Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Eastern Star
Posted: 04 July 2010 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-07-04

I have been a member of an Eastern Star chapter for several years now and have yet to experience anything close to what I read about Masonry. Is OES merely an organization designed to keep the wives of Masons happy, or is there an actual goal that I have yet to learn about due to my newness to the order?

Posted: 05 July 2010 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-10-04

I have been in the OES for several years (I am now the Worthy Patron) and we do a lot of the same things we do in lodge . We have the fellowship as in Lodge , we have our charities that we give to and work for , we have our special dinners and get togethers . We even have joint dinners with My Lodge . We have speakers come to our Chapter and we have education as does my Craft lodge . My Sisters/Brothers are there for each other when we are in need , just like my craft Lodge . There is always a Sister there to walk beside those who need a friend . I do not know about anyone else , but it has lit a fire in me to study more of the Bible due to those 5 heroic ladies from the Bible that our 5 Star points represent . And because of this I have gotten back into church . We do a lot of the same things done in my Craft Lodge . If your or anyone else’s Chapter does nothing but open , take care of business , close the Chapter and go home then it is the fault of the members , not the Order . You and your Chapter must create these things , start projects ,have education ( it does not have to be about the OES , we have had local fireman , teachers , police etc; give talks ) have fun together outside of your Chapter , create enthusiasm in the Chapter . Our ladies are always hanging out together , planning new projects and charities , getting together and visiting other Chapters etc; etc;

Posted: 05 July 2010 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2010-03-01
OESer - 04 July 2010 10:24 PM

I have been a member of an Eastern Star chapter for several years now and have yet to experience anything close to what I read about Masonry. Is OES merely an organization designed to keep the wives of Masons happy, or is there an actual goal that I have yet to learn about due to my newness to the order?

I am new myself, but I am confused…you say you are new to the order but have been a member for several years….can you clarify so I can better understand?  Thanks, John

Signature 

“How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.”
——Benjamin Franklin

Initiated EA: 06/28/2010

FC:????

Washington Lodge #61
Manchester, NH

Posted: 05 July 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

Sounds to me like MacB’s OES chapter is an outstanding one. Every fraternal organization should try to emulate it, Lodges included. Of course, it takes some effort and some real work, but it certainly will be worth it.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 05 July 2010 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-10-04
REYoung - 05 July 2010 11:40 AM

Sounds to me like MacB’s OES chapter is an outstanding one. Every fraternal organization should try to emulate it, Lodges included. Of course, it takes some effort and some real work, but it certainly will be worth it.

We are now doing great , but there was a time when we were struggling . But you are quite correct Bro. Young , it takes hard work and It takes the dedication of the Chapter to turn itself around and all it needs is one member to get the ball rolling . Start throwing out ideas , find one that sticks and run with it . Once you get that program/activity up and running , start another , then another . Soon you will have most of the membership behind you and coming up with their own ideas . But remember , all it takes is one motivated , dedicated member to show their love for the Order and their own Chapter to make things happen , you can get nothing started by standing idly by on the sidelines doing nothing .

Posted: 05 July 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-10-04

Sorry for the additional post but I would Like to relate this activity I started some years ago when I was in the Oriental Chair . I started a Lodge picnic in which all the brothers , their wives , children and even friends could attend . The first year , very few showed up and it was very disappointing . I did not give up though , The lodge had one the next year and more brothers and their family and friends showed up , then the next year , more showed , so on and so forth . I then included our OES chapter in on it , to where they could bring their friends and family members also . Now it is a huge affair , we have a great time , we play volleyball , pitch horse shoes play softball or just set around and get to know everyone even better and it has even brought in a bunch of petitions for the Lodge and the Chapter .

Posted: 05 July 2010 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

Well, brothers all and wheresoever dispersed, this kind of news needs to be made known in every lodge in every jurisdiction. If we had a few brothers like Mac in every area, think what a difference it would make.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 06 July 2010 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-07-04

Thank you, Mike. That doesn’t sound snippy at all. I will be studying my ritual a lot more this summer in preparation for my new station of Associate Conductress. I hope to learn more then. Thank you for your insight.

Posted: 07 July 2010 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-10-04

To learn the lessons of the OES you have to look no farther than the bible and/or our ritual book . All the teachings in the OES are based on Ruth , Martha , Esther , Martha and Electa . One does not have to look to deeply in to the ritual to learn , or spend hours of studying to try and understand , the lessons because all are explained very well by each Star point with the AP wrapping everything up rather nicely . Just read your OES ritual and all will be laid out before you , all you have to do is put what is taught into practice .

Posted: 12 July 2010 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2010-01-04

Being totally unqualified to answer your question OESer, did you get it answered? I’m curious on my wifes behalf if she becomes interested.

Signature 

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/australian-geographic-to-screen-lost-moonwalk-footage.htm
Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin with the US flag on the surface of the Moon (Neil Armstrong was not a Mason. Buzz Aldrin, however, is a 33rd degree Scottish Rite Mason, a Masonic Knight Templar, and a Shriner.).

Posted: 14 September 2010 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-09-11

My wife and I just turned-in our O.E.S. petitions.  We did our footwork before doing so and are eager to get started and involved.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3379 seconds.