Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Feeling a bit discouraged
Posted: 15 August 2010 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-02-18

Good Evening All,

I’m a newly made E.A. & I have to admit that the night of my initiation & obligation will forever be a memorable one. However, after regularly attending the lodge meetings, I’m starting to realize that many if not most of the members are lacking the basic knowledge of the symbols, rituals & responsibilities that accompany holding certain positions/offices of the lodge. I’m guessing this is due to the lack or decline of membership. On top of that, I’ve been appointed an instructor who seems almost impossible to reach, I am financial but I have yet to receive a copy of the Constitution, Rituals and its been months since I was accepted. My Lodge is actually on break for the summer, scheduled to resume in September. I’ve been told that once we resume, they’re going to rush to get everyone up to speed (not sure what that means but it doesn’t sound good).

Am I missing something here?

Posted: 15 August 2010 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2009-03-16
Omar.G1978 - 15 August 2010 07:06 PM

Good Evening All,

I’m a newly made E.A. & I have to admit that the night of my initiation & obligation will forever be a memorable one. However, after regularly attending the lodge meetings, I’m starting to realize that many if not most of the members are lacking the basic knowledge of the symbols, rituals & responsibilities that accompany holding certain positions/offices of the lodge. I’m guessing this is due to the lack or decline of membership. On top of that, I’ve been appointed an instructor who seems almost impossible to reach, I am financial but I have yet to receive a copy of the Constitution, Rituals and its been months since I was accepted. My Lodge is actually on break for the summer, scheduled to resume in September. I’ve been told that once we resume, they’re going to rush to get everyone up to speed (not sure what that means but it doesn’t sound good).

Am I missing something here?

1)  In regards to getting Constitution, Rituals—I haven’t heard of a lodge yet that gives these to EA’s.  In my area, you have to be an officer or volunteer for a speaking role of a degree before you even get a “split ritual”—a code book that outlines only a specific degree. 

2)  In regards to your unreachable instructor:  If the lack of contact disappoints you, find a lodge brother you CAN get in contact with.  Everyone has done the work that you are setting out to do, so any of the officers or regular lodge attendees should be able to answer questions you have at this point.  I would advise you not to be quick to judge your mentor based on their availability.  Masonry is a voluntary organization and you never know when more pressing personal or professional issues may be interfering.

3)  I would advise you against further criticizing your Lodge’s aptitude at ritual.  I have yet to meet a perfect Mason who has every answer.  Masonry involves a large part of learning—and nobody learns everything, at the same rate, at the same time, or is able to perform a demonstration of that knowledge at a 100% success rate 100% of the time.  Find the men in your lodge that are the type of Mason you aspire to be—I guarantee at least one of them is—and ask them for help in the answers you seek.

The “summer break” can be frustrating for a new guy because you might feel it stalls your progress…it depends on how your lodge treats summer break.  One lodge I frequent treats it like they are school kids again—they run out the door, lock it up, and aren’t back until a half-hour before their stated meeting in September.  My lodge keeps a more ‘informal’ level of activity—we continue to do fundraisers, social events, practices—everything but formal meetings.  Every lodge is different in this aspect.

Posted: 16 August 2010 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

Some (not all) lodges, go “dark” for the summer. If you would like to experience Masonic fellowship, during the off-time, I suggest that you organize a “Masonic square and compasses” club. With the club, you could organize informal breakfast meetings on Saturday mornings, and picnics/barbeques for members and their wives/families. Ask some of the other masons in your community, if anyone is interested.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 06 September 2010 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2010-01-04

When i received my E.A. I was amazed at all the small reciting slip ups. I took it as a sign that we as men are not perfect. It was also good to know that the members of my lodge are human and are not stuffy sticklers for exact details. Although exact perfect details is what we shoot for. In fact i had a good internal chuckle and relaxed a little more during the ritual. I’d say wait until October and if nothing has changed approach another member with your concerns and as stated above switch mentors. My mentor was extremely easy to reach and i probably should have gone twice a week rather then 1ce a week to practice.

Signature 

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/australian-geographic-to-screen-lost-moonwalk-footage.htm
Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin with the US flag on the surface of the Moon (Neil Armstrong was not a Mason. Buzz Aldrin, however, is a 33rd degree Scottish Rite Mason, a Masonic Knight Templar, and a Shriner.).

Posted: 09 December 2010 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-06

Im an EA myself,and noticed a few “slip ups” during my initiation also….but am very honored to get a good mentor.I wish I could dedicate more time to lessons(I work out of town 2 weeks a month) but will test for FC in next month or so hopefully.Now knowing what I know about our small lodge,there is sometimes a shortage of members to work the chairs,so brothers get in positions they may not truely be ready for at the time.I think of it this way….I AM goinging into the brotherhood in hopes of building the lodge and working the chairs.And help newer and younger members come to join to build membership….so those who arent ready do not have to struggle.

Posted: 10 December 2010 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-03-29
HAUS469 - 09 December 2010 06:04 PM

Im an EA myself,and noticed a few “slip ups” during my initiation also….but am very honored to get a good mentor.I wish I could dedicate more time to lessons(I work out of town 2 weeks a month) but will test for FC in next month or so hopefully.Now knowing what I know about our small lodge,there is sometimes a shortage of members to work the chairs,so brothers get in positions they may not truely be ready for at the time.I think of it this way….I AM goinging into the brotherhood in hopes of building the lodge and working the chairs.And help newer and younger members come to join to build membership….so those who arent ready do not have to struggle.

Sounds like your lodge will benefit greatly by having such an active member as you!

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3632 seconds.