Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

11 of 12
My Masonic Journey…
Posted: 03 March 2012 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4099
Joined  2007-09-27

It’s always great to hear about how our work as Shriners helps and inspires others!  I wish you luck on your journey.

Signature 

Dan

1st District Membership Chairman - Boston, MA
Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
The Lodge of the Royal Secret - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 03 March 2012 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2012-03-02

It’s also why I refuse to believe conspiracy garbage people like that are not evil

Signature 

I would rather be hated for who I am then loved for who I’m not
-Curt Cobain

Posted: 03 March 2012 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-02

Also if I may ask how long did it tak you to progress through your degrees in the Scottish rite :)

Signature 

-Curt Cobain

Posted: 03 March 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4099
Joined  2007-09-27

1 day.  Like I’ve said before, you don’t “progress through” the Scottish Rite degrees.  Most often they are presented out of sequence.  You might do the 4th degree, 8th, 16th, 30th, and 32nd all in one day.  They you’re a 32nd degree Scottish Rite member, even though you haven’t seen the remaining degrees (which you eventually try to do at some point).

Signature 

Dan

1st District Membership Chairman - Boston, MA
Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
The Lodge of the Royal Secret - Boston, MA
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 03 March 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-02

Interesting that’s certainly different from what I thought but I kinda like that system :)

Signature 

-Curt Cobain

Posted: 05 March 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2011-04-19

Yes Dan, that is interesting, that is different than what I thought the Scottish Rite Degrees would be obtained. I always thought it went in order. But that’s what I get for thinking. lol. I’m coming up for my Master Mason Degree a month from today. The F.C. Degree was awesome. It was very different than the previous Degree and the information I recieved from the lecturer was intense. I do have my sights set on the Scottish Rite but i’m not going to jump right into it. I want to get a feel for the Blue Lodge and go through the chairs before I continue. Peace Brothers.

Signature 

Bro. Dave Maloney
Junior Deacon
Mount Zion Lodge #311 F.& A.M.
Troy,NY

E.A. 11/7/2011
F.C. 2/20/2012
M.M. 4/2/2012

Posted: 05 March 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  679
Joined  2009-11-18

Josh, I’ve been a SR member for nearly 50 years and for all that time have worked on the stage crew at my SR valley in Harrisburg, PA, which is in the northern masonic jurisdiction of the AASR. I’m also fairly familiar with how the SR works in Baltimore, where I live, which is in the southern jurisdiction. The reasons for the way the SR degrees are presented has to do with logistics.

There are two ways in which the SR degrees are conferred: the long way, and the reunion method.

The long way is to confer one degree (or maybe two short degrees) every week, in order, until you have reached the 32nd. The problem with this is that there are 29 degrees to be conferred, most of which are long enough that you can do only one each week. This means it would take nearly 6 months to do all of them in full form, which also means that it has almost never been done like this. In order to keep the process down to a maximum of maybe two months, a great many of the degrees are not conferred, they are “communicated”, meaning that the class merely receives a description of the degree. The 4th, 14th, 18th, 30th and 32nd (in the southern jurisdiction, and the 14th, either 15th or 16th, 18th, 31st and 32nd in the northern jurisdiction) are always conferred in full, because they are the core degrees; the others are rotated around so that those which were only communicated last time will be conferred in full next time, thus new members have an opportunity to see all of them eventually.

The other way is to hold a “reunion”, which is a general meeting held on one or two days, all day both days, usually twice each year. The mandatory degrees are conferred in full and a selection of the others are conferred in full, but the selection changes with each reunion so that all 29 degrees are conferred in full over the course of 6 reunions or three years, and new members are strongly encouraged to come back and see the degrees they didn’t receive. Degrees conferred are frequently not in order because of the problem of scheduling. There is also the problem of stage set up. For example, in Harrisburg, no one would schedule 27 through 32 in that order because they are all long degrees and would take up most of the two days available. Also, they require elaborate scenery which takes an hour or better to set up and no one wants to have the class sitting around for an hour or more doing nothing while the stage crew takes down one large set and puts up another large one. There are also degrees with several scenes which require different sets, which contributes to down time for the class. In other words, scheduling the degrees is like doing a jigsaw puzzle; you have a lot of material which has to be fitted together to maximum advantage with minimum lost time for the class. Besides that, they try to get in a popular degree like the 20th in the evening after dinner to attract members to come and see it.

This is just to let you and other readers know that the seemingly strange way in which SR degrees are done isn’t just wierdness or perversity; it arises out of practical necessity to allow new members to receive as much as possible without taking so much time as to be burdensome to the class or to the members doing the work.

And, by the way, just to extol the virtues of the Scottish Rite:  there is a lot of work to be done. In Harrisburg, it takes at least 600 men two twelve-hour days to put on a reunion for the benefit of maybe 50 candidates, twice a year. That 600 men includes: the various cast members (the actors), stage crew, robing, makeup, sound, degree masters, prompters, class marshals, tylers, choir, organists, orchestra, reception desk, first aid room, and the stewards who prepare and serve two meals both days. None of these gets paid. We do it because we enjoy doing it and being with our brothers. That’s the great strength and attraction of the SR: there is something for everybody to get involved in and have a great time doing it.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 06 March 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-02

wow that is really cool! the practicality of it i can definitely understand so no problems or complaints from me it looks like a very solid system and once again im impressed by the brotherhood of it i look forward to becoming a mason :)

Signature 

-Curt Cobain

Posted: 09 March 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-09

Wondering if there are any open houses in NH?  There are no lodges listed on this site.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted: 09 March 2012 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1478
Joined  2010-11-01

Don - Click on the “Find a Lodge near you” towards the very top of this page, it will take you to the main page of this site.  Under the words Find a Lodge, you will see a drop down box.  Select New Hampshire and it will take you to the GL of New Hampshire site that has a Lodge Locator that will show you all the lodges in your area.

Signature 

V:.W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Asst. Grand Lecturer Old 17th District
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR
St Georges Chapter #157 RAM
High Priest

St. George’s Council #74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Sr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S

Posted: 21 March 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-19

Yea so it’s finally coming up. Me and four other Fellowcrafts are getting our Master Mason Degree on April, 2nd. Can’t wait. All the hard work paid off and I am looking forward to what lies ahead. Thanks Brothers and have a good one. Dave

Signature 

Bro. Dave Maloney
Junior Deacon
Troy,NY

E.A. 11/7/2011
F.C. 2/20/2012
M.M. 4/2/2012

Posted: 22 March 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-19

Oh yea, when does my status turn from a newcomer to a member. Lol. I’m not a newcomer, i’ve been a member of this site for a year now. Ha Ha Just kidding guys. But yea i’ll let ya’s know how my 3rd turns out. Later fellas.

Signature 

Bro. Dave Maloney
Junior Deacon
Troy,NY

E.A. 11/7/2011
F.C. 2/20/2012
M.M. 4/2/2012

Posted: 22 March 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-19

Wow, that was freagin’ fast. Holy crap. Ha ha. No sooner did I post that I turned into a Jr. Member. Thanks Brothers.

Signature 

Bro. Dave Maloney
Junior Deacon
Troy,NY

E.A. 11/7/2011
F.C. 2/20/2012
M.M. 4/2/2012

Posted: 09 April 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-04-09

This thread really inspired me now on joining freemasonry…

Posted: 10 April 2012 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2009-09-20

FreeMe:  I am glad you have been inspired to join. 
My goal with writing this thread was to discuss
what goes on during the whole entire process of
becoming a mason wirhout giving too much away. 

If you have any questions or we can help you
please let us know.

Signature 

Eric Gagne

Marshal of Columbian Lodge A.F.& A.M. Boston, MA
Past Worshipful Master of Celestial Lodge A.F.& A.M. Westwood, MA
St. Paul’s Royal Arch Chapter Boston, MA
Boston Council of Royal and Select Masters Boston, MA
Boston Commandery #2 Boston, MA

11 of 12

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4472 seconds.