Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
Good News
Posted: 27 October 2010 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-10-25

First of all congratulations to you!! Perhaps your degree work has started now. You should work hard and do well.

Signature 

Reduce your weight with acai berry diet.

Posted: 27 October 2010 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-10-29

Have not started yet, being on 3pm to 11pm is proving to be a challenge scheduling wise. I am hoping to hear something this week. I was suppose to start the beginning of October. I am hoping November.

Signature 

EA: 3/14/11
FC: 4/11/11
MM: 5/23/11

Posted: 08 November 2010 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-29

Ok looks like 2010 is a bust. The lodge has not been able to find a way to get around my being on the 3 to 11pm shift. So for now I wait…...

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2010 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4058
Joined  2007-09-27

To be fair Ken, I don’t think I’d want to raise a member who worked those hours.  If you can’t make it to perhaps the 3 most important nights of your early Masonic career, what indicates that you would EVER attend lodge?  I wouldn’t raise someone if I knew right away that they wouldn’t attend lodge.

Perhaps now is not the time for you is all I’m saying.  There are daylight lodges, but they are pretty hard to come by.  I think it may be best for you to wait until you work 1st or 2nd shift.  I don’t think it would be reasonable to ask the lodge to make special efforts to fit your schedule.

Does that make sense?  I hope I’m not coming across has harsh, I’m just trying to approach it realistically.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 09 November 2010 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2084
Joined  2008-01-21

You should see if you can trade shifts, with another person at your job. There should be a way to accomodate you. Some cities have “daylight lodges”, that meet at 12noon, so that shift workers, and Masons who cannot get out at night, can participate in Masonry. I wish you luck.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 09 November 2010 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  788
Joined  2007-03-18

Hello Ken

I hate to see you being discouraged about this situation.

I was doing a little research into all this and came across a nice site that talked about daytime Freemasonry. As it turns out, early masonic lodges—especially operative lodges—almost all met during the day and/or on the weekends. In fact, part of our ritual talks about calling the craft “from labor to refreshment” at 12 noon.

Here’s a link to the article:

http://www.themasonictrowel.com/masonic_talk/stb/stbs/90-03.htm

Most lodges now meet in the evening, however, and I have to agree with Dan in that Lodge officers go through a lot of work to bring in a member—so they want people who will be active. It’s not like a church or religion where someone might be “saved” by becoming a Mason—in fact getting the degrees is just the beginning. There was a time that “one day classes” allowed someone to become a Mason, but without getting involved in a Lodge it really has little meaning.

If it makes you feel any better, there’s an old Masonic Saying that goes:

“A Mason is not necessarily a member of a lodge. In a broad sense, he is any person who daily tries to live the Masonic life, and to serve intelligently the needs of the Great Architect.”

So I would try acting like a Mason. Sounds like you might be doing that already. And then I would look around for some daytime Lodges. Someone on the Forum might know some, or you can check the Lodge Locater. Even if you have to drive a bit it might be fun and worth it—and if your job ever changes you can affiliate later.

Hope that helps—and good luck.

Bob

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 09 November 2010 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2007-09-27

Hi, Ken-

Rose of Sharon Lodge meets in Charlton on Saturday mornings. They might be an option for your to take your degrees, as well as a place to be active. I understand they are starting a new class of candidates soon (maybe January?). You might want to have the Master of Secretary of your Lodge connect with them to explore the possibility of taking your degrees with them as a courtesy to Quinebaug Lodge. Good luck.
-Robert

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

Posted: 24 November 2010 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-29

I want to thank you all for your advice.

Dan, I myself thought the same and after talking to the lodge I was told not to worry about the time difference so I applied. I still have concern on being active and will do my best to do so.

cemab4y, Though about it but the 1st shift guys is not open to the idea

Bob, yes it is a bit discourging but I certainly understand the diffculty the lodge is having. I am sure it will happen when it happens patiences I have.

H. Robert there was talk of asking the Rose of Sharon lodge of course that was the 1st person I talked to in March. The person I have been in contact with since September was not even aware I was on the 3 to 11pm shift so it is my believe there was some miscommunication. I will mention it the next time I call him. I have been checking in once a month.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2010 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-06-01

Maybe I’m stating the obvious or the obvious was just overlooked. Do you have vacation or personal days you could use?

Posted: 29 November 2010 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-29

No Unfortunately they were used up prior to me being accepted. It is also a new jobs so my paid time off is not that many days. Though it is also something I will bring up. Since I get more time in January.

Signature 

Posted: 29 November 2010 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-03-29

Where there is a will, there is a way.  You seem like you really want to become a Freemason, so I’m sure you will find a way with enough time.

Posted: 05 January 2011 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-29

Ok so I went to the lodge for the ham dinner on Monday night and talked to them and we worked out a plan to start my deegree work in March. Going to be using some vacation time from work (half days).

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2011 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-03-29
Ken28 - 05 January 2011 10:43 PM

Ok so I went to the lodge for the ham dinner on Monday night and talked to them and we worked out a plan to start my deegree work in March. Going to be using some vacation time from work (half days).

Sounds good!

Posted: 06 January 2011 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

Good deal, Ken. Sounds like you’re joining a great lodge, they are willing to work with you. You won’t regret the sacrifices you’ll be making. Let us know how it goes when the time comes.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5688 seconds.