experiences and been places I’d never have dreamed of when I was a young squirt back in New Hampshire in the 50’s.  And through Freemasonry, I have only expanded that experience even more. You are just starting as a Mason, and from the call, just starting as a ham. May you take great pleasure from both experiences, and may you learn from them both and form worldwide friendships also.

Good luck to you, and keep us all posted.

With fraternal 73

Bob Chadwick W1MTX ex VK6CH, VR2GE, VK4ZV, VK8ZA
Palm Bay, FL

Posted: 02 November 2014 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Hello Bob thank you for your reply. 

I am looking forward to having a great time as a Freemason. I am in the waiting game right now after submitting my petition. I am considering it as my first lesson in Masonry. I will have to dig through the forum and quote the Mason that I first saw that line from. Your right about ham radio and the experience of speaking to people all over the world.  It started me in my present career in electronics too.  Unlike Freemasonry I am not a new ham. In fact I am almost due to renew again (currently 18 years licensed as KC7RSO).

I did check in on the Freemason Gathering net tonight thanks to the Echolink setup.  Nice to hear from other Masons around the country and share our common hobby of Amateur Radio.

73 also to you Bob…W1MTX de KC7RSO

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 03 November 2014 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Looks like we all ended up in electronics!  I worked for the old Marconi Company (Marconi Radar), then latterly Cossor Electronics (which later became Raytheon UK - a subsiduary of the US company) .. finally as a software engineer (in Raytheon UK) working on GPS equipment .. that’s now flying around in UK/UK fighters.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 07 November 2014 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

It does seem to be a common thread and launching point for many people.  I love the electronics industry and enjoy building my own gear as a hobby.  Current rig is an Elecraft KX1 CW rig.  I also am looking forward to meeting both on the air and in real life Master Masons from around the world.  The Echolink net made it really easy for a voice check in and it was fun speaking with the guys in there.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

‹‹ My journey to Freemasonry      Knights malta ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4149 seconds.