Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

4 of 4
My journey to Freemasonry
Posted: 10 January 2015 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2014-10-24

Thank you Charles,

I will keep everyone informed of my progress on here as I go. As far as what I am planning on for the future I think I will start with getting a very good foundation of Masonry in my local lodge before I move on to leadership. If anything I will probably consider entering the leadership line next year (unless I am called upon for a needed task sooner).

I do want to seek membership in an appendant/concordant body but I am in no hurry. For now I just need to absorb my lessons and apply them in my life. There is much to learn and understand. I want to take my time and digest all the details as I go understanding even the subtle points.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

Whitman Lodge #49 Pullman WA
Petition Submitted October 2014
Initiated Entered Apprentice Degree 01/08/2015
Passed Fellowcraft 2/12/2015
Raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason 03/26/2015

A&A Scottish Rite Valley of Lewiston
32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 11 January 2015 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

You need not wait, to offer to volunteer for tasks. You may approach your WM or secretary, and offer to help in any way you can. There may be tasks on the kitchen krew, or other work. You obligation to masonry does not end, with the paying of dues. You can contribute “sweat equity” anytime.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 07 March 2015 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Well hello everyone. It has been a little while since I last posted on here so since my last replay I have been passed and have done my Fellow Craft degree.  It was a great experience and I have learned much since starting on this journey. I really loved the symbolism that was presented in the Fellow Craft. 

I have met with my mentor several times in preparation for the next meeting. I was told that it looks like I have made great progress and I am scheduled to be Raised this Thursday. I am excited to be able to be able to vote, hold office, join the other bodies etc. However part of me also would like to remain a Fellow Craft for some time and see as many 1st and 2nd degrees as possible right now. 

A crab feed tonight at the lodge then Thursday is my big day.  I will try and get on here and update everyone after I am raised. 

Fraternally yours,
Aaron

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 07 March 2015 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2010-06-07

Enjoy your upcoming degree, Aaron.

As you continue your Masonic career you’ll be able to attend as well as work in many degrees. Every time you see a degree, or work to deliver part of one, you may just find yourself picking up something new. Attend them when you can and enjoy the work of your own as well as other lodges.

Posted: 28 March 2015 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

I am feeling deeply humbled and in awe as to this last week. On Tuesday I traveled to the nearby town of Moscow Idaho (8 miles away from Pullman WA) and was welcomed to sit in their lodge and witness two new initiates become fellow brothers in Freemasonry.  They put on a spectacular ceremony and this was the first time I was able to see the Entered Apprentice degree performed from the sidelines. The Worshipful Master delivered a fantastic presentation of the lecture and a wonderful evening was had.

This Thursday at my home lodge meeting I proved up for my Fellowcraft degree. I must say I was very nervous about standing in front of my brothers and undergo my testing. Once it was complete to my surprise I was welcomed with many “Great Job” comments and even applaud. After this was all wrapped up I was asked to leave the Lodge room then prepared for the 3rd degree.

My mind is still overflowing with the detail of the degree. I can honestly say it was a fantastic experience. I am proud to now call myself a Master Mason. As described before in other posts I see it is really now that the hard work begins. I have much to still learn, tests to take, and things to accomplish. But it is wonderful to be well on this lifelong journey as a Master Mason.

Now time to get studying on my proficiency so that I can become a full member of the fraternity. Thank you all for your words of kindness and the many great posts on this forum. It has been a great help as I have undertaken this journey.

Fraternally yours,

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 11 April 2015 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Just a couple of weeks ago I was raised and was immediately put to work in the lodge for our meeting last week. I got to sit in one of the chairs while our Very Worshipful Deputy Grand Master paid a visit. It was a wonderful meeting and one thing our V.W. Deputy Grand Master said to me really spoke to me. 

I guess there is a trend of new Master Masons that once they are Raised they never come to the Lodge meetings. It is sad after all of that work to simply not participate just when the full light of Masonry is open to you. I for one will do all I can to help my lodge, I love the friendships that I have made so far. It looks like it can only get better.

I better get back to my studies as I am trying to prove my proficiency for our next meeting.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 23 April 2015 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  272
Joined  2013-04-04

Congratulations on your raising to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason. I enjoyed reading about your masonic journey. I have never sat on the sideline once since being raised. I sat in a chair my first stated meeting and every meeting since. You get out of Freemasonry what you put into it. I cannot figure fellows who go through the degrees and you never see them again. They are missing out IMO. Keep up the work.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 31 October 2015 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I have checked in and thought I would add some updated info to my journey.

I had a nice break over the summer when the lodge went dark. I have been very busy both in lodge and outside. I have been filling the roll of the Junior Deacon during meetings. It has been great. Our WM has me on tap to become an officer of the Lodge during our upcoming elections. I look forward to serving in the Lodge in this capacity.

I have been active in our lodge outside in the community too. Participating with my Brothers doing community service. This in itself has great benefits but it is made even more meaningful working with the Freemasons for a cause that supports our community.

I am also enjoying traveling to neighboring lodges and seeing the differences. The main difference I speak to is that between Washington State, Free and Accepted Masons and that of Idaho, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The differences are not huge but are significant. I have found by attending both meetings I have been gleaning more from the work. Both are very fulfilling and I have met many new brothers.

As of October 2015 I have fully proved up and am now considered a full member. Next meeting we are getting ready for elections with installation scheduled for December.

For those that are reading this thread for the first time and are considering petitioning a lodge I hope my experience will speak positively to you. Joining a lodge and doing degree work is and will remain a highlight for my year. I look forward to many more years and lots of work to do with my Brothers.

I wish you all the best and I do enjoy reading about your experiences.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 31 October 2015 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

I am delighted to hear this. I am also delighted that your brothers are honoring you with the opportunity to serve the craft as an officer. One thing I am a bit confused on. In my home lodge (KY), a man is considered a full member as soon as he completes the EA degree. You are then bound to the Craft. Maybe your GL has different regulations.

I realize that you are working with your Craft lodge.  Have you considered any of the appendant bodies?

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 22 May 2016 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Hello everyone I hope things are going well for you. 

I know it has been a few months since I last wrote but I have been extremely busy as of late. So to recap in December I was elected the Junior Warden for Whitman #49 here in Pullman WA.  This has been a fun experience. I feel it has given me a deeper understanding of the rolls of the officers and how a lodge is run.  It helps that I attended the Grand Lodge of Washington’s Lodge Leadership retreat. While there I met many new friends, had the opportunity to attend many great lectures, and was given a great book to read.

The book I was given as part of my retreat learning materials was “Journey on the Level” by Owen Shieh.  I highly recommend it as a read by any new Master Masons or for anyone really. I was given the idea of using it as part of a mentoring program for new Masons and after reading it I can see how valuable a tool it could be.  Here is the link to the website http://journeyonthelevel.com/. You can find this book on several online book vendors by making use of your search engine in your browser. 

Brother Charles to answer your questions from the last post…
I was instructed in my lodge that I was not a full member of the fraternity until I proved my proficiency during lodge.

Yes I was thinking about joining an appendant body. In-fact just 2 short weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending a Scottish Rite Reunion. I am now a 32 degree Scottish Rite Mason in the Orient of Idaho, and Valley of Lewiston. I have met many new brothers and was really impressed by the degrees of the Scottish Rite. I felt very inspired and enlightened by what happened at the reunion. I am humbled by the vast amount of information I need to sort through but excited by it too. One of the first things I did was volunteer for a committee and requested to participate in the Scottish Rite Master Craftsman program.

In addition to the Master Craftsman program (I have not started this yet but hope to with some brothers as a group study once a month) I have started working on a program from the Grand Lodge called Proficiency in Lodge Management.  This program gets you familiar with the Masonic code, and Lodge operations (how to open etc). I am learning quite a bit right now and am enjoying every minute of it.

I am looking forward to attending my first Grand Lodge communication session in a couple of weeks. I am sure there will be many fun and new experiences that happen during Grand Lodge. 

For those that have been reading this thread THANK YOU! I have had a great time writing my experience and I hope people find it valuable.

Admins and moderators: I did email and PM for permission to post the link but did not hear any response after several days. Sorry if you don’t like this url I can remove it if there is any problem.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

4 of 4

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4024 seconds.