Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

One Day Class
Posted: 07 April 2014 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-29

Hello brethren.  This is my first post, I’m a fellowcraft from ohio.
  Our district had their one day class this past Saturday, I have mixed emotions
  about the whole thing.  For those who don’t know what the one day class (i don’t know if other
  Districts have such thing).
  Basically you skip all the learning of any catechisms and become a Master Mason in one day by witnessing One guy going through all three degrees. Candidates just watch.

There was a brother who was initiated after i was and that night when he got initiated, I went through the entire EA catechism showing him how to read it, i offered to help him.
  The next time i heard about him was when someone said that he was going to take the one day class.

He is now a Master Mason and I’m still a FC. I was a little jelly for a while but then i realized that they are the less fortunate for not living and feeling the whole experience.
  It makes me feel like a young leader who fought among his people and rose to become a king by earning respect from his fellows.
  They are the princes who inherit the kingdom without any work.

Plus I hear rumors about a goat, i dont want to miss the goat!

Signature 

Initiated: 01/27/2014
Passed: 03/10/2014
Raised: 05/05/2014

Millennium Lodge # 779

Posted: 07 April 2014 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-11-27

Good morning,

I am also from Ohio and was present at the 1 day class in Columbus, Oh
There can be a strong argument for going the long way, as you will
have a better understanding of the degrees and masonry as a whole when
doing that, but for some people in this days 24/7 society it is not
always possible to attend meetings or specials and a 1 day class is
the only option they have in joining the fraternity.

Our lodge currently has 3 officers that have been raised on a 1 day class
and I would or could not say they are performing any less then the ones
that did not.  I think it is not about the 1 day class, but what people
do after being raised, be it attend meetings, or simply only help with
monthly breakfasts.

Maybe you should have lodge invite the newly brethren to your raising and
maybe even help out, so they would have a much closer look at the work
then they would have had at the 1 day class, I for one see something new
every time I see the work performed by us or in a different lodge, because
they do it in a different way. 

Treasure your time in the fraternity, and even though we say it over and
over again does not make it less true, you will get out of freemasonry what
you put into it.

Olaf

Signature 

I 10/08/12 P 11/26/12 R 12/15/12
Grove City Lodge #689
Grand Lodge of Ohio

Valley of Columbus, A.A.S.R.

Posted: 07 April 2014 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-08-15

I think ultimately it depends on what becomes of the man, and not how he was raised that really matters. 

Some of us are very good at our proficiency while others struggle, this can be the difference between going through the degrees in a matter of months or taking longer.  I believe that if those men go back and take some time to learn what occurred on that night they will be just as appreciative as those that took a longer route.

The best proficiency so far that I witnessed was a group of 7 brothers going through their FC together, 2 were clearly very strong and supported their fellow brethren as they worked through it together, in the end making them all as they should be, on the level.

Signature 

Bro. Joshua Manfredo
Senior Deacon
St. Pauls #14, Middletown, RI
http://www.stpauls14.org

Grand Order of the Sword of Bunker Hill - Gaspee #99

Posted: 07 April 2014 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4043
Joined  2007-09-27

I would say that in general, whether or not you have time to attend your three degrees is a GREAT test as to whether or not you have time to be a Mason.  To that end, I’m certainly not a fan.  I’ve also sat and witnessed (LITERALLY witnessed) men sleeping through their “raising” at a 3rd degree.  Any situation where a man is put in such a position to be able to be raised to the sublime degree and yet totally miss it is an incredibly flawed idea.

To those who can say that they were raised during a one day class and are actually a solidly participating member of their lodge, I can only say “Thank you for being an exception”.  I can’t think of one man who I have seen in lodge this year who was raised during a one-day class.  If they don’t have time for the degrees, they generally don’t have time for the meetings.

*End bitter old man rant.*

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 07 April 2014 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2013-10-22

Since I am as of yet not a Master Mason, I hope its ok for me to comment. Becoming a Mason has been a long journey to this point. I petitioned in October of 2013 and will receive MM in May 2014. I’ve spent the last 2.5 months attending catechism 3 to 4 nights a week for 2 hours each. Do I sometimes wish I could just spend 1 day and have it all done. Yes!!! However, there is something about spending this time, with 5 other guys I would probably have never met, that cant be taught in one day. We coach each other, check on each other, and congratulate each other on our success. Since the way we return our exam in MD depends on each of us doing our part, we each have a stake at how the others do. When we returned our EA exam a week ago, and knew we did a good job, you would have thought we won the Super Bowl. High fiving, and smiles all around. I believe this time spent has built a bond that would not have been created in a one day class. I am NOT saying brotherhood can not be built on going to lodge and participating in events, I just think it may not have been so special. Besides the pride we felt in OUR accomplishments, we have 6 or 7 instructors who spend their free time teaching the lessons to us. I saw the pride in them as we returned our exam also. These experiences I believe are a big part of building the everlasting friendships that unite our lodge.

So in the end I agree with Bro Dan….not a fan

Signature 

Michael A Cimino

EA 1-28-14
FC 4-1-14
MM 5-20-14
Mt Moriah #116 Towson MD

Posted: 07 April 2014 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  278
Joined  2013-04-04

I went thru the degrees one at a time. I am glad I did. IMO you learn ALOT more and understand ALOT better by having that span of time between the degrees to reflect on what happened and why. I did the same when I joined the Royal Arch Chapter. I received those degrees one at a time also. Some people I understand need to go the one day class route, but I agree, if you don’t have time to receive the degrees in the traditional manner you more than likely will not have time to attend the lodge meetings.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 09 April 2014 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2014-02-18

I have mixed feelings about one day classes. We had a gentlemen who got MS from Agent Orange in Vietnam. He wanted to join our lodge with his son in law at the same time (that way his son in law could drive him to meetings). Well we discovered a near by one day class and we were able to put them through. This worked out perfectly!

However,this is where I get mixed feelings, the one day class violated the obligation (I feel). The mentor we sent with the newly raised brethren said that everything was written out on powerpoint slides. Nothing was kept secret for just the members. During our lodge of instruction it was pointed out to the deputy grand lecturer.

I feel the work is more rewarding, sometimes, in a lodge. I mean no offense to any brother who went through a one day class. I feel that these are a useful tool for our on the go busy society. By I feel the memory work should still be done with each candidate after receiving the degrees with a mentor as a way of bonding with other brothers. I feel that with the help that newly obligated brothers receive that’s how they build the bond to keep returning to the lodge to strengthen that bond and to continue the brotherly love we have. To those one day class brothers who are active, I applaud you and thank you for staying active!

Signature 

Eric
Initiated: 8/16/12
Passed: 9/06/12
Raised: 10/11/12

Worshipful Master 2017, Middletown #271, F&AM;
Past Master

Middletown Royal Arch Chapter #143
Anderson Cryptic Council #69
Anderson Commandery #32
Murat Shrine Temple- Murpah Shrine Club 1st Vice President

Posted: 09 April 2014 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2010-05-24

I was looking through some boxes of very old pictures in my mother lodge and found photos of Masons and read through the old minutes of a very busy lodge full of men who took the time to attend lodge every time the doors were open . These men were family men , who worked jobs and many ran their farms when they got off work . They did not have all these modern conveniences we have today yet they found time to come to lodge at least once a month .

Now jump ahead a few decades , we now have all this technology and modern conveniences that are supposed to make our lives easier yet we claim not to have time to attend lodge at least once a month . So some jurisdictions create a One Day class , to make it easier and more convenient to become a Mason . To be honest from my personal feelings and also from my conversations with Ohio Brethren , that the One Day Class was created as a way to bolster membership numbers .

Becoming a Mason is not supposed to be easy . If it were we would be open to anyone and everyone . I could have stayed home and watched a movie or a game on the idiot box instead of taking ONE evening out of a month to attend my EA degree . Then I guess there were other things I could have been doing instead of sitting down with my couch/mentor for a couple of hours a day , 4 days a week to work on my catechism and so on and so forth .

You make time for whats important . Now I am not saying that family and work should take a backseat to lodge but going to lodge once a month is not a great hardship . I know some who claim that they are far to busy to come to lodge but I drive by their homes on my to lodge and see their vehicles in the Driveway and the soft glow of the TV through the window . I guess football/basketball/baseball is more important than lodge . I on the other hand look forward to getting away from the TV , the computer , the smart phone , the tablet and the family so I can go to lodge and fellowship with my brethren .

I do not blame those who have went through one day classes , I blame their Grand Lodge for giving them this option . But if you went through a one day class and you are an active Mason , then that is wonderful .

Posted: 11 April 2014 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2013-04-24
BrianPhillip - 09 April 2014 01:15 PM

I was looking through some boxes of very old pictures in my mother lodge and found photos of Masons and read through the old minutes of a very busy lodge full of men who took the time to attend lodge every time the doors were open . These men were family men , who worked jobs and many ran their farms when they got off work . They did not have all these modern conveniences we have today yet they found time to come to lodge at least once a month .

Now jump ahead a few decades , we now have all this technology and modern conveniences that are supposed to make our lives easier yet we claim not to have time to attend lodge at least once a month . So some jurisdictions create a One Day class , to make it easier and more convenient to become a Mason . To be honest from my personal feelings and also from my conversations with Ohio Brethren , that the One Day Class was created as a way to bolster membership numbers .

Becoming a Mason is not supposed to be easy . If it were we would be open to anyone and everyone . I could have stayed home and watched a movie or a game on the idiot box instead of taking ONE evening out of a month to attend my EA degree . Then I guess there were other things I could have been doing instead of sitting down with my couch/mentor for a couple of hours a day , 4 days a week to work on my catechism and so on and so forth .

You make time for whats important . Now I am not saying that family and work should take a backseat to lodge but going to lodge once a month is not a great hardship . I know some who claim that they are far to busy to come to lodge but I drive by their homes on my to lodge and see their vehicles in the Driveway and the soft glow of the TV through the window . I guess football/basketball/baseball is more important than lodge . I on the other hand look forward to getting away from the TV , the computer , the smart phone , the tablet and the family so I can go to lodge and fellowship with my brethren .

I do not blame those who have went through one day classes , I blame their Grand Lodge for giving them this option . But if you went through a one day class and you are an active Mason , then that is wonderful .

I was lucky in that I received the long form of the MM. Everyone has a different experience but the point is, you miss out on that if you are just watching it.

I see no difference in a ODC mason versus a mason who went through the degrees. However I will always know there is a difference of emotion between the two men when they recall degree experience or lack thereof.

Freemasonry is a journey. Hopefully filled with many years so a few months here or there for degrees is not a big deal if you make the effort to be the best mason you can be.

...the old cliche, “You get out of it what you put in to it.”

Edited: Our jurisdiction has discontinued the ODC this year.

Signature 

I-4-22-13
P-5-29-13
R-6-27-13

Senior Steward
Ritual/Advisory Committee
Mariners Lodge 150

F & A M of N.J.

Posted: 24 April 2014 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2013-12-15

I too am a Fellowcraft from Ohio waiting to be raised since March.  There are 5 new members of my lodge that went through the 1 day class.  I hope to meet them one day in lodge but only time will tell.  It doesnt feel the same to me as what I have learned so far going through the degrees long form.  While I am waiting to be raised I have been going to district inspections for EA and FC degrees.  As long as there is a MM who has sat with me in lodge it is my right as a FC.  Every time I get more and more out of the degrees.

Signature 

Petitioned 10/21/13
Initiated 1/18/14
Passed 2/25/14
Raised 6/28/14

Senior Deacon
Mid-Century #725
Avon Lake, Ohio

Posted: 22 February 2017 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2013-12-15

Two Years have passed and I am now Senior Warden of my Lodge and will be part of putting on the EA degree at this years one day class.  I still think taking the one day class is not the right way to become a Mason for most men.  However for a few that cant do the minimum proficiency or don’t have enough time at this point of their lives to go through the degrees long form but by joining now will help the survival of this great fraternity.

Signature 

Petitioned 10/21/13
Initiated 1/18/14
Passed 2/25/14
Raised 6/28/14

Senior Deacon
Mid-Century #725
Avon Lake, Ohio

Posted: 08 March 2017 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2014-10-16

Hello Brethren,
    I’m am also from Ohio in the 10th District. We have a one day class on the 25th of March at the Findlay Lodge. This will be my first time seeing or being involved in the one day class. I was chosen to be a mentor for a Candidate. I too like the traditional way. Just seems like you get a lot more out of it going through each degree…attending and witnessing other inspections as you progress and it all comes together being raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason! There is nothing like it.  But some struggle with their proficiency exams as well. Others just don’t have the time. I was surprised when I heard of the class and will see how it goes.

Signature 

Bro. Dave Johnson, 32°
AASR,Valley of Dayton

Lima,Oh Lodge #205 F&AM;
Junior Deacon

Initiated 1-5-2015
Passed 3-16-2015
Raised 5-13-2015
1st EA Chg 03-20-2017

‹‹ MM conferral      Passed to fellowcraft ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4350 seconds.