Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

3 of 4
My journey to Freemasonry
Posted: 11 November 2014 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2011-11-10

Oh dear.

If I give an English Constitution slant on this, the rules are published online by the United Grand Lodge of England in pdf form for everyone to download if you so wish - and to avoid the accusation that only masons know how to get it, do a google search on “ugle book of constitutions” and go to the top entry - it should take you here;  http://www.ugle.org.uk/about/book-of-constitutions.  As far as (our) ritual/ceremonies are concerned, the books are published and available for anyone to purchase - from a number of public companies .. Toye, Kenning and Spencer, Central Regalia, The Freemason, Crest Regalia, Acacia Masonic Regalia - I could go on .. all of whom have internet sites and will quite happily send you a copy when you pay the requisite fee.  That’s secret is it ...?

FWIW and as far as Pike is concerned, to demonstrate how little actual impact he has on the worldwide fraternity, if you were to go back a few years (to before the internet really became established and widely used) and asked anyone outside the US a) who he was and b) about Morals and Dogma, they’d look at you as though you were nuts - he’s meaningless outside of a small section of US Freemasonry.  Even today, the majority of Freemasons around the world wouldn’t know who or what you were talking about.

I’m not brainwashed into agreeing not to divulge the manner of recognition (note I don’t use the word ‘secrets’) - I agree to it because a) I know it’s just a test of my own integrity, and b) that they’re actually meaningless anyway as if someone wants to find our what they are they just need to visit their local library - they were published over 200 years ago!

Don’t ever forget that words like ‘profane’ don’t mean the same to us as they may to you; ‘profane’ back in the 1800s meant something completely different to what it means these days. These days it’s an insult; back then, and to freemasons, it means ‘not privy to certain information or membership’.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 11 November 2014 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2010-11-01
sammy_sp - 11 November 2014 01:26 AM

@dear de-Bro. Paul: You’re welcome. Why do you think any rules should not be changed? There is no rule that is 100% correct so there’s always place for improvement in everything. I don’t know the rules so I cannot say “what” needs to be changed, but I don’t agree with obeying any solid unchangeable rules. I get the impression it is possible this organization has some brainwashing impacts on its members, although again I cannot be sure since I haven’t been a member (and do not plan to become one.) But the fact that you all seem to believe in certain rules gives me the creeps! Take the secrecy for instance, you seem to unanimously agree with keeping the secrets secret. Or any other rules you may have for that matter, or simply agreeing with the purpose of the fraternity, its plans, etc. whatever they may be. We all get brainwashed at times without realizing it. The way I notice myself being brainwashed is when I realize that my opinion about a certain concept is the same as almost everyone else in my community while other communities may hold different opinions. When I have an argument with someone who has a conflicting opinion, all of a sudden it comes to me that I never truly gave the topic any thought. Unless you’ve thought about a concept and have your own reasons, it’s very simple to get brainwashed by listening to other people’s seemingly logical arguments and get satisfied, especially when you keep things secret; you’re not able to even hear the conflicting arguments anymore since you won’t be talking about it outside your community..

Well, Two of the rules that won’t change are the admission of females and the admission of atheists.  As I said other rules have changed over the years, sometimes multiple times.

Brainwashing- There it is….I was wondering when that shoe would fall.  Let me put it to you simply, NO.  This does not take place.  We all have our own free will and if we find that any of the rules of the fraternity conflict with our own conscience, all we have to do is make it known that we no longer wish to be a member.  Simple as that.  I suspect that this idea along with your sources of conflicting information have come from sites that are not legitimate.  So, I will ask again for your sources. 

I am also unsure why you refer to some of us as “de-bro” .  It simply shows a lack of maturity on your part to continue to do so.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 11 November 2014 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

Masonry is NOT a religion. Therefore, none of the rules contained in the constitution and by-laws of various Grand Lodges are “set in stone”. Several years ago, nearly all USA Grand Lodges required petitioners to be 21 years old. Now, Many USA Grand Lodges permit 18 year old men, to petition.

I cannot stress too strongly, that nothing is secret in Masonry, except the modes of recognition. The moral lessons and the lectures, and the symbolism has been openly published for many years. And even the modes of recognition can be found with very little effort.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 12 November 2014 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2011-11-10

I would also add that EVERY society has rules; even you, I suspect follow some .. they’re called ‘law’; they’re voted on by representatives of that society and dictate what is acceptable behaviour between individuals.  Step outside those rules and you risk punishment depending on the severity of the infraction.  Freemasonry is no different; if we were to step outside the rules that have been agreed upon by the general membership of the particular Grand Lodge governing our particular location, then we risk admonishment, suspension or expulsion as appropriate.  If a rule is deemed obsolete or out-dated, then it’s possible to raise the issue with Grand Lodge where it will be debated, left in place, changed or revoked according to majority vote of the membership.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 12 November 2014 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2014-10-31

Have fun with your “legitimate” responses and links de-Bros! Best of luck and God bless

Posted: 12 November 2014 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-01

Have a nice day.

Signature 

St. Georges Lodge #6

Scribe

Jr. Warden

Schenectady NY

Posted: 13 November 2014 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2014-10-24

Well that was a little side trip on this thread. I hope all of sammys the questions were answered. Thank you to all of the Master Masons that handled the questions above. Now time to put this thread back on topic of My journey.

Update!... 

I just came home from the lodge meeting tonight. It was a pleasure having dinner with the lodge members. It is a little strange having to leave right after dinner but I understand. I was told that my petition was voted on during the last meeting. I was accepted! I am so excited and nervous at the same time. It looks like I will be initiated in January this is due to only having one meeting this month and next.  So I will resume waiting and now add on the nerves of waiting.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

Whitman Lodge #49 Pullman WA
Petition Submitted October 2014
Initiated Entered Apprentice Degree 01/08/2015
Passed Fellowcraft 2/12/2015
Raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason 03/26/2015

A&A Scottish Rite Valley of Lewiston
32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 13 November 2014 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2313
Joined  2011-01-20
aprsguy - 13 November 2014 11:16 PM

Well that was a little side trip on this thread. I hope all of sammys the questions were answered. Thank you to all of the Master Masons that handled the questions above. Now time to put this thread back on topic of My journey.

Update!... 

I just came home from the lodge meeting tonight. It was a pleasure having dinner with the lodge members. It is a little strange having to leave right after dinner but I understand. I was told that my petition was voted on during the last meeting. I was accepted! I am so excited and nervous at the same time. It looks like I will be initiated in January this is due to only having one meeting this month and next.  So I will resume waiting and now add on the nerves of waiting.

There’s nothing to be nervous about. You now have a bunch of new friends who will soon be your brothers. Enjoy the journey and I sincerely hope yours is as pleasant and fulfilling as mine has been.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 14 November 2014 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-01
aprsguy - 13 November 2014 11:16 PM

Update!... 

Wonderful news Aaron.  There really is nothing to be nervous about.  You don’t need to study anything or read up at all.  Sit back, relax and enjoy what is to come.

Signature 

St. Georges Lodge #6

Scribe

Jr. Warden

Schenectady NY

Posted: 17 November 2014 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Thank you all for the well wishes and congratulations. I am looking forward to this undertaking. Now a question for the Master Masons in the room. 

I have read several statements from the Master Masons in this forum that go something like this “I wish I was back in your shoes starting over again”.  So my question to all of you is this. If you could do it all over again knowing now what you did not know then what advice would you give to those of us that will be going through the degrees for the first time? No spoilers but give us tips for what or how we should approach the degrees.

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 17 November 2014 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2313
Joined  2011-01-20
aprsguy - 17 November 2014 09:38 PM

Thank you all for the well wishes and congratulations. I am looking forward to this undertaking. Now a question for the Master Masons in the room. 

I have read several statements from the Master Masons in this forum that go something like this “I wish I was back in your shoes starting over again”.  So my question to all of you is this. If you could do it all over again knowing now what you did not know then what advice would you give to those of us that will be going through the degrees for the first time? No spoilers but give us tips for what or how we should approach the degrees.

I think we would all like to experience the sense of wonder and gratitude we felt when we went through the degrees. The only advice would be to realize that every man in that lodge voted for you to be his brother. There is nothing to fear in the ceremonies and much to learn.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 November 2014 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-01
aprsguy - 17 November 2014 09:38 PM

For the First Degree, you have nothing to prepare or study or anything.  Simply show up when you are instructed to and follow the instructions you are given.  You will be asked some questions, but trust me when I say that you WILL know when to speak and hat to say, it is blatantly obvious.  Every single person in the room will have done exactly what you are going to do.  You will not be made fun of and there is no, I repeat NO hazing.  You will be prepared in a certain manner and may even wear a costume, but it and the reason for it will be explained to you as part of the degree.  For now though, simply relax and don’t worry.  Many congratulations to you again.

Signature 

St. Georges Lodge #6

Scribe

Jr. Warden

Schenectady NY

Posted: 05 January 2015 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

I hope everyone is doing well after the Holiday season. Today I received final confirmation that my first degree will take place this Thursday. I am excited to be having the degree work starting.  It has been a long several months of waiting.  I look forward to being able to call the other Masons in the world “Brother”. 

I have been checking into the Masonic Gathering net on echolink every Sunday evening. It has been fun hearing others speak about what their lodges are doing.  One Master Mason even spoke about how they had been opening their lodge building as a warming center for the homeless when the temperature drops. A great way to serve the community. 

So my next post will be after my Entered Apprentice degree.

Aaron

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 09 January 2015 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2014-10-24

Lets see where to start? Degree 1 done and I can now call myself an Entered Apprentice. I must say I am completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information presented to me. It was a wonderful experience and now I am diving head first into my studies. I am looking forward to meeting with my coach and progressing through the information I need to learn. 

The night started off with dinner. This helped to calm my nerves a bit along with visiting with the other Brothers.  After dinner I found myself again working on the first lesson of Freemasonry, patience. I quietly waited to be called to the start of the initiation.  Lucky for me there was plenty of books and journals in the lodge to keep me occupied. The ceremony started and all I can say is WOW.  Very respectful, honorable, and enlightening is what I will say about the experience on here. 

So now to put my head down and start learning all of this information. I am proud to be a Entered Apprentice and to now be able to call other Masons Brother.

That is all for now. I will keep posting on my journey as I move along. A big THANK YOU to all of the Brothers that have helped me along the way from this forum.

Aaron

Signature 

Aaron Parker, 32°

32° 4/30/2016

Posted: 10 January 2015 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

I am delighted to have been of some help. Please keep us informed of your progress. I am very interested to learn what you are going to do in your first months of Masonry. Are you going to consider seeking a leadership position? Do you wish to seek membership in an appendant/concordant body right away?

Do not be overwhelmed by what you will be learning in the degrees. The instruction is broken down into sections, and you will be able to cope, I am sure.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

3 of 4

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.6176 seconds.