Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Eastern Star Eligibility Question
Posted: 08 July 2010 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-07

I am new here and I am learning about Freemasonry and the Eastern Star. I am trying to get some answers about eligibility and it was suggested via a PM that I pose the question here as some may have knowledge of the answers I seek.

My name is Karla. I just have a question that you may be able to answer. I already have the Prince Hall Masons looking into this but I would like your insight.

My mom is married to my stepdad, they have been married since 1991, when I was 11 years olds. I was not legally adopted by my stepdad. His mother (my grandmother) was an Eastern Star and apparently her mother (my great-grandmother) was an Eastern Star and her father(my great-grandfather) was a PH Mason. I am trying to get into the Eastern Star but I am not sure if I am eligible because I was not legally adopted by my stepdad. Do you know if I am eligible through my mom’s marriage with my stepdad?

Signature 

This here, is my creative signature that is plain, boring, and has nothing substantial. Enjoy!

Posted: 08 July 2010 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  273
Joined  2008-01-08

Dear Elm,
You are an intelligent and articulate woman. I would google the OES site and also review the recent thread here at:
http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/1024/

The pieces will come into play. Prince Hall Masonic lodges are governed a little different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. There are clandestine lodges out there, too.

Take your time and do your own research.
Ronald Doucette
Forum Moderator

Posted: 08 July 2010 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2010-07-07
Ronald T. Doucette - 08 July 2010 05:57 PM

Dear Elm,
You are an intelligent and articulate woman. I would google the OES site and also review the recent thread here at:
http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/1024/

The pieces will come into play. Prince Hall Masonic lodges are governed a little different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. There are clandestine lodges out there, too.

Take your time and do your own research.
Ronald Doucette
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the compliment! I guess I have to thank my Asperger’s and my mom for that. My mom has always encouraged me to find my own way, I guess she can’t stop me, lol!! She may not agree with everything that I say or do but she’s always supportive. Also I started reading novels and newspapers at the age of 3 and although I still can, my reading comprehension can be a bit on the slow side.

I will check out that thread and I am pretty sure that the Prince Hall Masonry here is legit since they use the same lodge as the rest of the Freemasons and also the person that runs the Masonic Library and Museum here in Grand Rapids has been nothing but helpful in getting resources. (I also refer people that are curious when they see the Freemasonry related books that I read to this place.)I am still going to continue looking on my mom’s side of the family and plan to go up to Ludington to check out more geneology, particularly my maternal grandfather’s side since it is pretty rich considering that they helped with the founding of some of the villages up there.

Signature 

This here, is my creative signature that is plain, boring, and has nothing substantial. Enjoy!

Posted: 09 July 2010 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  659
Joined  2009-11-18

Elm:

The eligibility requirements for OES are listed in the webpage of the General Grand Chapter OES
http://www.easternstar.org/eligibility.html

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 09 July 2010 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2010-07-07
REYoung - 09 July 2010 07:52 PM

Elm:

The eligibility requirements for OES are listed in the webpage of the General Grand Chapter OES
http://www.easternstar.org/eligibility.html

Thanks, I have seen this website before but my question is if I am eligible through my stepfather who DID NOT legally adopt me but married my mother. I want to know if just being married to my mother and being a part of my family through marriage alone can make me eligible.

Also are there any online Eastern Star forums?

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2010 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  659
Joined  2009-11-18

You could submit this question to the Gen Gr. Chapter on the website and should receive a response. Maybe not right away, since it’s the middle of summer, but fairly soon.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 13 November 2011 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-06

I may be totally off….so PLEASE investigate further.I do not know about Prince Hall and OES associated with it,but in my jurisdiction(and many more)your lineage would come from your great granfather.As the women must be a relative,wife etc of a master mason to petition,not a relative of another eastern star.And as far as I “think” being a grandchild you would be eligible based on that.I would try to find what lodge/grande lodge your grandfather is/was in and if he is/was active(dues paid)now or when he passed away.Get a letter of good standing from that lodge to submit with your eastern star petition and use your grandfathers name and lodge number as your relative.

Posted: 13 November 2011 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-06

Oh well…....I just noticed this was 2 years ago..lol

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.7555 seconds.