Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Good Lodge Education Officer resources?
Posted: 20 July 2010 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2009-03-16

Brothers,

I have recently been asked to fill my Lodge’s Education Officer position.  I’m not sure if every state has them, but here in Ohio we have this position, which is intended to oversee candidate mentoring and also with providing talks or other programs to keep enlightening the established brothers.

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to any resources they have for enlightening & entertaining education programs.  These are what I am aware of so far:

—Material provided by my Grand Lodge
—Short Talk Bulletins from the Masonic Service Center

The past Education Officers of my Lodge had a tendency to overdose the members on the historical aspects—nobody in my Lodge really cares to hear another biography of a Masonic US president for a year or two :) 

I think they would especially like things that are more interactive or just different from the Officer getting up and talking for 20 minutes, whether it’s a video or other media presentation.

Feel free to PM me if you don’t think it’s appropriate to post these resources on a public bulletin.  I would also appreciate any advice current/former education officers might have about the position.

Posted: 21 July 2010 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2007-09-27

Outsource it.

Find some good Masonic speakers and invite them to attend your lodge meeting. Offer them a complimentary meal. In Massachusetts we have a handful of Brothers who are known as good speakers who have developed compelling talks. I have to believe Ohio have the same. Not suggesting you need to do it every month, but having three or four throughout the year should be enough to keep it interesting and fresh.

Good luck.
-Robert

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3588 seconds.