Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

York rite uniform
Posted: 23 April 2014 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-10-26

Are there any lodges that don’t wear the hat that I always see with the York Rite?  Is there a requirement?  Or can we opt out and wear the simple cap and mantle the KT in Canada wear?

Posted: 23 April 2014 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4043
Joined  2007-09-27

It depends on your jurisdiction.  However, I doubt very much that you’d be FORCED to wear the hat anyway.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 23 April 2014 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-10-26
Dan Madore - 23 April 2014 01:46 PM

It depends on your jurisdiction.  However, I doubt very much that you’d be FORCED to wear the hat anyway.

Really?  I mean no offence, but besides the hat being, well, a bit ostentatious the things are really expensive.  Not sure if you’ve seen the ones they wear in Canada but besides looking a bit more knightly they are more affordable.

Posted: 23 April 2014 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Again, I don’t think anyone would force you to wear or even BUY a hat that you don’t want to buy, but it really depends on the York Rite in your jurisdiction. 

Are you talking about the big black ones with the white feathers?  I believe those are only worn by officers in ceremonies.  General members in attendance don’t wear them in most cases.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 23 April 2014 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-10-26

Yeah those are the ones.  Priced them before and they’re not cheap. 
SO its only officers who wear them?  Ok then.  Also I’m curious, i’ve looked at pictures of the KT doing various ceremonies and I sometimes see peopkle wearing caps similar in design to the Scottish Rite (ones they wear in Canada) and a templar mantle over their uniform.  Who are they?

Posted: 23 April 2014 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

I’m really not sure how to answer your question.  It’s a bit out of scope of this forum, as we are really here to answer questions of non-Masons on how one becomes a Mason.

Am I to assume that you are a Mason who is interested in joining the York Rite?  If that’s the case, I would say your best bet is to speak directly with the York Rite bodies in your jurisdiction.  They’d be able to tell you what practices they recommend.  I don’t know how some men come by their hats for ceremonies.  I know that some YR bodies provide the hats for their members and others need to purchase their own.

Perhaps another member of the forum who is more active in York Rite can shed some light on this topic, but I would say that of all the things that would persuade a man to join a group or dissuade him from it, the hat worn by the group would be the last hurdle I would expect :)

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 23 April 2014 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  503
Joined  2012-01-30

In all the York Rite meetings I have attended a coat and tie would be proper.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 28 April 2014 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

I am a Past Commander of a KT Commandery, so I can give you the streight dope.

The “Hat” you refer to (the big black one with the feathers) is called a “Chapeau”. In most jurisdictions in the USA (Delware is the one exception I know of), it is part of what is called the Full Templar Uniform. (There is another uniform called the Fatigue Uniform, which is less formal and has a relatively simple cap).

The FTU consists of a black navy-style suit, which may include a CPO-style coat, or a tailcoat, or a frock coat, depending on jurisdiction. Also included is the Chapeau with white ostrich plumes (MD and AK have black plumes) and a ceremonial sword. A complete FTU, including sword, costs at least $400 to buy new. But wait!  If you become Commander of your commandery, your uniform changes—you will need a new complete set of uniforms and sword, which are even more costly. And if you should become Grand Commander, you need another new Chapeau.  On top of that, a Grand Encampment (the National level) officer has yet another uniform.

Up until the late 1940’s, every member of a Commandery was required to own and wear his own uniform to meetings, and they were often tailor made. You could not attend out of uniform. Most masonic halls including a Commandery had locker rooms where the men kept the uniforms. Then the rules were relaxed so that only the officers had to wear uniforms, as is the case today, although non-officers are encouraged to own and wear the uniform. It was, and still is, common to obtain a used uniform or parts of a uniform and used swords and chapeaux rather than buy them new. Commanderies like mine which are well-endowed will pay for all or part of the uniforms for members who are regular attendees and those who want to be officers.

Sounds elitist?  Well, it is. The Commandery was, up to the mid-1950’s, very elitist. In an era when a man making $50 a week was doing well, he would have to pay an initiation fee of $50 or more and buy two uniforms, a sword, a chapeau and a fatigue cap at a total cost of several hundred dollars, the equivalent in today’s money of several thousand. Yet my commandery up to the 1960’s had 1500 members, with about 150 attending regular meetings. Eheu fugaces. Those days are long over. The Commandery is no longer elitist, but it’s still around and everywhere they do what they can to preserve as much as possible of the traditional dress and protocols. I myself frankly think that the uniforms are silly and there is no reason to spend a lot of money to look like a Victorian era navy officer. On the other hand, I’m not enthralled with the caps and capes worn in Delaware and Canada. So I guess we’ll continue with the anachronistic look for a while longer at least.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 28 February 2017 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2014-08-22
REYoung - 28 April 2014 11:45 AM

I am a Past Commander of a KT Commandery, so I can give you the streight dope.

The “Hat” you refer to (the big black one with the feathers) is called a “Chapeau”. In most jurisdictions in the USA (Delware is the one exception I know of), it is part of what is called the Full Templar Uniform. (There is another uniform called the Fatigue Uniform, which is less formal and has a relatively simple cap).

The FTU consists of a black navy-style suit, which may include a CPO-style coat, or a tailcoat, or a frock coat, depending on jurisdiction. Also included is the Chapeau with white ostrich plumes (MD and AK have black plumes) and a ceremonial sword. A complete FTU, including sword, costs at least $400 to buy new. But wait!  If you become Commander of your commandery, your uniform changes—you will need a new complete set of uniforms and sword, which are even more costly. And if you should become Grand Commander, you need another new Chapeau.  On top of that, a Grand Encampment (the National level) officer has yet another uniform.

Up until the late 1940’s, every member of a Commandery was required to own and wear his own uniform to meetings, and they were often tailor made. You could not attend out of uniform. Most masonic halls including a Commandery had locker rooms where the men kept the uniforms. Then the rules were relaxed so that only the officers had to wear uniforms, as is the case today, although non-officers are encouraged to own and wear the uniform. It was, and still is, common to obtain a used uniform or parts of a uniform and used swords and chapeaux rather than buy them new. Commanderies like mine which are well-endowed will pay for all or part of the uniforms for members who are regular attendees and those who want to be officers.

Sounds elitist?  Well, it is. The Commandery was, up to the mid-1950’s, very elitist. In an era when a man making $50 a week was doing well, he would have to pay an initiation fee of $50 or more and buy two uniforms, a sword, a chapeau and a fatigue cap at a total cost of several hundred dollars, the equivalent in today’s money of several thousand. Yet my commandery up to the 1960’s had 1500 members, with about 150 attending regular meetings. Eheu fugaces. Those days are long over. The Commandery is no longer elitist, but it’s still around and everywhere they do what they can to preserve as much as possible of the traditional dress and protocols. I myself frankly think that the uniforms are silly and there is no reason to spend a lot of money to look like a Victorian era navy officer. On the other hand, I’m not enthralled with the caps and capes worn in Delaware and Canada. So I guess we’ll continue with the anachronistic look for a while longer at least.

Just got my uniform after being a Sir Knight in the Commandery for 14 months….been saving up month by month to to buy the uniform. Expensive? I got some great deals on the uniform and accessories and still ended up paying a little more than $700.00. However, I love the drill and sword manual of arms of the Templars and wanted to join in. For that I had to have a uniform.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 23 March 2017 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2014-08-22

In my jurisdiction you are only required to purchase a uniform in the Knights Templar if you want to be an officer or want to participate in certain ceremonies that involve drill.I was a member for 14 months before I acquired a uniform.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3976 seconds.